LOL have you heard Mel Kiper's mock 2.0?

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I have wondered how Kiper has kept his job for a looooong time. McShay, who also is not the greatest by any means, makes Kiper look stupid over and over. It kind of reminds me of the scouting department version of John Clayton\Sean Salisbury. 

The man has a great head of hair ?and that should count for something ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

The second I see a mock with Bills taking a center I ignore the rest of the guy's picks.   We have a solid guy in Groy and a hundred other holes to fill.

Mayock was head and shoulders better than anyone in terms of his mock accuracy last year.

But Mayock does his “mock” the day before the draft. That’s a bit different than in February.

I’m not defending Kiper. But I am defending logic.

5 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

You do realize that Washington just gave Alex Smith a huge contract worth over $20m per year and $60m in guarantees right?  They're not drafting a QB in the first round.  I'll guarantee you that right now.  Cinci's contract with Dalton goes through 2020 and is cap friendly.  I would rate that a solid "NO" as well.  The speculation was originally about the possibility of McCarron becoming the starter, and he's now a free agent.  It was also coupled with the speculation of a potential head coaching change, and the team signed Marvin Lewis to a 2-year deal just a month ago.  Actual statistics would also tell you that the free agents out there are not necessarily an upgrade over Dalton, unless you're talking about Cousins.  The TBD's right now in my opinion are Minnesota who, if they don't go after Cousins, will sign at least one or two of the guys on the roster last season.  For the Broncos, Jets, Dolphins, and Cardinals there's no doubt they need a QB.  The Broncos and Jets both also have need of a left tackle.  I guess I just find the notion that all of these teams are going to reach for a QB, when they have other pressing issues is a big reach.

Following up on your train of thought:

Denver, Jets, Dolphins and Cards all in the QB market.  I think between Cleveland and Giants Darnold and Rosen will be off the board (Eli is old and Giants have a rare opportunity to get a top QB prospect).

Say Broncos sign Cousins, I then expect Jets to take either Mayfield or Allen.  That means after pick 6 Jackson, Rudolph and Allen or Mayfield are left.  

The next most desperate team is the Cards - they have a good defense and some offensive pieces in David Johnson and the aged Larry Fitzgerald.  I could imagine them signing Breadford and hoping he has one last healthy run in him.

Miami is interesting because I think Tannehill is decent and I don’t see any FA QB as an upgrade other than Cousins.

Of the two, I think Arizona is more likely to sign a FA and pass on QB in the draft.  If Miami wants to upgrade at QB,their only option is the draft.

Either way, I think whoever between Mayfield or Allen is left will be picked by one of thos teams.  That leaves Bills with a choice between Rudolph and Jackson.

if the Bills want someone other than those two, they will likely pay a significant price to get ahead of Miami.

if they can find a trade partner, I could be on board with trading both 1sts to get high enough to get the 4th QB. 

I am am clearly not optimistic that the Bills can get high enough to get one of the top 3

I have no problem with an OLer at 21 or 22, but drafting a DB in the first will tell me that however much the new regime seems to be an improvement over the old regime, nothing much seems to change.  It's not like the Bills don't need an upgrade at several other positions ... say RB, DT, LB ... even if they couldn't trade up or didn't want the QB(s) they could get.

14 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

It's like they're not even trying.  I'm not in the head of the front office or coaching staff, but would think that Groy will play center.  Assuming that Groy does play center, there's no way the Bills draft a Center in the first round.  Also, cornerback?  That's just lazy.

Yeah, some of the comments I’ve read from those having them take a CB are like “They lost Gillmore last year in free agency, traded away Darby and Gaines will be a free agent so they need to get a CB in the 1st”. Last offseason’s moves no longer matter.

15 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Darnold to Denver, Mayfield to Jets, Rosen to Dolphins, and the Bills take a CB and a C...

How about a punter and a kicker :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, joesixpack said:

You're damned right, and I do lift.

:angry:

How much?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

21 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Lol that would be awful.

Good news is mock drafts don’t mean a whole lot until the combine and pro days are done 

Fixed :P

I usually like DraftTek (with our own Astro!), but especially this year with reasons to trade up in the first round, it's really hard to predict how things fall.

4 of 11 starters on defense - more than 1/3 of the defense - is made up of DBs, so it shouldn’t be that big of a surprise that a lot of DBs get drafted.  In many cases, teams play an extra DB and then 45% of the defensive players are DBs.

Edited by OldTimer1960

sorry haven't read all 4 pages 

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/94056/mel-kiper-sees-scenario-where-browns-take-saquon-barkley-first-qb-fourth

Mel Kiper sees scenario where Browns take Saquon Barkley first, QB fourth.

Kiper’s reasoning: If the Browns have close grades on two or three quarterbacks, they could easily take Barkley first. Kiper already has gone on record saying Barkley is the best player in the draft.

“He’s got great lower body strength,” Kiper said. “Powerful kid in the lower body. That’s why he breaks tackles. He can stop on a dime and make people miss. (He) catches the ball out of the backfield.”

Which lends him to the first overall pick, except for one fact: he plays running back. The position has become devalued in the NFL.

18 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

The second I see a mock with Bills taking a center I ignore the rest of the guy's picks.   We have a solid guy in Groy and a hundred other holes to fill.

Mayock was head and shoulders better than anyone in terms of his mock accuracy last year.

I believe Charlie Campbell from WalterFootball was actually the most accurate last year. Mayock was most accurate two years ago.

7 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Yeah, some of the comments I’ve read from those having them take a CB are like “They lost Gillmore last year in free agency, traded away Darby and Gaines will be a free agent so they need to get a CB in the 1st”. Last offseason’s moves no longer matter.

