Mike Mayock: There is no Carson Wentz in this QB class; wouldn’t put one in his top 5

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

I don't agree with you entire statement, but I do agree with this... This is the key right here... If you don't have this, it doesn't matter who you draft.

I'm for building the supporting cast before bringing in whoever you think is the franchise guy.

The Eagles added Alshon / Torrey Smith / Blount / Ajayi all the year after drafting Wentz.  Wentz also didn't have Lane Johnson for a large chunk of his rookie year.  A supporting cast isn't something that takes years to build.

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

So sick and tired of this.  Tom Brady in the 6th was a once-in-a-lifetime event and this mindless hyping of "promising late round QBs"  has got to stop.

Amen brother!

Your better off drafting a Kicker or Punter in the 5-7 rounds than a QB.

By far.

7 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I'll go on record right now, I think Darnold is going to be a bust.

I dunno about bust but I don't think he'll be as good as people think ..I think his long loopy release is gonna be easy to key on for one 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I guess, I was a huge Wentz fan but that doesn't mean their are no franchise QBs this year.  If Mayfield was taller he would be considered a better prospect than Wentz.

He didn’t say that at all. He just seemed to think Wentz was the best player in that draft and these guys are good but not that level. We will see. Odds are 1 or 2 will become franchise guys.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really coming around to this, but the point has been made, could we trust McDermott to develop him properly?

8 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Just stay close to 21 and get Lamar Jackson

If you want 5 more years of Tyrod type production then sure. He will keep you on the path you are already on where you might win 7-9 games and maybe make the playoffs. He can't pass you down the field with the clock running out and the game on the line. We saw how necessary that was in the super bowl. No thanks, we need a real QB not a gimmick

Wentz wasn't Wentz when he was drafted so it's funny that Mayock says that. Wentz was the 2nd pick in the draft because Wentz had a lot of question marks. There are 4 guys in this draft that would be graded very similar and 2 probably higher. So no, there isn't a Carson Wentz in the draft. There's 4 of them

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

So sick and tired of this.  Tom Brady in the 6th was a once-in-a-lifetime event and this mindless hyping of "promising late round QBs"  has got to stop.

Russell Wilson, and Nick Foles went in the third, and they both got rings! 

How many SB Rings do Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, and RG3  have combined?   -I'm just sayin,  -it's THAT type of QB draft again.

6 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Russell Wilson, and Nick Foles went in the third, and they both got rings! 

How many SB Rings do Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, and RG3  have combined?   -I'm just sayin,  -it's THAT type of QB draft again.

...throw in some skinny kid from ND named Montana that went in the third......weighted down with FOUR rings..........

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm guessing you're your favorite draftnik.

For the record, Mayock does one mock within a few days of the draft. And even getting 6-7 picks in the first round is considered good.

I would say these individuals are known for what they think of players, not necessarily where they slot them in a mock draft.  To use a broad brush and declare none of them worthwhile is absurd.

You have your opinion I have mine- take care

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Everything I've heard about Jackson is he's a guy who use his legs to soon, and his ability to read a defense is suspect  The only difference between him and Taylor is size. Am I wrong?

Every artfile I’ve read says the opposite. In fact, learning to stay in the pocket is a attribute. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m pretty sure everyone had RG3 over Cousins. 

Did you really find what he’s saying to be that outlandish to believe he’s an idiot for saying it? It wouldnt be too hard for me to find 4 players in the draft who are better prospects at their position than the best QB. And given what Carson Wentz is, I don’t see any of them being that exact QB either from what we know today. They each possess some very good skills/qualities though.

I agree, just that I don't listen to his theories anymore cause 50% of the time they are wrong. His statement wasn't exactly bold yet his word doesn't sit on much either.

My eye on Wentz last year showed me a guy who was was HEAVILY propped up by tremendous coaching and nearly ideal talent on offense.

So much so that I felt they could tinker to adjust the offense and wouldn't lose much with Foles......an opinion that drew some ire here........and then they won the SB with Foles.

So I'm feeling pretty good about what my eyes were telling me.

Now Wentz has a concerning "exploding knee" history and the salary cap will soon deplete him of a lot of that talent and teams will also adjust to what he and Pederson bring to the table.  So I am saying withhold the HOF votes, for now.

And I like Mayock's takes on everything except QB..........his QB eye told him Gabbert was better than Newton.........so his QB eye is as cocked as Doug Whaley's.

18 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Saying that none of them are in the top 5 big board isn't really that much of a stretch to be honest. For example, Mel Kiper and Lance Zierlein each only have one QB in the Top 5 (both of them have their #1 QB at #5).

Barkley and Quenton Nelson are probably the top 2 on most big boards. Minkah Fitzpatrick and Bradley Chubb seem to be locked in for most as well. I would expect most big boards will have 0 or 1 QBs in the top 5 with the exception of McShay. Not having a QB in his top 5 doesn't mean he doesn't think they're a great prospect.

Yea I only have 1 (Rosen) but I do have him at #2 on my board. 

Chubb, Rosen, Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Nelson is my top 5.

These days, it's very often the case, that from a purely grading standard, a QB isn't in the top 5 overall. Trouble is, once you factor in 'need', they leap up boards, often to the extent of a round early, but in the first, it's more that they leapfrog places.

None of the above means that the QBs are bad, just that they are overvalued.

I don't recall Mayock beating the drum for Wentz, but I may not have been paying attention to the top two QBs, as we weren't getting one. ;(

I do recall him beating the drum for Matt Ryan, and he has been right about him.

For whatever reason, I get the sense that Mayock is nowhere near finished with watching film of a lot of the QB prospects, and that there's a lot of room for him to change his mind. There's also still quite a lot of time for that to happen, as well.

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

These days, it's very often the case, that from a purely grading standard, a QB isn't in the top 5 overall. Trouble is, once you factor in 'need', they leap up boards, often to the extent of a round early, but in the first, it's more that they leapfrog places.

None of the above means that the QBs are bad, just that they are overvalued.

I don't recall Mayock beating the drum for Wentz, but I may not have been paying attention to the top two QBs, as we weren't getting one. ;(

I do recall him beating the drum for Matt Ryan, and he has been right about him.

For whatever reason, I get the sense that Mayock is nowhere near finished with watching film of a lot of the QB prospects, and that there's a lot of room for him to change his mind. There's also still quite a lot of time for that to happen, as well.

Is there anyone on ESPN or any other network that used  be a  scout  for an NFL team ( QB’s in particular ) ?