2016 Sports Illustrated article on Josh Rosen

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, zonabb said:

Talent wise, this kid is great. But he's a risky pick. The superiority complex? What's he done to have it? Did he even win a PAC-12, weak conference, title? When he hasn't gotten what he wants or feels entitled to, like getting into Stanford, he dismisses and deflects that failure away from him.

He acts like a Jersey Shore cast member, which is not unexpected from a college kid I guess, but there are some serious character/psychological questions here. Here's what was telling to me, which drove home my concern, he seems to have goals and want to aim high, like the fact he found research that finds that high IQs are gained with more reading yet that he hates reading and is "trying" to read more. Not "I have read hundreds of books" but I am "trying." What's the matter snowflake, Unbroken was too tough of a read to finish it? People like this, who seem well versed in the art of talk and self-promotion aim to build themselves up to what they want to be seen as without having to actually achieve it. It's like a friend's wife who said "I'd like to get a PhD but I don't have the time." That statement is intentionally designed to imply capability while placing an insurmountable obstacle in the way to avoid actually proving it! I want a PhD therefore I am a PhD. 

He's going to turn off teams, no doubt. Guess we'll see how FA shakes out and who the QB needy teams are thereafter and there might be a clearer picture. 

Funny though, I'd take him over Allen, who might go before him as teams fall in love with stupid athleticism. If Rosen is just immature and not truly, clinically a narcissist or worse, he can presumably grow up. Fixing the decision-making flaws in Allen are harder to do (see: Taylor, Tyrod), as are his accuracy issues, which of the two can be improved. Can't make a guy football smart. But man do football people love physical freaks.

RE: the bold statement above, I assume you read the article? I assume you read where he spoke to the coach about the depth chart and the coach essentially said there's no room here for you? He didn't apply to Stanford, he was told straightforward, there's no spot for you - which is different than applying and having your hopes set high only to realize you're not good enough after a formal process. This was essentially about playing opportunity. Rosen then goes on to say he legit took into consideration his chance to play early as part of the decision making process, again that kind of transparency is laudable in my mind. As for deflecting failure, he said that such a recognition that Stanford wasn't going to *make* room for him and therefore he should keep looking, was humbling and that it was good for him....his words. Is it placating the journalist and therefore pandering to all the readers? Maybe..? But, given his other statements and how he's gone about handling his opinion on other matters, that would appear to be contrary to character for him. In fact, what seems to get him into some sticky areas is when he discusses his opinions without careful consideration, in other words little filter to the mouth. 

As for trying to improve his IQ by reading....again, he stated he admired Andrew Luck for having the raw IQ, but wanted to work to improve his own intellectual capability....I'd say that's a positive, instead of a QB standing by their 3.7 in Slavic Basket Weaving...? 

I don't know how he will pan out and I have no idea, since I won't be the one interviewing him, if he has the mental fortitude to be an NFL QB, but since you use the term "snowflake" and the story mentions his "F Trump" moniker while playing golf, maybe your issue with him is his politics? I don't know....but seems odd that you would use such a term to someone trying to improve their mental acumen. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I hope the Bills stay put at 21 and trade back from 22 if possible, because to me, I'd rather use all this Draft capital for building the team with great young players. If Rudolph is there at 21 I would Draft him, if not, then I'd take a guy like Mike White in the 2nd....but, if Bills believe so much in Rosen they are able to go get him, then once he puts on that red, white, and blue uniform, I'm all in....

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Two AFC “executives”:

Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

“The kid from USC has a chance; Rosen has a ton of ability but tons of issues, like dedication to work...”

who knows, but where there is smoke..

Unnammed execs putting pooo pooo put there so Kid drops to where they are picking.

4 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

At this point, more than ANYTHING else, it's the medicals that worry me about Rosen. I found the articles to be enlightening about his character and I'm not even remotely concerned about his ability to transition to the NFL in terms of maturity, because his "issues" have all been age appropriate, meaning he can mature beyond the point where a fart noise in church is funny (which these kinds of things are akin to). If the Bills are truly gauging the landscape to trade up, he should be in for a Pre Draft visit with a 9-hour medical review to ensure everything is what it needs to be and NOT have any unforeseen medical setbacks (i.e. Shaq Lawson). 

