2016 Sports Illustrated article on Josh Rosen

YoloinOhio

This is a really interesting and insightful piece on Rosen from before his sophomore year at UCLA...

Look Who's Talking: Shielded from media in 2015, UCLA QB Josh Rosen made waves on social media and is ready for close-up

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/08/08/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-bonafide-star-how-will-he-handle-fame

Rosen's own set of challenges? He wants to lead UCLA to a conference title and eventually become a Super Bowl–winning, All-Pro quarterback who can make enough money off the field to play for the league minimum so his team can spend its salary cap space on his teammates. After football, he wants to work in venture capital and model his post-football life after the business success of former Bruins quarterback Troy Aikman, who has owned multiple businesses and dabbles in real estate.

He seems keenly self-aware....and genuine 

There is another good one is from earlier this year... 

Josh Rosen's No. 1 priority is battling narratives, and so far he's losing

Josh Rosen has the tall task of changing opinions and battling the narrative that he’s selfish and entitled.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/4/16826100/2018-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-browns-giants-ucla-bruins

He doesn’t speak in tired sports clichés like most NFL quarterbacks, but it’s hard to imagine 32 teams finding him toxic. Even after listening to him talk for more than a minute, it’s difficult to see how even one team could think so.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a really interesting and insightful piece on Rosen from before his sophomore year at UCLA 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/08/08/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-bonafide-star-how-will-he-handle-fame

he seems keenly self-aware....and genuine 

He would do better to emulate the business success of a different former Dallas QB.  Staubach is an actual business mogul.

I find this quote interesting as well:

"I'm not a fan of, like, powerhouses," he says. "I like messing up the system. I'm all about equality and kind of bringing some phoenixes from the fire."

With that information in mind, Buffalo is the *perfect* spot for you....if it happens, you'll be dragging this franchise and its fans everywhere out of the fired ruins of despair.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

"I'm not a fan of, like, powerhouses," he says. "I like messing up the system. I'm all about equality and kind of bringing some phoenixes from the fire."

With that information in mind, Buffalo is the *perfect* spot for you....if it happens, you'll be dragging this franchise and its fans everywhere out of the fired ruins of despair.

Was about to post the same quote. 

If you want to 'mess' with the NFL traditionalism - where Buffalo is a afterthought, despite its passionate fan base, then come on in. Our passion is so hot we light fires to tables and then put the fire out with our bodies -- phoenix like!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

And you're in a division with THE powerhouse, so you get the most opportunity to tear them down.

• Like (+1) 3

Two AFC “executives”:

Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

“The kid from USC has a chance; Rosen has a ton of ability but tons of issues, like dedication to work...”

who knows, but where there is smoke..

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Two AFC “executives”:

Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

“The kid from USC has a chance; Rosen has a ton of ability but tons of issues, like dedication to work...”

who knows, but where there is smoke..

There's smokescreens?

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good finds, YOLO. 

Part of this stuff just makes me laugh.  Rearranging lawn ornaments in sexually suggestive positions?  Buying an inflatable hot-tub online and filling it with a beer hose?  He's just a college kid.  He's just a pranking college kid, doing non-destructive things in a way he thinks is funny.

I think it's to his credit that he hasn't submitted himself to being "polished and packaged" with someone following him around vetting everything he does and keeping a squeaky clean image for him on social media as so many QB from well-to-do families have done (*cough* Gabbert).  Behind the scenes, I think Peyton Manning likely did stuff that was much nastier, and got away with it, in the days before social media.

Most positive (to me) quote from the SI article: " Rosen's tennis career did have an enduring impact. The 3.5 seconds a quarterback typically gets to throw feels like an eternity compared to reaction times in tennis. On the court he learned to trust his eyes and not overthink things. In football he exhibits a nonchalance after interceptions or negative plays—which has drawn criticism because some have taken it for indifference—but in tennis he knew he could lose dozens of points yet still win the match. Mistakes are part of the game. "  Sounds like he could have a very mature attitude about shaking off a mistake and moving on, not getting too down

Most worrisome quote from the SI article: "He also admits he's not the most beloved guy on the UCLA sorority scene. "I have a superiority complex I need to get rid of," he says. "Girls that I am really good homies with tell me about how often they have to defend my image to girls that don't know me."  Fundamentally, if a young guy can't present himself in a charismatic/appealing way when nookie is on the line, how is he gonna handle himself when he has to get grown men from all different backgrounds to buy in and follow him?  He's got an obvious learning curve ahead of him there.  He wouldn't be the first talented NFL QB who needed to overcome that - reportedly young Roethlisberger was an ass, and had to learn people skills.  It's a positive that he identifies some girls as "really good homies" who (by inference) tell him to "f*ck off" from time to time.  He's not beyond hope.  It's a background he has to overcome - color me surprised that the child of a prominent orthopedic surgeon might have picked up an egocentric manner of dealing with others (remember the joke about how surgeons change lightbulbs?)

Most worrisome physical aspect: that he left tennis after a right shoulder injury at age 12.  So evidently his shoulder has been a recurring problem and will need careful management. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"I have a superiority complex I need to get rid of," he says.

My advice to him is don't.  I want my Quarterback to have that.  I want when I am down by 5 with 1:30 left on the clock and no time outs a guy who walks on the field thinking "of course I am going to lead us down to score.  I am the most talented player on this field."  

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and told Robert Kraft in is first rookie camp that he was the best pick the Patriots organisation had ever made.  

• Like (+1) 4

At this point, more than ANYTHING else, it's the medicals that worry me about Rosen. I found the articles to be enlightening about his character and I'm not even remotely concerned about his ability to transition to the NFL in terms of maturity, because his "issues" have all been age appropriate, meaning he can mature beyond the point where a fart noise in church is funny (which these kinds of things are akin to). IF the Bills are truly gauging the landscape to trade up, he should be in for a Pre Draft visit with a 9 hour medical review to insure everything is what it needs to be and NOT have any unforeseen medical set backs (i.e. Shaq Lawson). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just my take, but as we all have read, Josh is part of a wealthy family.  Both parents accomplished ice dancers.  Mom was captain of the lacrosse team at Princeton.  Dad a spine surgeon, mom a former magazine editor.  Living in Southern California.  Mom and dad divorced when he was 15.  When he was 10 he was the top-ranked tennis player in his age bracket in Southern CA.

I think it's been instilled in him to speak his mind and like most 21 year-olds, sometimes he speaks it as if the world's sum total of all knowledge has somehow entered his cranium.  Some may say this is a sign of entitlement and likely some of that seems very true. 

I also see a little more with this young man.  I see a fire to play football and to disrupt.  He could have gone to a more decorated college football program (Followed his Bosco Prep alums- Palmer, Sanchez, and Leinhart to USC), but he chose UCLA.  He seems to be the kid that will protect his teammates and take on any heat that is coming from the media and others toward his team.  Kids born of privilege don't necessarily make bad NFL QBs (Mannings, Palmer, several others), it's the intellect and competitive fire that makes the difference and I see more Manning in this kid than Rob Johnson. 

Just my take. 

BTW--I met, and have gotten to know well,  a person who knows the Darnold's pretty well.  I have a very high opinion of Sam just from what I have learned about him.  More upper-middle-class family, very grounded, hard worker, very smart.    From a personality and leadership perspective, I think either one of these young men are good ones to build a football team around.  There may be some early pain with both, but I think these are both gems.   I think they both fit the McBeane model.

• Like (+1) 1