Bears Decline Option on Guard Josh Sitton

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't see any reason for him to refuse to be honest.  He's the 5th highest-paid OT in the NFL, and if he agrees to make the swtich, he's unlikely to be going anywhere for at least another 2 years.  In those 2 years, he'll pocket $20.5M in cash

If the team decides to move on from him at that point and sign Dawkins to a LT deal, he'll be hitting the open market at 30 years old and have 6 years of LT play to his credit.

I mean, I suppose he could argue that shifting to RT diminishes his value, but the reality of the situation is that (a) he's being paid as a LT, and (b) he'd be doing the team a solid by moving.

That is my concern. I agree with you that the Bills would make out good in this scenario. Glenn would be getting paid now like a LT. I am sure his agent would worry that teams will try to use his lack of recent LT playing time in negotiations. 

From reading posts you are one of the guys i trust when it comes to numbers. Is there a place to tell what is the average RT vs average LT? Highest paid RT? 

27 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That is my concern. I agree with you that the Bills would make out good in this scenario. Glenn would be getting paid now like a LT. I am sure his agent would worry that teams will try to use his lack of recent LT playing time in negotiations. 

From reading posts you are one of the guys i trust when it comes to numbers. Is there a place to tell what is the average RT vs average LT? Highest paid RT? 

According to Spotrac, if you look at average annual value (AAV), the top 5 RTs average out to $8.65M AAV, while the top 5 LTs average out to $12.8M AAV.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/right-tackle/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/left-tackle/

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I disagree with this.  It would be a mistake to not address the offensive line better than that this offseason.  Miller has big question marks and Groy does too.  Just because he started a few years ago in a handful of games doesn't mean much when there is a new scheme and new coaches.  The interior of the offensive line should be addressed and Cordy needs to be healthy.  He hasn't been so who do you have behind Cordy?  That needs to be addressed as well.  Don't overlook the needs of an offensive line on a team that likes to run the ball and will likely have a rookie QB next year.  

If Cordy is healthy he's a great fit at RT and from what the reports that we heard from McBeane at the end of season presser Cordy should be 100% at OTAs. 

Groy filled in admirably at C in 2016.  I believe he played 7gms nearly half the yr and our ypc was better then when Wood played  plus he wasn't bad in pass pro either other then the Seahawks gm. Groy has earned this opportunity and i believe he will surprise people come September. 

Miller was one of the highest rated Guards in the NFL in 2016 now that we are back in a power scheme he's a natural fit at RG . 

If these 5 start the season i believe they can be a strength of this team.  Btw we got way to many holes to fill at other spots.  We can't fill them all this offseason. 

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

If Cordy is healthy he's a great fit at RT and from what the reports that we heard from McBeane at the end of season presser Cordy should be 100% at OTAs. 

Groy filled in admirably at C in 2016.  I believe he played 7gms nearly half the yr and our ypc was better then when Wood played  plus he wasn't bad in pass pro either other then the Seahawks gm. Groy has earned this opportunity and i believe he will surprise people come September. 

Miller was one of the highest rated Guards in the NFL in 2016 now that we are back in a power scheme he's a natural fit at RG . 

If these 5 start the season i believe they can be a strength of this team.  Btw we got way to many holes to fill at other spots.  We can't fill them all this offseason. 

That's the A plan. But that's a perfect world and that doesn't happen in Buffalo.  Cordy isn't a sure-thing for being healthy in the slightest and Miller is a big ?  That's a lot to hope comes together and works just nicely.  I'd say they definitely need one or two guys to at least battle for a starting job against these guys.  

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I like to stay positive.
but we do not know this .

I do like Miller quite a bit and very disappointed Ducasse got the call to start the season last year.
Room for improvement in the blocking schemes Dennison called up for sure. Who fits the new system? anyone's guess at this point as they have kept Castillo. I might suppose

we need a sincere effort at depth regardless

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

That's the A plan. But that's a perfect world and that doesn't happen in Buffalo.  Cordy isn't a sure-thing for being healthy in the slightest and Miller is a big ?  That's a lot to hope comes together and works just nicely.  I'd say they definitely need one or two guys to at least battle for a starting job against these guys.  

So with holes at QB, RB, Wr, DLINE,  LBs, and Corner u want to throw multiple assets at the oline?  Btw Cordy will be healthy 100% ready for ota . Players come bk from injury all the time its not a miracle we are looking for here. 

Do u realize we have 1 corner on our roster as of right now with NFL experience? We have 2 in total Tre and Breon Borders.  We got major holes i think it would be in the Bills best interest to help the oline starting in 2019. We have to see what we have in Miller he's still young and played well as a rookie in 2015 and even better in 2016 . Let the kid develop properly . Groy the same with him. If anything they can find a guard after june 1st cuts for cheap to throw in the rotation.

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

So with holes at QB, RB, Wr, DLINE,  LBs, and Corner u want to throw multiple assets at the oline?  Btw Cordy will be healthy 100% ready for ota . Players come bk from injury all the time its not a miracle we are looking for here. 

Do u realize we have 1 corner on our roster as of right now with NFL experience? We have 2 in total Tre and Breon Borders.  We got major holes i think it would be in the Bills best interest to help the oline starting in 2019. We have to see what we have in Miller he's still young and played well as a rookie in 2015 and even better in 2016 . Let the kid develop properly . Groy the same with him. If anything they can find a guard after june 1st cuts for cheap to throw in the rotation.

Did I say we should use two first round draft picks on the offensive line?  No, but a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick like Dawkins last year and a free agent pick up would be ideal.  Yes we have other holes but on a team that runs the ball a lot and a team that will likely have a new QB next year (potentially a rookie), I think it'd be wise to solidify the offensive line and the depth of the offensive line.  Give the QB the best protection you can.  It depends on what other assets we have after we get a QB but we could make a dent in the other needs as well.  I just believe people are brushing by the oline when there is a lot of uncertainty there.  If those guys that you are relying on fail, that rookie QB or whoever it is won't be having a great time either.  

Edited by Buffalo30

On 2/21/2018 at 6:17 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Why do you think Miller will start this year?

Why do you think Cordy will play RT?

While I don't think Miller will start I could definitely see it if we don't make any changes. Miller was good in Roman's power blocking scheme... But he struggled mightly with Dennison's zone blocking scheme... Having Daboll coming in and bring back that power blocking scheme could potentially save Johns career.

I personally think we are gonna make a run at Norwell... But Sitting could be a cheaper option.

Edited by Kmart128

22 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Somebody wake Marv, Russ, Buddy, I mean Doug, McD, McB - whoever; the hell up 

Even though the Bears are declining to pick up the option on Sitton, I believe he is affected by the rule that forbids tampering until the official start of free agency.   Only street free agents and players actually cut by their former teams are eligible to sign right now.

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

While I don't think Miller will start I could definitely see it if we don't make any changes. Miller was good in Roman's power blocking scheme... But he struggled mightly with Dennison's zone blocking scheme... Having Daboll coming in and bring back that power blocking scheme could potentially save Johns career.

I personally think we are gonna make a run at Norwell... But Sitting could be a cheaper option.

I thought Miller played pretty darn good for a rookie. He seems to fit a power run game as you stated. I'd hate to see the Bills give up on a guy who showed such potential. 

I prefer Sitton over Star.  Draft Billy Price.  Move Cordy to RT.  Dawkins-Richie-Price-Sitton-Cordy is a great line and fairly young.  Price would be flanked by two veterans.  There is depth with Miller, Groy, Vlad, Mills, McDermott