Rosen: It does sound like he has a burning desire to win and yet (UCLA 8-5 in 2015), (Rosen only played in 6 games in 2016), UCLA went 4-8, (2017 UCLA went 6-7).

Rosen has publicly stated he would prefer to play for the NY Giants and not play for the Browns. Durability is a concern with two recent concussions and shoulder, hand injuries. He also has a reputation for being difficult to coach. Sounds like his classmates don't like him much either. Too many red flags for me at this point. The Combine and pro days may change this though.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-2018-nfl-draft-doesnt-want-to-play-for-browns-prefers-giants/10evc0o70y39g1qbnprje4myd8

No question the kid can spin a football. 

How so? How well did engaging in politics work out for Colin? What was the point of mentioning Alabama and how was it relevant to balancing academics and football? He's an immature dumb ass. Maybe too much soaking in the hot tub in his dorm room?

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I can understand why it may be unwise in the first link, but he is spot in the second link. Education and football schedules don’t mix well in the college setting and it takes a fully committed student to achieve excellence in both at a high level at major universities. Especially when, as he says, college is the ONLY legit avenue to the pros for those players who aspire to the next level. 

20 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Rosen: It does sound like he has a burning desire to win and yet (UCLA 8-5 in 2015), (Rosen only played in 6 games in 2016), UCLA went 4-8, (2017 UCLA went 6-7).

Rosen has publicly stated he would prefer to play for the NY Giants and not play for the Browns. Durability is a concern with two recent concussions and shoulder, hand injuries. He also has a reputation for being difficult to coach. Sounds like his classmates don't like him much either. Too many red flags for me at this point. The Combine and pro days may change this though.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-2018-nfl-draft-doesnt-want-to-play-for-browns-prefers-giants/10evc0o70y39g1qbnprje4myd8

No question the kid can spin a football. 

So once again I ask, did you read the article? If you did you'd see screenshots of Twitter where multiple teammates came to his Defense when the story came "out" about how his team didn't like him....Mora talked about how much he liked coaching him, but said it was a challenge. But, the best in any industry, i.e. Steve Jobs, typically come with these types of challenges. And please link the article where he said he didn't want to play for Browns and wanted to play for NYG. Maybe he did, but what is often referenced is out of context when he said, I'd rather be Drafted lower and go to the right team, than Drafted higher and go to the wrong one. That one line was a part of a much longer answer and explanation and in context, I'd say I have to agree with him. I tend to be a bit old-fashioned when it comes to these things, ex. be grateful you get play this sport for a ton of money, be glad it bought you a free college education, be a good role model, etc. But, in the context of his answer, I understand it and probably agree with him if I were in his shoes. 

We can't tar and feather an athlete for authenticity and then rip them for giving cliched answers or platitudes when talking about their team. If we're asking them to be genuine, then we must do the same and accept their humanity as much as their statutory place in the sports industry. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How so? How well did engaging in politics work out for Colin? What was the point of mentioning Alabama and how was it relevant to balancing academics and football? He's an immature dumb ass. Maybe too much soaking in the hot tub in his dorm room?

Bruh, let's be honest and let's be real....Alabama's intellectual landscape is quite different than that of Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, etc....there's NOTHING wrong with it, and there are certainly intelligent and capable folks that graduate from Alabama. BUT, if you're going to Alabama on a football scholarship, is there ANY doubt about where the emphasis lies during your time at that college? Really? You want to debate the fact that Alabama's acceptance policy isn't centered around having athletic talent first, and academics a distant second?? It's not lumping everyone together, but when you talk about standardized test scores, and Alabama SATs, the minimum score threshold is quite different. Let's put it this way: currently, the 25th percentile score at UCLA puts you in the 75th percentile at Alabama. Basically if you're below average at UCLA, you're above average at Alabama....nothing wrong with that, as it's the world we live in, but let's not fool one another either. He made a statement that virtually everyone, even Alabama alum, acknowledge, they just don't like it when another prominent athlete from a different school speaks the truth. 

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can understand why it may be unwise in the first link, but he is spot in the second link. Education and football schedules don’t mix well in the college setting and it takes a fully committed student to achieve excellence in both at a high level at major universities. Especially when, as he says, college is the ONLY legit avenue to the pros for those players who aspire to the next level. 

Interesting topic, but how could Rosen think that bringing The University of Alabama into the discussion could lead to anything good?

