Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Jackson is malleable, that's why. He has a big arm, is an electrifying runner, I like him. I think most people dislike him because of the whole 'black guys can't play QB' argument. Look past skin color, Jackson is more like Deshaun Watson than he is Geno Smith.

So was Vick.  So was Randall Cunningham.  How many Super Bowls did they win in the NFL?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

So was Vick.  So was Randall Cunningham.  How many Super Bowls did they win in the NFL?

Cunningham was screwed by injuries in '93 and '94. He had a great career up until that point. If he had a little more talent on that Eagles team (Reggie White not withstanding) he would have gone to the Super Bowl IMO. 

IMO, this should actually make the "draft a QB" crowd very happy.  If true, it seems a pretty strong indication that the Bills aren't going to pursue Cousins as a long term starter and are going to draft a QB. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Anyone but the extremists realizes that this is a prudent course.  You don't make a change at QB just for the sake of it because it can always be worse. 

Yup. 

And you don't dump him for some dream of an upgrade either (that's not even on the roster yet). If they draft a rookie and he beats out Tyrod this year, fantastic! Then he earned it legitimately. But you don't cut Tyrod before that rookie has taken a single practice snap, or is even on the roster. 

If they can can get an upgrade in free agency, I'm all for it.

IMO though, Cousins looks like the only real franchise type QB on the market.

Otherwise, pretty much everyone else looks like a bridge QB anyway. So if the plan is just to draft a 1st round rookie who wil most likely be starting in a year, im not sure I see a whole lot of point in aggressively pursuing one of these other QBs (Keenum, Bradford etc) who are probably going to be overpaid - in dollars and term.

Only problem is the draft is a somewhere around 6 weeks after free agency opens, so you don't know how the draft will shake out and if you'll get that 1st round QB you want. And I don't think they necessarily want to be stuck with Tyrod for multiple years.

So I could see it going either way, in regard to Tyrod. I guess it'll depend on how big of an upgrade they view some of these free agent QBs... 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Oh wow....really?

Michael Vick in his younger days was a number 1 overall pick who practically carried his team.....we would not take that here?

Randall Cunningham was also a fine QB

There are only like 5 QBs in the entire NFL that can do it all without help....you think we are gonna find a for sure one of them out of this draft?

Come on man....live in reality

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Jackson is malleable, that's why. He has a big arm, is an electrifying runner, I like him. I think most people dislike him because of the whole 'black guys can't play QB' argument. Look past skin color, Jackson is more like Deshaun Watson than he is Geno Smith.

I'm definitely ok with taking Jackson in the draft if he's still available for us. I understand why Tyrod can't be cut RIGHT NOW. He will be eventually. I hate Tyrod's game, too. So what that Vick and Randall Cunningham can't win the big thing? It's a team game. I just want a QB who can consistently convert 3rd downs with his arm. Tyrod is definitely NOT the guy who can do that. I don't wanna hear about his TD/INT ratio. That's crap.

From Buffalo Rumblings: 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/17/16896846/money-buffalo-bills-save-cutting-tyrod-taylor-trade-june-1-designation-release-salary-cap

If they release him before paying his bonus
2018 cap hit: $18.08 million
Roster bonus due: $6 million
Salary due: $10 million
Dead Money: $8.64 million
Guaranteed offset: $1 million
Cap Savings: $10.44 million ($16 million post-June 1)

If they pay his roster bonus before trading/releasing him
2018 cap hit: $18.08 million
Roster bonus paid: $6 million
Salary due: $10 million
Dead Money: $14.64 million
Guaranteed offset: $1 million
Cap savings: $4.44 million ($10 million post-June 1)

So this means is a $6 million insurance policy on the cap...is this right?   I guess if they designate post-June 1st its only a $400,000 insurance possible -- which is great. However, it puts $6 million in dead money into 2019 but that's okay -- Bills have plenty of 2019 cap space.

34 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

It's actually a smart move if they do plan on drafting Lamar Jackson. Taylor's contract is off the books in 2019 and any decent FA QB signed this year will want more than a one year deal. That means they'll have a lot of draft picks (this year) and salary cap (next year) to support Jackson's chances of success.

Exactly you are going to be committing to another veteran QB for more than 1 yr. If the plan is to draft a QB early the expectation they are going to start sooner than later.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I'm definitely ok with taking Jackson in the draft if he's still available for us. I understand why Tyrod can't be cut RIGHT NOW. He will be eventually. I hate Tyrod's game, too. So what that Vick and Randall Cunningham can't win the big thing? It's a team game. I just want a QB who can consistently convert 3rd downs with his arm. Tyrod is definitely NOT the guy who can do that. I don't wanna hear about his TD/INT ratio. That's crap.

I want a QB that can put up points. Tyrod has lead a couple top 12 scoring offenses. 

You can continue to try and upgrade Taylor. Keeping Taylor does not prevent that. I don't know why fans don't understand that. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Oh wow....really?

Michael Vick in his younger days was a number 1 overall pick who practically carried his team.....we would not take that here?

Randall Cunningham was also a fine QB

There are only like 5 QBs in the entire NFL that can do it all without help....you think we are gonna find a for sure one of them out of this draft?

Come on man....live in reality

Carried them to what?  These records below?

2001 NFC West 4th 7 9 0
2002 NFC South 2nd 9 6 1

2003 NFC South 4th 5 11 0

2004 NFC South 1st 11 5 0

2005 NFC South 3rd 8 8 0
2006 NFC South 3rd 7 9 0

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What’s the cap hit to trade him after his option is picked up?

I'm pretty sure it's almost the exact same. The issue to cap hit is that he got a signing bonus on his 2016 contract that was annualized. That dead cap creates almost as much of a cap hit than any bonus savings.

What paying the bonus does is give a trade that is a very nice one year option to someone who loses out on the Cousins bidding. $10 M a year for a one year free and clear contract? If there is another Bridgewater or Tannehill situation that's a bargain compared to Glennon or Cutler.