Bengals Hire Alex Van Pelt as QB Coach

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Pill is his nickname all the way back to his Bills' playing days.  I believe it's short for the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Because he is chubby like the Doughboy...

I have heard good and bad things about VanPelt.  On one hand - it has been said that he has a great mind for offense and could be an OC but I’ve also heard that he didn’t really do have to do anything in GB with Aaron Rogers as the starter.   His name has been mentioned when the Bills have had openings before.  

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Because he is chubby like the Doughboy...

I have heard good and bad things about VanPelt.  On one hand - it has been said that he has a great mind for offense and could be an OC but I’ve also heard that he didn’t really do have to do anything in GB with Aaron Rogers as the starter.   His name has been mentioned when the Bills have had openings before.  

So he's been in Green Bay since 2014 and is responsible for developing Brett Hundley, who was not exactly the Cinderella Story of the NFL backup game or a ringing endorsement for Van Pelt's abilities as a QB mentor.  On the other hand, as a 5th round draftee from whom not much is expected, he did display moderate QB competence.  Most of his picks were thrown against some really really good defenses (New Orleans, Baltimore and Minnx2). 

And Green Bay's offense is very much built around Aaron Rodgers - his escapability, his pocket sense, and his arm.  It's not as though they have a strong rushing game they could lean on to limit what Hundley had to do.

AVP won me over in the 1996 playoff game against the Squeelers.  Jim Kelly was concussed, and AVP calmly led the Bills the length of the field for a TD to close the gap on the Squeelers.  Kelly insisted on coming back, threw some INT's, game over.  By the time he got to start again (after playing behind such notables as Todd Collins and Billy Joe Neckbert), the Bills were a mess.  He was Chad Pennington redux, but the Bills had no D by then, and the offense was Larry Centers.  They made him OC of the Bills far ahead of his time, and he crashed and burned.  Hopefully he's learned a few things since then.  I wish him nothing but success.  One of my favorite Bills when he was here.