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Interesting topic, but how could Rosen think that bringing The University of Alabama into the discussion lead to anything good?

Because they've won MULTIPLE titles under Saban and are the gold standard of college football supremacy. So, he essentially says, "To be the best in football, you have to be willing to be less than stellar in academics"....you don't get both or rarely ever do.

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Bruh, let's be honest and let's be real....Alabama's intellectual landscape is quite different than that of Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, etc....there's NOTHING wrong with it, and there are certainly intelligent and capable folks that graduate from Alabama. BUT, if you're going to Alabama on a football scholarship, is there ANY doubt about where the emphasis lies during your time at that college? Really? You want to debate the fact that Alabama's acceptance policy isn't centered around having athletic talent first, and academics a distant second?? It's not lumping everyone together, but when you talk about standardized test scores, and Alabama SATs, the minimum score threshold is quite different. Let's put it this way: currently, the 25th percentile score at UCLA puts you in the 75th percentile at Alabama. Basically if you're below average at UCLA, you're above average at Alabama....nothing wrong with that, as it's the world we live in, but let's not fool one another either. He made a statement that virtually everyone, even Alabama alum, acknowledge, they just don't like it when another prominent athlete from a different school speaks the truth. 

40% of the students at UA have an ACT score of 30 or greater and 25% have an ACT score of 32 or greater. UA's 75th percentile ACT score puts it in the range of elite public schools.

The majoring of student at UA are from out of state.

You need to do your homework.

Edited by Sky Diver

26 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

And please link the article where he said he didn't want to play for Browns and wanted to play for NYG.. 

I did link the article.  But if one isn't enough then here is another from ESPN. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21863509/josh-rosen-prefers-new-york-giants-cleveland-browns-hesitate-enter-draft-cleveland-commits-him

The kid has warts, whats new. At this point, I'd prefer Mayfield, Allen, or Darnold. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Because they've won MULTIPLE titles under Saban and are the gold standard of college football supremacy. So, he essentially says, "To be the best in football, you have to be willing to be less than stellar in academics"....you don't get both or rarely ever do.

Yes.  In addition, the neglected part of his point is that big football programs allege they are giving kids a chance at a free education.  But their education is subordinated to football in every way. 

If a kid struggles with classes, the question isn't "how can we ID and backfill the gaps in his educational skills so he can actually take advantage of his chance to go to college," it's "how can we keep him eligible?"

This is neither unique to big football programs, or to football as a college sport.  I know people who were pressured to abandon the education they signed up for in favor of extra team weight lifting sessions, let alone eligibility, in non-revenue DI sports.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Sounds like whining to me. Alabama has fine academics.

He should look at his own school before he open his yap.

http://dailybruin.com/2009/01/06/emucla-should-not-lower-admission-standards-athlet/

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I did link the article.  But if one isn't enough then here is another from ESPN. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21863509/josh-rosen-prefers-new-york-giants-cleveland-browns-hesitate-enter-draft-cleveland-commits-him

The kid has warts, whats new. At this point, I'd prefer Mayfield, Allen, or Darnold. JMO

yes, a second link please as this one does not cite Rosen directly, only that he has said "privately", then how did they get that information? And are WE ALL going to be held for what we say in private? Because that's the standard....you can't knock a guy for his thoughts or private statements. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  In addition, the neglected part of his point is that big football programs allege they are giving kids a chance at a free education.  But their education is subordinated to football in every way. 

If a kid struggles with classes, the question isn't "how can we ID and backfill the gaps in his educational skills so he can actually take advantage of his chance to go to college," it's "how can we keep him eligible?"

This is neither unique to big football programs, or to football as a college sport.  I know people who were pressured to abandon the education they signed up for in favor of extra team weight lifting sessions, let alone eligibility, in non-revenue DI sports.

The biggest lie in recruiting is when the coaches tell the parents that they will 100% support their efforts to study a certain field or pursue a certain major that they are interested in and how excited they are about their education.  The coaches don’t care. They just want them in class and eligible, and the classes can’t intrefere with practice, lifting or meetings. Or the major will not work out. It takes a backseat no doubt. There is one school - can’t remember which one - that tells the football players they can choose among a select group of majors or can’t play there. These majors are set up to accommodate the football schedule. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1