Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If it hasn't already been stated, this looks like it means the Bills won't be in the Cousins Derby.  I don't think they would spend that $6M on Taylor's bonus if they were pursuing the FA QB that is going to cost a boatload of $.

It’s a good decision. Paying Kirk Cousins $30M a year isn’t going to end well for someone.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If it hasn't already been stated, this looks like it means the Bills won't be in the Cousins Derby.  I don't think they would spend that $6M on Taylor's bonus if they were pursuing the FA QB that is going to cost a boatload of $.

I have never believed they would pursue him.  He's not the type of QB a team should build around. 

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Me, too.  Was never gonna happen, alas.

But let me ask you this:  If the Bills had signed him, how do you think he would have performed with our OL and our WR corps, and Dennison?

Similarly to the way he performed with the Rams is my guess.

11 hours ago, papazoid said:

SMOKESCREEN.....

beane is  using the press to try and save $1 million in cap space

TRADE:  Pre March 16th: $7.64M dead cap ($10.44M savings)

RELEASE: Pre March 16th: $8.64M dead cap ($9.44M savings)

much harder to trade TT if people know the bills will release him

The last and first sentences, true dat. 

The middle - not quite right.  What's true is that $1M of Tyrod's 2018 salary is guaranteed.  If he's cut and goes unsigned, the Bills are on the hook for it.

If he is signed, even though the Bills cut him, they owe him $1M - his salary.  So if he's signed for >$1M, they owe him nothing.  If he's signed for vet minimum, they owe him $85,000.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

About the same as Tyrod to be honest. 

I think, worse.  Fans would have been all "oooooh" at first 'cuz he would be trying to sling it, but our guys wouldn't be open or wouldn't be able to haul it in.  Then he'd be confused by certain Ds and throw 3-4 picks a game, and still bail out of the pocket early but be unable to do as much once he did bail.

As Dan Dierdorf said about Kelly in one of the Superbowl losses, "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your ass"

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have never believed they would pursue him.  He's not the type of QB a team should build around. 

SMH, who is then?  I think OBD should just book a flight to the QB orchard and pick the next Rodgers off a tree.  I think the Bills were interested.  But I think his price has gone up past their number, and they know it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think, worse.  Fans would have been all "oooooh" at first 'cuz he would be trying to sling it, but our guys wouldn't be open or wouldn't be able to haul it in.  Then he'd be confused by certain Ds and throw 3-4 picks a game, and still bail out of the pocket early but be unable to do as much once he did bail.

As Dan Dierdorf said about Kelly in one of the Superbowl losses, "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your ass"

SMH, who is then?  I think OBD should just book a flight to the QB orchard and pick the next Rodgers off a tree.

It's called draft and develop. Just as GB did with Rodgers.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SMH, who is then?  I think OBD should just book a flight to the QB orchard and pick the next Rodgers off a tree.  I think the Bills were interested.  But I think his price has gone up past their number, and they know it.

Just a reminder that Matt Shaub looked more than adequate in a Dennison offense, and no reason to believe that Foles would have been a horror show

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

About the same as Tyrod to be honest. 

I'm not advocating for Cousins. He's not worth what he will garner from the market. But I disagree with your stance that his numbers would be comparable to Taylor's. The difference is that Cousins can read defenses and get rid of the ball. And he is a much better passer. What do you think Tyrod's value would be on the open market compared to Cousins being on the market? There would be suitors for Cousins and zero suitors for Tyrod at the price that the former Redskin is commanding. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm not advocating for Cousins. He's not worth what he will garner from the market. But I disagree with your stance that his numbers would be comparable to Taylor's. The difference is that Cousins can read defenses and get rid of the ball. And he is a much better passer. What do you think Tyrod's value would be on the open market compared to Cousins being on the market? There would be suitors for Cousins and zero suitors for Tyrod at the price that the former Redskin is commanding. 

He’s talking about Foles

If Daboll would use Taylor like Lynn , and get the OL back to playing  like under Kromer . A healthy Glenn at LT or RT. 

A 1 year bridge to develop a drafted QB and Peterman. All depends what the Bills do in free agency before March 16 when $6M is due.

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

PS, just got back from Black Panther too. I really liked Michael B Jordan. That was one of the best villains in a long time for Marvel.

he looked pretty jacked in that movie.  he played a RB on the show Friday Night Lights.  the Bills shoulld give him a workout, assuming he could pass the ped tests! 

With the Bills picking up the option, which in my mind was never really a question, I don't think I ever considered it a viable alternative for the Bills to simply cut Tyrod in early March, mainly because it's doesn't improve the team at all, it is now a real consideration the Bills intentionally keep Tyrod until Draft day. Of course if they can garner a good offer, and for that I mean a 3rd round pick or better - I don't see that happening up to the Draft - then they'll take it. But, I think more likely than not, teams will try to trade a 5th, maaaaybe a 4th for Tyrod in hopes the Bills jump, and they might.

But I think it's just as likely the Bills go to the Draft with Tyrod in pocket, able to bluff the league into thinking he's staying, only to get their guy and then trade him for a mid round pick or even more likely to package him with another player and / or pick to help them improve their Draft position, but at that point, they'll know exactly what they have.

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's called draft and develop. 

Even the draft picks who develop into a decent NFL QB, more often or not, have a ceiling at or below what Cousins has shown.

And then there are those who don't.

I'm not dissing on the "draft" idea.  I think every team has to look at their roster and decide how much they can "pay the man" at QB and still develop, so if Cousins went over their price, I'm good with moving to the next plan. 

I just don't think it's realistic to paint Cousins as "not the sort of QB you build your franchise around" but plan to get someone better through "draft and develop".  You'll be lucky to get someone who winds up as good after 3 years, you have to live through those 3 years, and then you gotta start figuring out how to pay him.

Edit: You added the "Just like GB did with Rodgers" after I responded, but there's a very telling point there: at the point where GB developed Rodgers (and San Diego developed Rivers.  And possibly as NE developed Garappolo), they had a HOF starting QB.  So if it's "just like Green Bay", who is our HOF QB (or even our capable vet) we can play and win with while our draft-and-develop plays out?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, ALF said:

If Daboll would use Taylor like Lynn , and get the OL back to playing  like under Kromer . A healthy Glenn at LT or RT. 

A 1 year bridge to develop a drafted QB and Peterman. All depends what the Bills do in free agency before March 16 when $6M is due.

TT still couldn’t pass under Alynn and the offense was incredibly unbalanced. The stats looked good but the wins did not because defenses knew what they had to do in crunch time and they were one dimensional. A  DFS passing game is not a recipe for success. You have to have a balanced offense.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

he looked pretty jacked in that movie.  he played a RB on the show Friday Night Lights.  the Bills shoulld give him a workout, assuming he could pass the ped tests! 

I remember him from FNL