“Rested” Gary Barnidge ready to roll

YoloinOhio

Go get Jimmy Graham.  

But...if we dont, then sure, he is a "kick the tires" guy, but cant see him getting a deal any where close to what he wanted before.  I would be fine with seeing what he can do, I mean won't be hard to be better than some of our other TE's, so definitely worthy of checking out.

Barnidge made decent money from that one year with the Browns so why not sit out if you don't get a good offer. Football is a violent game and a season is hell on your body. If you aren't getting a good offer in a situation that you like sitting out and not destroying your body is not a bad option. 

11 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Well we would have had the Barn thing covered....... Barnyard and Barnidge ;) 

Maybe he should re-sign with the Browns and go back into further obscurity ;) 

He might have been an upgrade over 2016's O'leary but wouldn't be an upgrade over 2017's version.

Couldn't agree more. I would love them to re-sign Oleary for sure. Clay is not so good when he is injured....Which is most of the time. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Barnidge made decent money from that one year with the Browns so why not sit out if you don't get a good offer. Football is a violent game and a season is hell on your body. If you aren't getting a good offer in a situation that you like sitting out and not destroying your body is not a bad option. 

Because as a marginal player, the offers won't get better the year after you sat out?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because as a marginal player, the offers won't get better the year after you sat out?

Then if the offers don't get better just retire. I wouldn't expect the offers to get better either but you have a price to put your body through the hell of a football season, if no one is willing to pay you then don't play. 

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Then if the offers don't get better just retire. I wouldn't expect the offers to get better either but you have a price to put your body through the hell of a football season, if no one is willing to pay you then don't play. 

I agree.  But he didn't retire.....

1 hour ago, Wily Dog said:

I believe that O'leary and Logan Thomas are going to be our TE's going forward, with possibly a FA. I Think Clay has outlived his usefulness here and is damaged goods ( knees ).

Clay is still talented when he plays, he just always gets a mid-level injury that not only causes him to miss games. He is way overpaid but the team wouldn't see any cap relief releasing him this season unless they did a June cut. Cutting him in 2019 saves you as much money on the 2019 cap as it would do a June cut in 2018. Basically, as a June cut the team saves 4.5 million in 2018 and 4.5 million in 2019 (The team takes a 4.5 million hit in 2018 and 2019.)

So the cap question become is Clay worth half his salary in 2018? Would you pay 4.5 million for a one year deal on Clay? I think I would, it gives O'Leary and Thomas one more year to transition into their roles. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I was saying that in context of IF you don't get an offer (which he likely won't get) then he should retire instead of playing for a substandard offer. 

Is this from the Ricky Watters and Latrell Sprewell book of life?

11 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Is this from the Ricky Watters and Latrell Sprewell book of life?

Football is the exception to the rule since football really !@#$s up your body. If you made enough money to live a good life for the rest of your days playing football then towards the end of your career (where a lot of the real damage gets done) you shouldn't take substandard offers to put your body through hell. Sprewell was towards the end of his basketball career and he got a three year deal for 7 million a season and he turned it down and never got another offer. Sprewell played basketball and got a good offer for a veteran player and he turned it down because he was an idiot. A player not wanting to kill his body in a football season for 800k when he doesn't have to is actually a smart decision. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Tolbert can still find work in the NFL then there is probably a place for a well rested Arny Garbidge.

If we keep seeing shallow draft classes like this year could be a lotta' vets hanging on rosters going forward.

...and Ryan Mallet will work for food......but he'll probably end up with a paycheck like Jimmy Pickle or Victoria Barkley somewhere.....Desperation 101 time for QB's...

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and Ryan Mallet will work for food......but he'll probably end up with a paycheck like Jimmy Pickle or Victoria Barkley somewhere.....Desperation 101 time for QB's...

There have been some great draft classes in recent years but I think we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop due to less of the athletically talented kids playing football.   

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There have been some great draft classes in recent years but I think we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop due to less of the athletically talented kids playing football.   

...but just seems odd that THE most important position on the field as in QB, has become the Achille's heel from what the collegiate ranks delivers....many posters seem apprehensive about the spread, Air Raid or any similar variations as the culprit.....but that's what fills college stadiums, makes boosters happy and leads to mega millions in bowl game invites....cited it many times, but hard for me to dispel the Steve Young quote (yup, THAT guy) where he said, "more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game".....remember when the Deadskins hired Al Saunders as their OC away from KC?...his playbook was purported to be 700 pages...700 PAGES!....hell you'd need at least six PhD's to grasp that ludicrous stack of paper............

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but just seems odd that THE most important position on the field as in QB, has become the Achille's heel from what the collegiate ranks delivers....many posters seem apprehensive about the spread, Air Raid or any similar variations as the culprit.....but that's what fills college stadiums, makes boosters happy and leads to mega millions in bowl game invites....cited it many times, but hard for me to dispel the Steve Young quote (yup, THAT guy) where he said, "more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game".....remember when the Deadskins hired Al Saunders as their OC away from KC?...his playbook was purported to be 700 pages...700 PAGES!....hell you'd need at least six PhD's to grasp that ludicrous stack of paper............

The NFL seems open to adapting the game to college level QB play.

Nick Foles just won the SB operating a college RPO offense...........so it's getting done.

The big problem right now is that the guys like Manning, Brady and Brees have been able to play for so long....because you can't hit them.....that they get so wise that it takes forever for the young crop of pocket passers to catch up with them.

Example:  Matt Stafford who enters his 10th season starting games in the NFL with a losing record despite his great talent.   9 years used to be a ton of experience.........but it's only half as much as guys like Brady and Brees.   It's a huge advantage.

Who the hell wants to wait that long?    Play a system that allows the QB to be good early........and that's what Chip Kelly did with Foles and Houston did with Watson last year etc..