I don't think they'll take another corner in the 1st after doing so last year, but to be fair, if they let Gaines walk, corner is probably one of the 3 biggest needs the team has.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I believe Charlie Campbell from WalterFootball was actually the most accurate last year. Mayock was most accurate two years ago.

He'd have had to go some to beat our very own Bandit.  Bandit nailed the 1st round last year.  He got a lot of exact matches.  

On 2/21/2018 at 6:32 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He has the Browns drafting Allen #1 overall.  The rest is Insider so I can't see it.

Has Kiper got anyone's pick like once ever? 

His analysis are great color for the draft and hes very likable in regards to watching/listening to him however, he has to be the most inaccurate to ever do it. Ironically enough he seems to be the poster child for the 'mock draft'? Lmao, its almost a better omen that he has us going 180 degrees from a QB. If they measured his 'success' at ESPN by how many hits he had he would have lost the job decades ago.

20 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Following up on your train of thought:

Denver, Jets, Dolphins and Cards all in the QB market.  I think between Cleveland and Giants Darnold and Rosen will be off the board (Eli is old and Giants have a rare opportunity to get a top QB prospect).

Say Broncos sign Cousins, I then expect Jets to take either Mayfield or Allen.  That means after pick 6 Jackson, Rudolph and Allen or Mayfield are left.  

The next most desperate team is the Cards - they have a good defense and some offensive pieces in David Johnson and the aged Larry Fitzgerald.  I could imagine them signing Breadford and hoping he has one last healthy run in him.

Miami is interesting because I think Tannehill is decent and I don’t see any FA QB as an upgrade other than Cousins.

Of the two, I think Arizona is more likely to sign a FA and pass on QB in the draft.  If Miami wants to upgrade at QB,their only option is the draft.

Either way, I think whoever between Mayfield or Allen is left will be picked by one of thos teams.  That leaves Bills with a choice between Rudolph and Jackson.

if the Bills want someone other than those two, they will likely pay a significant price to get ahead of Miami.

if they can find a trade partner, I could be on board with trading both 1sts to get high enough to get the 4th QB. 

I am am clearly not optimistic that the Bills can get high enough to get one of the top 3

I like much of your logic, but for the Giants.  Everyone loves to say that Eli is basically done and his career is over.  The problem is simply that the Giants organization is not saying that.  Their head coach came out and said "Eli is our quarterback".  Eli has said that he wants to continue playing.  Why can't he play until age 40?  There's other guys that have done it.  Heck, Tom Brady was 40 THIS year and lead the league in passing.  Given the fiasco of benching Eli this last year, I don't see the Giants drafting that way, when there's either Saquan Barkley or Brandon Chubb available at #2.  Your logic is otherwise sound, and I see no way that the Bills will get better than the 5th QB (maybe 6th) on the board if they pick one in the first round.

Another scenario that doesn't bother me all that much is the Bills getting Bradford on the cheap.  When he can stay healthy, he's pretty darn good.  Maybe he takes the "show me" contract like he did with Minnesota before getting hurt again.  Then drafting the 5th-6th QB available isn't so bad for a late first round pick.  It seems very unlike BB to move up to get the 3rd QB, unless he were somehow Buffalo's #1 QB target.  If somehow this turns out to be the case, look for Buffalo to swap both first rounders and a second for Denver's pick in the first and possibly a later pick.  IMO, it's very possible that only one QB is off the board at that point unless the Jets move up.

1. Kiper is an idiot

2. Who really cares, seriously, just because they draft a QB doesn't mean its going to work out.

3. All teams are looking to get better

Im not a draft guru but why would we take another cb in the first round after hitting on one last year??? If he turns into another stud (which is what your shooting for in round 1) It'll be very hard to keep both of them why wouldn't you shoot for a guy that you can keep for 10 years. The center selection just makes me believe that Mel just didnt do his homework, we have so many needs across the oline when groy is a capable starter. RG is a question, RT isnt anything special, Richie isnt a spring chicken.

1 hour ago, Luxy312 said:

I like much of your logic, but for the Giants.  Everyone loves to say that Eli is basically done and his career is over.  The problem is simply that the Giants organization is not saying that.  Their head coach came out and said "Eli is our quarterback".  Eli has said that he wants to continue playing.  Why can't he play until age 40?  There's other guys that have done it.  Heck, Tom Brady was 40 THIS year and lead the league in passing.  Given the fiasco of benching Eli this last year, I don't see the Giants drafting that way, when there's either Saquan Barkley or Brandon Chubb available at #2.  Your logic is otherwise sound, and I see no way that the Bills will get better than the 5th QB (maybe 6th) on the board if they pick one in the first round.

Another scenario that doesn't bother me all that much is the Bills getting Bradford on the cheap.  When he can stay healthy, he's pretty darn good.  Maybe he takes the "show me" contract like he did with Minnesota before getting hurt again.  Then drafting the 5th-6th QB available isn't so bad for a late first round pick.  It seems very unlike BB to move up to get the 3rd QB, unless he were somehow Buffalo's #1 QB target.  If somehow this turns out to be the case, look for Buffalo to swap both first rounders and a second for Denver's pick in the first and possibly a later pick.  IMO, it's very possible that only one QB is off the board at that point unless the Jets move up.

If both 1sts and 1 second gets them to 5, I’d be quite happy.  I wonder how they rank the QBs and whether they would be happy with any of 2 or 3 that could be available.

Kiper isn't going to be right on all his predictions...especially trying to predict what players get drafted by a team.  Much more embarrassing when any draftnik(including the ones here) tout players highly who end up busting.  Then again, GM's can't get all the picks correct, so why would anyone expect the draftniks too?  ;)

I find Mel & McShay very entertaining on draft day.

Edited by LabattBlue