Mark Schofield: Pre-Combine Quarterback Thoughts; Post-Combine Thoughts Linked

26CornerBlitz

The 2018 NFL Scouting Combine is just around the corner, a time when the professional football world descends upon Indianapolis to pursue dreams and consume St. Elmo’s Cocktail Sauce by the gallon. For many positions, the testing drills can result in dramatically improved draft stock, just ask Byron Jones or John Ross. But when it comes to the quarterbacks, it is often what happens away from the field – but not always – that has the most impact. In the return of Check With Me, Mark Schofield has some thoughts on what he’s watching at the Combine, and wades into the Josh Allen debate once more.

The Most Important Places in Indianapolis for the Top QBs

Sure, the passing drills will be covered live and will be scrutinized ad nauseam. But for many quarterbacks in this class, what happens on the field is dwarfed by the importance of what happens either on- or off-camera, with one exception. Heading into the Combine here are the most important places for the “Top Five” quarterbacks in this class – at least in my mind.

That's a really nice breakdown of the prospects. One of the things that jumps out at me is him specifically referencing Lamar's experience in the Daboll-style offense. I also agree with him regarding Lauletta and Chase Litton. I'm really curious to see how their draft stock shapes up at the end of the draft process. I like Lauletta a lot and I think Litton is a decent option for the last couple rounds if Buffalo wants to draft multiple QBs (which I doubt, but you can't completely write it off).

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

That's a really nice breakdown of the prospects. One of the things that jumps out at me is him specifically referencing Lamar's experience in the Daboll-style offense. I also agree with him regarding Lauletta and Chase Litton. I'm really curious to see how their draft stock shapes up at the end of the draft process. I like Lauletta a lot and I think Litton is a decent option for the last couple rounds if Buffalo wants to draft multiple QBs (which I doubt, but you can't completely write it off).

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

This might be the best write up I have seen....

Schofield is excellent.  He and Nate Geary have been doing 2018 QB prospect podcasts that are posted on WGR. 

Two months before the 2018 NFL Draft, the evaluation is far from finished on any prospect, especially quarterbacks.

Nobody has gotten a detailed medical report. Many coaches haven't dug into tape. Even scouts who have tracked players over the past year and spoken to everyone possible about them may not have shaken their hands. That's what makes the next phase in the process so critical for any team thinking about instantly transforming one of these guys into the face of the franchise.

Still, in my conversations with NFL people about Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Co. since last fall, it sticks out how often I've heard some version of the phrase there are questions when it comes to every one of these guys. Or, as one general manager -- the lone person I spoke to a year ago who accurately predicted three QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft would go within the first 12 picks -- put it recently: "This year, I have major concerns about all of them."

Over the past week, I spoke to 15 veteran evaluators from 12 NFL teams, from decision-makers to area scouts, who have closely studied this year's QBs, to provide a window into the questions teams will be trying to answer about each of them, starting this week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

• 2 weeks later...

@TenintheHead
@NickFaberNFL
@MarkSchofield

Quarterback time! Ten in the Head is joined by one of the elite QB scouts in the world. We're talking Allen, Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield and Rosen! Who would Mark take as the Browns GM? Did anyone's stock fall because of the combine? Find out all the answers on the latest episode of Ten in the Head.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Mark Schofield: Pre-Combine Quarterback Thoughts; Post-Combine Thoughts Linked