2016 Sports Illustrated article on Josh Rosen

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Per APR scores, Alabama can claim top 25 status academically as well as on football field

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/per-apr-scores-alabama-football-can-claim-top-25-status-academically-as-well-on-the-field

From your link.

The APR is a barometer for how well athletes are on pace to graduate, and covers a four-year period, in this case from 2012-13 through the 2015-16 school years.

Graduate with what degree? For Alabama it says.

It shows the top four are Business, Exercise and Sport Science, Communications Studies and Criminal Justice, with 19, 17, 10 and 9 athletes respectively.

Why is this important? As we reported earlier, when athletes pursue the same major, something known as clustering, it raises questions whether they are taking the classes they need for an education, or being steered to easy (or in the case of UNC-Chapel Hill, fake) classes that help keep them eligible.

The 2017 roster (not including freshman which usually have not declared their major) has 24 seniors, 26 juniors, and 29 sophomores for a total of 79 players. Four majors account for roughly 70% of the players in a university that offers 72 undergraduate degree programs. One might tend to think the APR barometer in nothing more than NCAA PR.

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Show me your data on the average football player at UA vs UCLA. I am sure Rosen heavily researched it before he shot of his mouth and showed what an idiot he is. :) Funny, I don't see UCLA on this list.

Per APR scores, Alabama can claim top 25 status academically as well as on football field

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/per-apr-scores-alabama-football-can-claim-top-25-status-academically-as-well-on-the-field

Go on believing whatever you’d like, you’re entrenched in your opinion and I am in mind. FWIW, I was NOT Rosen fan for most of the season, it wasn’t until I started reading more about him and seeing all of his statements in full context did I start to come around to my belief that not only does he possess the football ability but he will be able to command a team’s respect as he matures through some age appropriate issues.

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

The personality stuff isn't trivial for a quarterback. I don't see him as a cultural fit for Buffalo. And I don't think his rich kid elitist attitude will help him.

And again, other than you disagree with and don’t like his comments about Alabama, what gives you the idea he is “elitist”? If you read the articles you read how he was concerned about the general welfare of his teammates and fellow students when in high school. These types of comments demonstrate an agenda without seeking the information objectively. 

7 hours ago, peterpan said:

This is another good article worth reading, focuses more on the football aspect.

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-110

In short the only knock on Rosen is off the field personality stuff.  Otherwise scouts think he is the best QB years. 

I think people are reading into the personality stuff too much too. It's the NFL.  It's a job.  People go home to their kids and families.  So not, personally, being liked by team mates and all....Big deal.  I guarantee you Tom Brady isn't liked by his team mates off the field either.  Dude is the spokesman for Uggs. But they love him when they win.  Rosen will be loved too when he wins. 

Well said. I agree. 

I just hope all this off field/personality "issues" scare off some of the teams at the top of the draft and allow him to fall to a pick where the Bills can draft him! 

I don't care about his personality nearly as much as his on the field play anyway. If Rosen looks like the most talented QB with the highest ceiling (and floor IMO) in this draft, with the most potential to be special (which he does IMO) then that's who I want. 

44 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else on the board, but I find it to be a nice breakdown of Rosen (albeit slightly biased) :lol:

https://www.diehards.com/ucla/film-room-good-bad-attitude-top-nfl-draft-prospect-josh-rosen

Good find, thanks.  Yeah, biased but lots of good clips.

At this point,  I don't think Mora's question "do you want to be Manziel or Manning?" is what worries NFL executives.

I think they're worried they'll draft Rosen and wind up with Kaepernick who can pass.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

10 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Go on believing whatever you’d like, you’re entrenched in your opinion and I am in mind. FWIW, I was NOT Rosen fan for most of the season, it wasn’t until I started reading more about him and seeing all of his statements in full context did I start to come around to my belief that not only does he possess the football ability but he will be able to command a team’s respect as he matures through some age appropriate issues.

And again, other than you disagree with and don’t like his comments about Alabama, what gives you the idea he is “elitist”? If you read the articles you read how he was concerned about the general welfare of his teammates and fellow students when in high school. These types of comments demonstrate an agenda without seeking the information objectively. 

"He was concerned about the general welfare of his teammates and fellow students when in high school"

What does that mean? Colin is very concerned about the welfare of humanity too. How has that worked out?

The guy is a loose canon who has no filter ie. wearing an F Trump hat to Trump's golf course, making an idiotic statement about Alabama, etc. Red flags all over this guy.

We'll see how much further he drops after the interviews. He has bust written all over him.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/02/is_ucla_qb_josh_rosen_tumbling_mel_kiper_explains.html

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

"He was concerned about the general welfare of his teammates and fellow students when in high school"

What does that mean? Colin is very concerned about the welfare of humanity too. How has that worked out?

The guy is a loose canon who has no filter ie. wearing an F Trump hat to Trump's golf course, making an idiotic statement about Alabama, etc. Red flags all over this guy.

