Andrew Luck Has Started to Throw; Looking Sharp in Training Camp

26CornerBlitz

INDIANAPOLIS Andrew Luck still isn’t throwing a football, and that’s weird. His bosses with the Indianapolis Colts profess to be fine with it, and that’s really weird.

We’ve not reached the “everyone freak out” stage, not yet, but with minicamp starting in five days and training camp in about seven weeks, that day's visible on the horizon. Colts coach Frank Reich and general manager Chris Ballard speak with such absolute confidence of Luck’s return — Reich has said he is “absolutely confident” Luck will be ready to open the 2018 season — it’s starting to feel easier to dismiss them entirely than take them at their word.

19 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

If he plays, I think this is a preview for how Luck's season goes

Dude has been overhyped for years. 

Tebow is not an apt comparison for Luck. 

I don't think "overhyped" is an apt description of Luck, either.  His first 3 seasons, especially 2014 with 297+ ypg, 40 TD, 7.8 ypa - he sure looked like "all that"

Then by all accounts, the Colts mismanaged him egregiously.  They wouldn't put "The Franchise" on the shelf long enough for the glue to dry, and playing broke, he busted up big time.

I think the Colts may regret not taking a QB this draft - not because Luck was overhyped, but because you can't put the spilled milk back in the glass.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tebow is not an apt comparison for Luck. 

I don't think "overhyped" is an apt description of Luck, either.  His first 3 seasons, especially 2014 with 297+ ypg, 40 TD, 7.8 ypa - he sure looked like "all that"

Then by all accounts, the Colts mismanaged him egregiously.  They wouldn't put "The Franchise" on the shelf long enough for the glue to dry, and playing broke, he busted up big time.

I think the Colts may regret not taking a QB this draft - not because Luck was overhyped, but because you can't put the spilled milk back in the glass.

He hasn't thrown a football in 18 months, and we are 3 months from the season kickoff. 

I just don't see a scenario where he could play 2018 at a level that is consistent with 2012-2014 production. 

Luck is a poor mans Matt Stafford. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

The Colts had the opportunity to draft any QB besides Mayfield.  They probably regret it already.  Now they're forced to try the Buddy Nix teambuilding approach, which involves addressing every position but QB.  I think we all know how well that works.

Edited by Buffalo86
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He hasn't thrown a football in 18 months, and we are 3 months from the season kickoff. 

I just don't see a scenario where he could play 2018 at a level that is consistent with 2012-2014 production. 

Luck is a poor mans Matt Stafford. 

Your first sentence is correct.  And if I were Frank Reich that would be turning my hair greyer, because  I wouldn't bet against your second sentence being true as well.

"Luck is a poor man's Matt Stafford" is just a strange statement to me.  If the guy gets his shoulder/arm back, Stafford is a poor man's Andrew Luck.  If he doesn't, Luck is nowhere near Matt Stafford, poor man's version or not.  More like a 2015 version of Peyton Manning, benched for Brock Osweiler.

The whole original contention of him being "overhyped for years" is what I mainly object to.  The point is, before injuries, he was all that he was thought to be and on track to be a great.  After a few years of being run ragged behind a Dollar Tree offensive line, injured, and having his recovery screwed up, it's an open question whether he'll come back, and if so, to what level.

But that's different from what "overhyped" means to me.  Johnny Manziel was "overhyped".  Tim Tebow was "overhyped".  Andrew Luck could actually play da*n fine NFL football.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

The Colts had the opportunity to draft any QB besides Mayfield.  They probably regret it already.  Now they're forced to try the Buddy Nix teambuilding approach, which involves addressing every position but QB.  I think we all know how well that works.

Or maybe not.  What's the 2019 QB crop look like? 

• Like (+1) 1

so the Luck story took the inevitable turn to "well... he's actually NOT throwing a football yet"

When drunk people in the parking lot can drink beer and toss a football around pregame and your NFL QB cannot throw a football for 18 months, even at a minicamp, something is wrong

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or maybe not.  What's the 2019 QB crop look like? 

Supposedly not nearly as good as the 2018 crop, but there's no telling who progresses or how much over the coming year.  You've got a point: the Luckless Colts should be a shoe-in to pick at the top of the draft again next year.  They could easily go 0-6 in their division.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Your first sentence is correct.  And if I were Frank Reich that would be turning my hair greyer, because  I wouldn't bet against your second sentence being true as well.

"Luck is a poor man's Matt Stafford" is just a strange statement to me.  If the guy gets his shoulder/arm back, Stafford is a poor man's Andrew Luck.  If he doesn't, Luck is nowhere near Matt Stafford, poor man's version or not.  More like a 2015 version of Peyton Manning, benched for Brock Osweiler.

The whole original contention of him being "overhyped for years" is what I mainly object to.  The point is, before injuries, he was all that he was thought to be and on track to be a great.  After a few years of being run ragged behind a Dollar Tree offensive line, injured, and having his recovery screwed up, it's an open question whether he'll come back, and if so, to what level.

But that's different from what "overhyped" means to me.  Johnny Manziel was "overhyped".  Tim Tebow was "overhyped".  Andrew Luck could actually play da*n fine NFL football.

Andrew Luck was hyped as the best prospect since Elway. He's not even the best QB of his draft class. 

He's proven to be a good QB. Not elite, maybe great under some definitions, but I'd argue good (top 8-16, depending on year) 

Stafford has a bit of Jay Cutler to him, it's never good enough. Front office issues, bad coaching, terrible scheme, lack of playmakers, blah blah blah. He puts up good stats but it never clicks. Great QB to get you to 9-7, where you might sneak in a wildcard. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

so the Luck story took the inevitable turn to "well... he's actually NOT throwing a football yet"

When drunk people in the parking lot can drink beer and toss a football around pregame and your NFL QB cannot throw a football for 18 months, even at a minicamp, something is wrong

BEER - there is no BEER at practice!  You just might be on to something here... ?

50 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How dare this Keefer say they were short throws?  Kim Jung QB threw the ball where he wanted.  When the camera was turned off he threw two to Singapore.  One was caught by the supreme leader and Trump dropped the other one.  

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is it just me or does Josh Allen look much more comfortable throwing the ball?

Getting over the mental aspect of an injury can sometimes be as hard as the physical. Will take some reps before he can get over the vision of his arm flying off down the field.

Edited by rafter