Sammy Watkins and the Rams

DefenseWins

If I’m Sammy, I’m calling the niners and trying to sign on with jimmy g even if it’s a 1 year deal.  He’d kill it on that team next season

KB is broken.  We’ll have him for one more season and he’ll be gone or on the team and still broken.  I’ll be surprised if his knees are ever healthy again.  He’s gonna get smacked on his knees every time he gets tackled.  Sad, because he’s talented.  Yet broken 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Benjamin scored 3 TDs to Watkins' 8.  How did he have a better year? 

I meant KB has had better seasons than Sammy. For some reason I thought he had a monster year 2, so I was wrong there. BUT.

Looking at the numbers they've had almost identical first 3 years though, didn't realize it was so close.

Point was KB definitely has the ability to be a better WR than Sammy. Excited to watch him healthy next year.

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I meant KB has had better seasons than Sammy. For some reason I thought he had a monster year 2, so I was wrong there. BUT.

Looking at the numbers they've had almost identical first 3 years though, didn't realize it was so close.

Point was KB definitely has the ability to be a better WR than Sammy. Excited to watch him healthy next year.

I don't agree with that at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't agree with that at all. 

Why is that?

Watkins obviously has the speed and hands advantage. KB has the freakish size. Their numbers for year 1-3 are nearly identical. I don't see any reason KB can't out produce Sammy in next few years.

Vice versa as well.

I just think their overall impact on the field is closer than ppl think

Edited by JerseyBills

Just now, JerseyBills said:

Why is that?

Watkins obviously has the speed and hands advantage. KB has the freakish size. Their numbers for year 1-3 are nearly identical. I don't see any reason KB can't out produce Sammy in next few years.

Vice versa as well.

2nd knee injury for Benjamin makes me skeptical of his long term viability. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

2nd knee injury for Benjamin makes me skeptical of his long term viability. 

Well that'd certainly be a good reason. Haven't heard any reports though that Bills are concerned with this. Many players have came back to form after multiple knee injuries, Mcl 

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh.....stats?

At 24 he's put up over 3,000 yards and 25 TD's.

Eric Moulds had just over 500 yards and 2 TD's at that point in his career.

There's a difference between starting your career as the number 1 WR on your team and number 3 and 4 WR on your team. Moulds played behind Reed and Early. Watkins played behind nobody. Those numbers are misleading junior.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I still think Sammy is better than anyone currently on the Bills roster at the WR position.

You must be a scout, no?

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh.....stats?

Yet, somehow it doesn't quite feel like it.

53 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

KB had an okay year, he had 1003 yards.. I'd take Sammy over him all day.

18 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

There's a difference between starting your career as the number 1 WR on your team and number 3 and 4 WR on your team. Moulds played behind Reed and Early. Watkins played behind nobody. Those numbers are misleading junior.

Nah.

Moulds had the opportunity to play with Jim Kelly......he was drafted to be an instant impact player like Keyshawn, Harrison, Glenn and Kennison were from that same group......... but he was a VERY, VERY immature individual(dodging child support and choking out girlfriends) at an older age than Sammy who was focused enough on business to put up numbers.

The Bills mishandled Watkins.........he shouldn't have been put in the WR room as a 20 year old without a veteran to help show him what he didn't know.    Instead he got caught up in bad habits that he could point to as getting him to where he was...........like the over-training that lead to his foot injury........and that derailed him in 2016.    By the time they brought in Anquan Boldin Watkins was a 4 year vet with a chip on his shoulder about his handling and it was going to take work to get his head right.........work the Bills weren't confident they were up to.    Hence.......trade.

And WR transactions that happen late in the process rarely yield good statistical seasons.     See James Lofton in 1989........12 games......166 yards.   The next two years he put up close to 1800 yards.    Kelvin Benjamin and Jordan Matthews were examples of this right in front of our faces this year.     Funny how Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods put up better combined numbers with Tyrod in 2015 than they did with Goff in 2017 and yet KB and Matthews were bad with Tyrod.   Familiarity matters a lot.

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

KB had an okay year, he had 1003 yards.. I'd take Sammy over him all day.

I would too. But factor in cost and I'm taking KB next year all day. Again it comes down to production,which was identical 3/4 years , because of injuries KB was very limited in year 4. Ill take the extra 6-7 mil n take KB all day

32 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Yet, somehow it doesn't quite feel like it.

It doesn't feel like it to you because you doubt his ability.

Had he played with Tyrod this past season he'd have put up his best totals to date.......well over 1,000 yards.

8 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

The perennial under-achieving superstar. It's tough to admit for some, but the Bills are a much better team without Sammy Watkins. 

Could not agree more

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It doesn't feel like it to you because you doubt his ability.

Had he played with Tyrod this past season he'd have put up his best totals to date.......well over 1,000 yards.

Keep dreaming

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh.....stats?

You fail to mention Eric had started 28 games by the time he was 25 compared to the 52 for Sammy.  Eric wasnt on the field for most of his first two seasons.  

Secondly I never said Sammy wasn't a talented player.  That route he put on Revis during his secons year here is still one of my favorites ever.  But talent without production doesnt mean jack.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, theAteam said:

I would love to get Sammy back at a discount but !@#$ paying him elite $$

Him and KB would be a good duo taking attention off each other.

Just No!  McBeane determined Sammy wasn’t their type of guy and got rid of him.

FOGGETABOUTIT!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

In hindsight, that was a phenomenal trade. Regardless if Gaines re signs.

Very bold move for a rookie GM too and I love that he pulled the trigger.

Now he has chances at FOUR top 55 prospects, and continue to lay the foundation. I love the direction the Franchise is headed. We're in good hands.

Might be the first off season I've ever said those words. 

Just goes to show you that Beane knows much more than our resident "experts" on the board.    

Always  liked Sammy. He has a great blend of speed, hands and route running. Unfortunately for him he got stuck with a myriad of mediocre QBs and OCs that could never optimize his talents. When he was force fed and targeted his numbers reflected impressive results. The kid can ball but he also finds himself often injured. If healthy, he and KB would be quite the 1-2 punch presuming we acquire a QB that you know, targets his WR's.

Yeah, I know he had Goff last year, but being traded late a 1st year WR in a new scheme with that many weapons already there doesn't bode well. No chemistry going in and obviously none developed during the season like with Kupp and Woods.