So because apparently you didn't read the articles, I'll make it easy for you and insert some quotes:

• "'So many of my teammates have nothing. I have a platform where I can advocate.' " - in reference to his comments about how NCAA athletes aren't paid because they're considered "amateurs"
  • "Bosco went 12–2 in Rosen's senior year, and along the way he endeared himself to the coaches and faculty by napping on the floor of the football offices, raising money through local businesses to help kids on his team pay for road trips and earning a weighted 4.8 GPA"
  • "On Christmas Eve two years ago Rosen fell asleep on Mora's couch. Last Christmas the Moras hosted the Rosens. The day after UCLA lost to rival USC 40–21 to close the regular season, Rosen showed up at Mora's house. They watched an NFL game together, mostly in silence. Mora took that as a sweet gesture, a player stopping by to pick up his coach."
  • "....quarterback who can make enough money off the field to play for the league minimum so his team can spend its salary cap space on his teammates."

Does any of this make him a saint? Absolutely not....does he still need to mature through some of the frat-boy mindset at times? Of course....but what this DOES show, he is not nearly as self-centered and "elitist" as you have painted him. He made a snide comment about how Alabama's metrics for college acceptance is lower than UCLA's and that such a lower standard allows Alabama to have superior athletes and therefore, an incredible football program - which you dispute, and took issue with because Alabama is your alma mater. The rest is your own spin because you don't like him....fair enough, no need to like or dislike or care....but then you need to own it, and not create an image of him that a reasonable, objective individual should arrive at the same conclusion. 

Furthermore, you continue to get stuck on his opinions and how he voices them....his 1st Amendment right is no different than yours or mine, we all share that basic civil liberty - he just has a larger audience than you or I, and he knows it...so he's using such audience to his advantage. Good. I wish more would do that with careful insight, well-informed opinions and ideologies, and with passion. The world needs more of this, from all viewpoints and perspectives. Those that support a certain brand of politics and those that oppose it. If you love America, then you love the incredible star-spangled freedom we all have to Constitutional liberty....even Josh Rosen.

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

So because apparently you didn't read the articles, I'll make it easy for you and insert some quotes:

• "'So many of my teammates have nothing. I have a platform where I can advocate.' " - in reference to his comments about how NCAA athletes aren't paid because they're considered "amateurs"
  • "Bosco went 12–2 in Rosen's senior year, and along the way he endeared himself to the coaches and faculty by napping on the floor of the football offices, raising money through local businesses to help kids on his team pay for road trips and earning a weighted 4.8 GPA"
  • "On Christmas Eve two years ago Rosen fell asleep on Mora's couch. Last Christmas the Moras hosted the Rosens. The day after UCLA lost to rival USC 40–21 to close the regular season, Rosen showed up at Mora's house. They watched an NFL game together, mostly in silence. Mora took that as a sweet gesture, a player stopping by to pick up his coach."
  • "....quarterback who can make enough money off the field to play for the league minimum so his team can spend its salary cap space on his teammates."

Does any of this make him a saint? Absolutely not....does he still need to mature through some of the frat-boy mindset at times? Of course....but what this DOES show, he is not nearly as self-centered and "elitist" as you have painted him. He made a snide comment about how Alabama's metrics for college acceptance is lower than UCLA's and that such a lower standard allows Alabama to have superior athletes and therefore, an incredible football program - which you dispute, and took issue with because Alabama is your alma mater. The rest is your own spin because you don't like him....fair enough, no need to like or dislike or care....but then you need to own it, and not create an image of him that a reasonable, objective individual should arrive at the same conclusion. 

Furthermore, you continue to get stuck on his opinions and how he voices them....his 1st Amendment right is no different than yours or mine, we all share that basic civil liberty - he just has a larger audience than you or I, and he knows it...so he's using such audience to his advantage. Good. I wish more would do that with careful insight, well-informed opinions and ideologies, and with passion. The world needs more of this, from all viewpoints and perspectives. Those that support a certain brand of politics and those that oppose it. If you love America, then you love the incredible star-spangled freedom we all have to Constitutional liberty....even Josh Rosen.

I always get a kick out of the thought process of because someone is a famous actor, or a famous musician or a sports celebrity everybody is interested in their political opinions & their opinions.  I could careless about what Rosen thinks about Trump or any of his other political views.  I just don't care.  Shut up and play football, no one is interested in what you think. 

• Like (+1) 1

BigBuff423counterpoint.

NFL Scout and Executive on Josh Rosen: "Tons of Issues" and "a Mess Off the Field"

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/04/nfl-scout-and-executive-on-josh-rosen-tons-of-issues-and-a-mess-off-the-field/

He should play football and save his social justice warrior activities until he graduates. How well do you think his teammates will take to him trashing their alma maters? He targeted Alabama and Clemson in his ignorant comments, but it could have been any school that he perceives isn't the equal of UCLA.

