2016 Sports Illustrated article on Josh Rosen

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My advice to him is don't.  I want my Quarterback to have that.  I want when I am down by 5 with 1:30 left on the clock and no time outs a guy who walks on the field thinking "of course I am going to lead us down to score.  I am the most talented player on this field."  

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and told Robert Kraft in is first rookie camp that he was the best pick the Patriots organisation had ever made.  

I think you and Rosen (in that context) may attach different meanings to the term "superiority complex"

You want your QB to have great confidence, including confidence in himself and his football skills and ability to excel.

You don't want him to have a "superiority complex", which in the context of "sorority scene" means "inability to relate to people".  He's got to be able to relate to people and inspire them, including the people who have to run down the field and catch the ball while being sandwiched by fast-moving missiles masquerading as members of the opposing team

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you and Rosen (in that context) may attach different meanings to the term "superiority complex"

You want your QB to have great confidence, including confidence in himself and his football skills and ability to excel.

You don't want him to have a "superiority complex", which in the context of "sorority scene" means "inability to relate to people".  He's got to be able to relate to people and inspire them, including the people who have to run down the field and catch the ball while being sandwiched by fast-moving missiles masquerading as members of the opposing team

I'm not so sure.  But then I am told I have an air of superiority about me as well quite often.  I make no bones about being an arrogant pain in the neck at times.  So I really don't see that personality trait as being so damning.  As long as you still buy into the process, and from my experience the two are not mutually exclusive. You can be arrogant and still enjoy the process.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'm not so sure.  But then I am told I have an air of superiority about me as well quite often.  I make no bones about being an arrogant pain in the neck at times.  So I really don't see that personality trait as being so damning.  As long as you still buy into the process, and from my experience the two are not mutually exclusive. You can be arrogant and still enjoy the process.  

I understand.  But if you're in a position where you need to attract people to follow you, and work hard for you, that's hard to do if you strike people as arrogant and detached vs. engaging and concerned about them.  Rosen would be far from the only QB who started out with that issue, and learned.

One thing that stuck out to me about Rosen.  That Texas A&M game Labor day weekend.  Great comeback by UCLA.  When the Bruins were coming back & finally went ahead, Rosen was excited but kind of looked like he was celebrating by himself.  No teammates really came up to hug him & such.  They were celebrating with each other but really not with Rosen.  They showed a sideline view of him after the go ahead TD & He was kidn fo sitting by himself pondering his thoughts.  You think his teammates would be mobbing him at that point.  Actions speak louder than words & no matter what is stated publicly I don't think he is a very like individual.  Not a deal breaker in my book, but coupled that with his injury history & it is a tough call to trade the farm to move up in a position to be able to draft him.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I find this quote interesting as well:

"I'm not a fan of, like, powerhouses," he says. "I like messing up the system. I'm all about equality and kind of bringing some phoenixes from the fire."

With that information in mind, Buffalo is the *perfect* spot for you....if it happens, you'll be dragging this franchise and its fans everywhere out of the fired ruins of despair.

This is the exact quote that fired me up yesterday when I read it. I don't think he's going to be throwing a hissy fit if we move up to #2 and take him. I wish we were a fly in the room the first time he meets Beane and McDermott at the Combine.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He's a smart kid.  I absolutely do not buy in to the narrative that smart kids should shut their mouths just in case they say something controversial.  The world has enough dumb people.  

It scares NFL teams because they want someone that they can control. Mindless zombies in unison where no one person is above the team. Don't ask questions just do what we say.

This is my favorite article on Rosen and it will tell you everything you need to know about the young man . I posted a thread about it last year in case anyone missed it:  http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/a-beautiful-brash-mind/

He's the best QB in a very long time and the only reason he is not #1 is because he has a mind of his own and he intends to use it. He's using football which isn't any different from how football uses and discards players every day. He just understands that and is using it to his advantage.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It scares NFL teams because they want someone that they can control. Mindless zombies in unison where no one person is above the team. Don't ask questions just do what we say.

This is my favorite article on Rosen and it will tell you everything you need to know about the young man . I posted a thread about it last year in case anyone missed it:  http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/a-beautiful-brash-mind/

He's the best QB in a very long time and the only reason he is not #1 is because he has a mind of his own and he intends to use it. He's using football which isn't any different from how football uses and discards players every day. He just understands that and is using it to his advantage.

You hit it right on the nose. NFL guys love zombies. Especially at QB. Maybe they eventually get to him but I'm not passing on him because he might have an opinion on Trump that mirrors the majority of this country.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My advice to him is don't.  I want my Quarterback to have that.  I want when I am down by 5 with 1:30 left on the clock and no time outs a guy who walks on the field thinking "of course I am going to lead us down to score.  I am the most talented player on this field."  

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and told Robert Kraft in is first rookie camp that he was the best pick the Patriots organisation had ever made.  

And I believe he bought a house in Boston as a 6th round rookie. Apparently that confident he would be there awhile. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Talent wise, this kid is great. But he's a risky pick. The superiority complex? What's he done to have it? Did he even win a PAC-12, weak conference, title? When he hasn't gotten what he wants or feels entitled to, like getting into Stanford, he dismisses and deflects that failure away from him.

He acts like a Jersey Shore cast member, which is not unexpected from a college kid I guess, but there are some serious character/psychological questions here. Here's what was telling to me, which drove home my concern, he seems to have goals and want to aim high, like the fact he found research that finds that high IQs are gained with more reading yet that he hates reading and is "trying" to read more. Not "I have read hundreds of books" but I am "trying." What's the matter snowflake, Unbroken was too tough of a read to finish it? People like this, who seem well versed in the art of talk and self-promotion aim to build themselves up to what they want to be seen as without having to actually achieve it. It's like a friend's wife who said "I'd like to get a PhD but I don't have the time." That statement is intentionally designed to imply capability while placing an insurmountable obstacle in the way to avoid actually proving it! I want a PhD therefore I am a PhD. 

He's going to turn off teams, no doubt. Guess we'll see how FA shakes out and who the QB needy teams are thereafter and there might be a clearer picture. 

Funny though, I'd take him over Allen, who might go before him as teams fall in love with stupid athleticism. If Rosen is just immature and not truly, clinically a narcissist or worse, he can presumably grow up. Fixing the decision-making flaws in Allen are harder to do (see: Taylor, Tyrod), as are his accuracy issues, which of the two can be improved. Can't make a guy football smart. But man do football people love physical freaks.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

My only 'real concern' with Rosen is the concussions. He's had two that we know of. He comes from an affluent family. His dad was on the shortlist to be Obama's surgeon general. Maybe a few more forces him to walk away. I don't know but I'm willing to take the chance. The kid has it all.

I don't know, he is the most pro QB ready & pure passer in this draft, but don't confuse him with guys like Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, John Elway.  This guy is far from a sure thing like those prospects were viewed. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

We need to draft him just for the press conferences with the Buffalo media. Priorities.

giphy.gif

Honestly he's going to garner so much attention with the National media with his takes

58 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I don't know, he is the most pro QB ready & pure passer in this draft, but don't confuse him with guys like Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, John Elway.  This guy is far from a sure thing like those prospects were viewed. 

His only real knock is durability. That's it. He can do anything he wants on the field.

Something about this kid just rubs me the wrong way. I fully admit that that could just be effective rumor-mongering by opposing agents. I don't know for sure, I'm not a scout. But I read his interviews and observe his demeanor, and something about it just doesn't scream "leader of men" to me. 

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Honestly he's going to garner so much attention with the National media with his takes

His only real knock is durability. That's it. He can do anything he wants on the field.

That is a bit of an overstatement.