Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Baker and Rosen are the 2 guys that I think can play day 1. Bills fans will call for whomever to play day 1 but I think anyone outside of those 2 needs time. Seeing as FA comes first you need to insure yourself with a vet. 

If either Baker or Rosen is drafted the chorus for a change will come from the staff. And it will happen sooner rather than later. It does't seem like a good situation for Taylor or the organization. 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve never seen a guy transfer skills to another player. Have you?

men·tor : an experienced and trusted adviser.

...once again, what from his skill set do you want him to teach or mentor as an "experienced and trusted advisor" according to my Funk & Wagnalls to the 1st round rook and Peterman?....lay out your "lesson plan" Professor...............

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  You are paying $6M for the right to negotiate with future QB from a position of having a QB who can start and win (or at least not lose) half your games on the roster.

That is smart.

That is true to some extent, but presumably they like the QB that they are negotiating with better than Taylor so they still have to negotiate against other team’s offers.  I am not seeing a position of strength.

Of course, if the one they are negotiating with is a draft choice, then having Taylor won’t help n negotiating because the deal is mostly determined by the slot they were drafted in and deals signed by players drafted around the same time.

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Or....they are preparing for what could happen like a diaster like everything goes wrong in free agency and the draft at qb

because that COULD happen

That is true.  That makes it a $6M insurance policy.  That isn’t that bad in comparison to the cap limit.

2 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Can't wait!!!! One QB who's more seasoned and can't be a real QB and then another one with the same skill set 7 years younger.

Championship!!!!!

You guys up there in buffalo dont care for passing qb's do ya...

i have to imagine any other organizations fans would be screaming

if they had a a qb  that struggled to throw more than a td game.

We need to start calling it the battered fan syndrome...

but but but hes a nice guy....

Edited by Albwan

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

If either Baker or Rosen is drafted the chorus for a change will come from the staff. And it will happen sooner rather than later. It does't seem like a good situation for Taylor or the organization. 

I would think that those guys can go day 1. The Bills just don’t know the player that they will add. FA should certainly come after the draft. That’s what will make this year so interesting. Everyone will buy their insurance policy and then fight for their rookie. Tyrod, at that price isn’t a bad insurance policy. I don’t think that it alters the Bills draft plans. It just raises the floor. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Tyrod + Lamar Jackson = worst case scenario, as they are pretty much the same player; Jackson just happens to be a bit taller.

I really do believe you are mistaken, and I started out with that point of view before watching film. 

Bottom line:  Jackson as a Jr threw 36% more attempts and 33% more yards than Tyrod threw as a Sr (by far his best year).

Tyrod played in a very simple one-read offense, throw and go.

Jackson took most snaps from shotgun, but makes pre-snap adjustments, audibles, and regularly makes progressions.  He doesn't have much of a pocket, but he does step up consistently into throwing lanes when they're there and is always looking to throw when he rolls out (a lot of his runs appear to be designed runs)

His footwork/mechanics are still developing, but he has a laser for an arm and is more accurate than his completion percentage suggests.  He flicks his wrist and BOOM.  His WR are charted as dropping 11 or 12% of his passes, the highest amoung the top QB.  Allen is 7 or 8% I believe.

I'd suggest that you watch some film, except that I found it hard to watch his footwork and progressions (and I was really really trying to) because his running is so stunning.

Try this, which doesn't have runs, it helped me.

And this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2662128-the-education-of-lamar-jackson-how-louisville-qb-went-from-project-to-superstar

And this:  https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16928908/lamar-jackson-quarterback-wide-receiver (scroll down to it's 2018)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

men·tor : an experienced and trusted adviser.

...once again, what from his skill set do you want him to teach or mentor as an "experienced and trusted advisor" according to my Funk & Wagnalls to the 1st round rook and Peterman?....lay out your "lesson plan" Professor...............

Peterman wouldn’t be on my roster for one. Tyrod works harder than anyone on that team. He studies his butt off and is literally the first guy in and the last to leave. He has been a total professional even when he maybe shouldn’t have been. That is exactly the example that you want a rookie to follow. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No matter how much disdain anyone has for Tyrod, he makes the most sense to be the BRIDGE guy for whatever rookie we draft over a FA.  

1. He already knows the team, players, and most the coaches and he is a good teammate and leader with the players who works his butt off
  2. But MOST importantly, he would ONLY be under contract ONE more season and then next year we can sign an inexpensive backup or have cheap Peterman backup whatever rookie we draft this year.  
  3. If we were to cut Tyrod and sign a quality Vet, its going to probably require at least a 2 year contract as there will be competition for their services and that deal is also going to be as much, if not more, as Tyrods.  So when our rookie becomes our starter during his first year or to start the 2nd year, we are going to have more cap space sunk into a bench QB where as Tyrods deal comes off the books with no dead cap space hit.  

So who cares who the bridge QB is, might as well roll with a guy who knows the team, is liked by his teammates, has a winning record, and just led the Bills to the playoffs with a team friendly contract that comes off the books at the end of the year.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

if they draft a QB, although I expect they do pull the trigger this april and if put in to a position with no trade, he wont make it through the whole season before they insert the rookie in his stead due likely to poor performance. 

I can live with watching the rookie take his lumps over watching taylor run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if, although I expect they pull the trigger on drafting a QB and they if put in to a position with no trade, he wont make it through the whole season before they insert the rookie in his stead. due likely to poor performance. 

I can live with watching the rookie take his lumps over watching taylor run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

The problem is the Bills goal is to win. They are coming off of a playoff season. They aren’t trying to take lumps. They want to have as complete a team and hopefully hit on the QB. 

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

if, although I expect they pull the trigger on drafting a QB and they if put in to a position with no trade, he wont make it through the whole season before they insert the rookie in his stead. due likely to poor performance. 

or missing open qbs. or struggling to score. 

id even rather have peterman.

again bills fans have battered fan syndrome.

but ..but... but... hes a nice guy