Sammy Watkins and the Rams

DefenseWins

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I meant KB has had better seasons than Sammy. For some reason I thought he had a monster year 2, so I was wrong there. BUT.

Looking at the numbers they've had almost identical first 3 years though, didn't realize it was so close.

Point was KB definitely has the ability to be a better WR than Sammy. Excited to watch him healthy next year.

How does he have “skills” to be better than Sammy solely due to having identical numbers?  How does that make any sense?  He’s the slowest wr in the league.  His best “skill” is his height imo.  Skill is the route Sammy ran on Revis to get the 1st down his rookie year.  Skill wise, I think Sammy is light years ahead of KB.  Where kB is the superior player is his mental state.  Sammy is a loon.

i hope we get to watch a healthy KB next year, but I wouldn’t count on it

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills kicked the tires on bringing Sammy Watkins back for a favorable deal, he would be a good addition to the WR group. Maybe! him being traded was awaken for him mentally. We didn't have accurate QB's throwing him the ball. EJ got his ribs & ankle hurt alone on bad throws. Tyrod only threw deep balls to him. KB, ZJ SW would be a great receiving group.

10 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

If the Bills kicked the tires on bringing Sammy Watkins back for a favorable deal, he would be a good addition to the WR group. Maybe! him being traded was awaken for him mentally. We didn't have accurate QB's throwing him the ball. EJ got his ribs & ankle hurt alone on bad throws. Tyrod only threw deep balls to him. KB, ZJ SW would be a great receiving group.

I don’t see any FA WRs giving the Bills a look unless they are way overpaid. That could only change if the QB situation changes but not sure how much we will know when FA starts and the decent WRs are getting snatched up. It’s a thin draft for WRs and the FA crop isn’t great either so going to be tough sledding. That’s why trading  for KB was a great move imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Probably is, but we have a pretty terrible group so it isn't saying much.

I just don't agree with this assessment at all and don't get why people continue to claim this. QB play has a huge effect on WR play. Not to mention offensive scheme. Benjamin is a stud and better than Sammy. All of our WRs can play, they just don't get the chance to show it. Take note of how someone like Hogan becomes a borderline star with another franchise. He can obviously play, but wasn't good enough for us?

Just now, ko12010 said:

I just don't agree with this assessment at all and don't get why people continue to claim this. QB play has a huge effect on WR play. Not to mention offensive scheme. Benjamin is a stud and better than Sammy. All of our WRs can play, they just don't get the chance to show it. Take note of how someone like Hogan becomes a borderline star with another franchise. He can obviously play, but wasn't good enough for us?

How so?  Sammy's numbers are better and Benjamin now has to recover from a 2nd knee surgery. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

You fail to mention Eric had started 28 games by the time he was 25 compared to the 52 for Sammy.  Eric wasnt on the field for most of his first two seasons.  

Secondly I never said Sammy wasn't a talented player.  That route he put on Revis during his secons year here is still one of my favorites ever.  But talent without production doesnt mean jack.

With all due respect,  stats just aren't on your side wrt criticism of Watkins.........he's just THAT young still that you have to respect the upside.

The point of using the Moulds comparison is really to show just how young Sammy is.

Going into his age 25 season.....which Sammy will be THIS YEAR......... Moulds had done nothing and was considered a likely cut going into camp.    It was THAT bad.    He was a bust.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

How does he have “skills” to be better than Sammy solely due to having identical numbers?  How does that make any sense?  He’s the slowest wr in the league.  His best “skill” is his height imo.  Skill is the route Sammy ran on Revis to get the 1st down his rookie year.  Skill wise, I think Sammy is light years ahead of KB.  Where kB is the superior player is his mental state.  Sammy is a loon.

i hope we get to watch a healthy KB next year, but I wouldn’t count on it

73 catches 1008 yards 9 TD as a rookie #1 WR followed by 63 catches 941 yards 7 TD at 15 ypc suggests you are seriously undervaluing his skillset . 

Yes Watkins has more skills as I've already said but like you said, the mental states differ . 

My whole point was KB can out produce or match Watkins production in any given year, you took my statement a little out of context I guess

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With all due respect,  stats just aren't on your side wrt criticism of Watkins.........he's just THAT young still that you have to respect the upside.

The point of using the Moulds comparison is really to show just how young Sammy is.

Going into his age 25 season.....which Sammy will be THIS YEAR......... Moulds had done nothing and was considered a likely cut going into camp.    It was THAT bad.    He was a bust.

