CFL Rights Claimed For Mayfield & Jackson

OldTimeAFLGuy

....Johnny Meatball out in the cold??................

CFL teams claim negotiating rights to Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson

• Kevin SeifertNFL Nation

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson were among 90 players revealed Tuesday to have been claimed by Canadian Football League teams.

Both players are preparing for the NFL draft and are expected to be high selections. Neither is likely to enter the CFL. But if plans change in the coming years, Mayfield's rights belong to the Toronto Argonauts. Jackson's rights are owned by the British Columbia Lions.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22516410/baker-mayfield-lamar-jackson-players-cfl-negotiation-list

2 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Joke’s on us. Pegual can’t have two sports teams in the same city AND simultaneously sign a QB who’s rights are claimed in two different professional football leagues on the same continent. 

I did read that somewhere. Fine print though.

51 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Johnny Meatball out in the cold??................

CFL teams claim negotiating rights to Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson

• Kevin SeifertNFL Nation

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson were among 90 players revealed Tuesday to have been claimed by Canadian Football League teams.

Both players are preparing for the NFL draft and are expected to be high selections. Neither is likely to enter the CFL. But if plans change in the coming years, Mayfield's rights belong to the Toronto Argonauts. Jackson's rights are owned by the British Columbia Lions.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22516410/baker-mayfield-lamar-jackson-players-cfl-negotiation-list

Means nothing,  top QB'S make about $400,000 per season.  Not sure why any QB with any talent would go there

15 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

This is the obligatory "Jackson would do amazing in the CFL" post. Even though I don't watch CFL to know how their game is different. 

Field is wider and some other minor stuff.

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Means nothing,  top QB'S make about $400,000 per season.  Not sure why any QB with any talent would go there

Jim Kelly says hi.

24 minutes ago, dulles said:

I think you are thinking of Flutie.  Kelly played in the USFL.

5 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Warren Moon says Kelly never played there mate!

Missing the point guys.  He was drafted by the NFL and signed with the USFL.  These guys don't have to play in the NFL if they don't want to.  Don't know why they wouldn't but that was what I was getting at.  Similar to how Eli didn't want to play for SD and they traded him to NYG right after they drafted him.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Missing the point guys.  He was drafted by the NFL and signed with the USFL.  These guys don't have to play in the NFL if they don't want to.  Don't know why they wouldn't but that was what I was getting at.  Similar to how Eli didn't want to play for SD and they traded him to NYG right after they drafted him.

The USFL paid a competitive wage where the CFL does not. Not even apples and oranges. It's like comparing apples to Tim, the guy up the street that ate an apple last Tuesday. 

And once Eli was drafted his only option to play in the NFL is play for the Chargers (had a trade not been made) or sit out a year and potentially leave a ton of money on the table by re-entering the next draft. Bo Jackson went that route. Check out how many rounds he slipped in the second draft.

17 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The USFL paid a competitive wage where the CFL does not. Not even apples and oranges. It's like comparing apples to Tim, the guy up the street that ate an apple last Tuesday. 

And once Eli was drafted his only option to play in the NFL is play for the Chargers (had a trade not been made) or sit out a year and potentially leave a ton of money on the table by re-entering the next draft. Bo Jackson went that route. Check out how many rounds he slipped in the second draft.

I understand that.  Again my point is if a guy is drafted by a team he doesn't want to play for they have other options. 

And Tim is a jerk.  Still owes me for the bananas I bought him.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 5:20 PM, Niagara Dude said:

They don't. They go there when they can't get an NFL job.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Mayfield would be GREAT for the Argos! -Are you listening up there Torontonians?!  COME AND GET HIM!

It is their master plan to sign more and more former NFL guys to then market themselves as a NFL team. Those Toronto fans would believe anything after watching Bills choke in the Rogers Center for those series games.

• Haha (+1) 1