UCLA QB Rosen’s demeanor reportedly cost him offer from Stanford

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ucla-bruins-stanford-cardinal-josh-rosen-dream-school-101515

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I always get a kick out of the thought process of because someone is a famous actor, or a famous musician or a sports celebrity everybody is interested in their political opinions & their opinions.  I could careless about what Rosen thinks about Trump or any of his other political views.  I just don't care.  Shut up and play football, no one is interested in what you think. 

The problem with this way of thinking is that is contrary to someone's basic Constitutional freedom. If you don't want to listen, you're entitled to shut it off....but he's just as entitled, as anyone else in this great nation, to express his opinion on issues he believes are relevant to him. Sorry that you don't like it....you don't have to...but, "shut up and play football" is just not the reality. And to say no one is interested in what you think, is factually inaccurate. Such is why athletes have extremely high numbers of follower on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. because people ARE interested in their lives, which includes their thoughts and opinions. You may not be, but you do not speak for the majority or minority or any section of people, you speak for yourself. Which is cool, but athletes and others who are thought to be "famous" have much to say and always have....it's the way of the world and this great country we live in....so suck it up buttercup, and mute the t.v., turn off FB or Twitter, and turn down the volume when the game is on, otherwise you might have to listen to commentary about politics, social issues, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

BigBuff423counterpoint.

NFL Scout and Executive on Josh Rosen: "Tons of Issues" and "a Mess Off the Field"

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/04/nfl-scout-and-executive-on-josh-rosen-tons-of-issues-and-a-mess-off-the-field/

He should play football and save his social justice warrior activities until he graduates. How well do you think his teammates will take to him trashing their alma maters? He targeted Alabama and Clemson in his ignorant comments, but it could have been any school that he perceives isn't the equal of UCLA.

UCLA QB Rosen’s demeanor reportedly cost him offer from Stanford

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ucla-bruins-stanford-cardinal-josh-rosen-dream-school-101515

And yet, the article also addressed the Stanford issue where Josh admitted he wanted playing time and David Shaw said, we don't have room for you and Josh admitted it would NOT have been a good fit for him and it "killed my ego a little bit"....also, that he took his time to go to UCLA as a positive from what was perceived to be a negative. 

And it's not a "counterpoint" because these statements refer to the SAME FRICKEN ISSUES that are taken head-on in the first two articles from SI that started this thread....what is it you don't get? No one is arguing he doesn't need to mature, we've all conceded that point since it wasn't a hard one to make and I don't know anyone who is arguing he doesn't need to show maturation...the ISSUE you don't seem to grasp, is you continue to use the word "elitist" and that he has a bad attitude or shouldn't be able to make political or social statements simply because his beliefs contradict yours....the ISSUE is that he needs to learn how to vocalize and cope with them in a better, more mature way instead of the frat-boy antics he pulled while at UCLA but the fundamental ISSUE with being permitted to express those beliefs, no matter how opposed they are to your own, are still valid and will remain so no matter how much ranting and raving you do and telling those darn kids to get off your lawn....

Edited by BigBuff423

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I had Dareus pegged his first year and took a lot of heat for it. I am pretty confident I'm right on Rosen too, but we'll see. i think that he will be a major headache and a distraction and besides that. his durability is a huge question mark.

Not to derail this thread, but since you are a Bama fan, what would you think about bringing in McCarron (as a starter)?

I like McCarron. He was a solid performer at UA and he's played well in his limited opportunities in the NFL. He's a good guy and I think he would be a cultural fit for the team. He would be an upgrade over Taylor, in my opinion. He has good, but not spectacular arm strength, and he's reasonably mobile, but certainly not a scrambler.

My son is actually a UA grad. I recall at orientation we sat near McCarron in the cafeteria. While he was eating lunch, a parade of co-eds interrupted him to get a picture. He was very accommodating.:) 

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I like McCarron. He was a solid performer at UA and he's played well in his limited opportunities in the NFL. He's a good guy and I think he would be a cultural fit for the team. He would be an upgrade over Taylor, in my opinion. He has good, but not spectacular arm strength, and he's reasonably mobile, but certainly not a scrambler.

My son is actually a UA grad. I recall at orientation we sat near McCarron in the cafeteria. While he was eating lunch, a parade of co-eds interrupted him to get a picture. He was very accommodating.:) 

Thinking about what we know of Daboll and the offensive concepts he may bring from NE,    I feel like he could be a nice fit. 

I think Rosen's personality/character is a bit of an enigma. My initial opinion on him was that he had entitlement issues and may have been soft. Reading articles like this and some other interviews that I have seen, also show a kid who is very driven and seems passionate about winning. From the outside, Rosen may be one of those characters that likes to zig when everyone else is counting on him to zag.  The Bills will have a serious background file on Rosen as well putting him thru exhaustive interviews. Beane and McDermott will have a much more solid opinion of Rosen's character than anyone on the outside. His talent is undeniable, so if they feel comfortable with the person they will likely move up to get him if he slips outside of the top 2. I'll trust Beane and McDermott to get this right and if Rosen passes the character test for them then that will be good enough for me.