Most WRs take 3 years to reach their primes, and many never do.  Nelson Agholor was another young WR who was largely considered a bust until his third season (2017).  WR is a much harder transition from college to pros than most fans realize, especially when they see a handful of WRs breaking out as rookies. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see any FA WRs giving the Bills a look unless they are way overpaid. That could only change if the QB situation changes but not sure how much we will know when FA starts and the decent WRs are getting snatched up. It’s a thin draft for WRs and the FA crop isn’t great either so going to be tough sledding. That’s why trading  for KB was a great move imo. 

Trading Watkins for a second round pick.........which even then a realistic fan knew doomed the Dennison offense to a season without production from the passing game..........and then trading a pick that falls about 20 slots later in the draft for an injured KB late in the year was a BAD exchange.

We all appreciated Gaines WHEN he was healthy......he's a good zone corner........but the reality is that he was on the outs in LA and likely could have been had for a late pick...........not having Watkins and his likely 70-80 yards receiving per game changed EVERYTHING for the Bills offense.      

And now they have nobody like Watkins to sell to a FA QB or provide a lift to a rookie QB.............and KB looms as a pending FA with an $8M cap number and a lumbering, long legged tweener TE/WR with knee issues in a game where DB's are legislated to hit WR in the legs.  

We give a lot of credit to McD for trades..........but things like trading with KC instead of Houston and losing 17 spots in the first round when they were trying to get ammo to draft a QB and the Watkins/KB trades were not really winning deals in retrospect. 

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Trading Watkins for a second round pick.........which even then a realistic fan knew doomed the Dennison offense to a season without production from the passing game..........and then trading a pick that falls about 20 slots later in the draft for an injured KB late in the year was a BAD exchange.

We all appreciated Gaines WHEN he was healthy......he's a good zone corner........but the reality is that he was on the outs in LA and likely could have been had for a late pick...........not having Watkins and his likely 70-80 yards receiving per game changed EVERYTHING for the Bills offense.      

And now they have nobody like Watkins to sell to a FA QB or provide a lift to a rookie QB.............and KB looms as a pending FA with an $8M cap number and a lumbering, long legged tweener TE/WR with knee issues in a game where DB's are legislated to hit WR in the legs.  

We give a lot of credit to McD for trades..........but things like trading with KC instead of Houston and losing 17 spots in the first round when they were trying to get ammo to draft a QB and the Watkins/KB trades were not really winning deals in retrospect. 

KB's health is definetly a concern going forward but saying Watkins would attract a FA QB is a stretch. Watkins "talent" is outweighed by his maturity level. 

People mentioning him going to the Patriots! Haha, they already have Cooks who doesn't like running across the middle. Sammy isn't a fit for that offense.

He should do whatever it takes to get over to SF, Jimmy G. has one of the prettier deep balls in the league and Watkins would have a chance to build his value as he looks for a long term deal. 

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I’m not sure why we are still talking about sammy. There’s probably no other former bill that I could care less about.

good luck to the rams if they think franchising their number 3 receiver is a sound business decision.

I don’t think they will. It makes no sense to do so. I don’t think much of their GM though and he could very well be scared of the bad press that will come from having spent a 2nd rd pick on a 1 year rental who wasn’t even a key piece of the offense. He may get a comp pick though in 2019. 

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I 100% agree with what you're saying.  Watkins still is incredibly young and I think he is very talented.   But my point here, without using statistics is that generally you're paying a 24 or 25 year old wideout a rookie contract while their talent is coming to fruition on the field and they mature as a worker and person off the field. 

Again Watkins is talented, but I wouldnt be willing to pay him a free agent contract in the hope he becomes the wideout his talent suggests he may be.  This franchise has already spent way too much on him waiting for him to develop, I dont want to add tens of millions of dollars to our first mistake. 

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I 100% agree with what you're saying.  Watkins still is incredibly young and I think he is very talented.   But my point here, without using statistics is that generally you're paying a 24 or 25 year old wideout a rookie contract while their talent is coming to fruition on the field and they mature as a worker and person off the field. 

Again Watkins is talented, but I wouldnt be willing to pay him a free agent contract in the hope he becomes the wideout his talent suggests he may be.  This franchise has already spent way too much on him waiting for him to develop, I dont want to add tens of millions of dollars to our first mistake. 

You were right originally. His stats weren’t good last year playing in a prolific offense with a good QB and 3 other legit receiving options and an MVP-type RB.

there were 100 players with more receptions than him and 63 players with more receiving yards. 

You cannot pay good money for that production. The rams could sign martavius bryant to a vet min deal and he would exceed those stats (which he did last year, even after being benched).