Interesting idea in this CBS.com Mock

JÂy RÛßeÒ

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-jets-trade-up-for-sam-darnold-christian-kirk-lands-with-patriots/

They have Josh Rosen going #2 to the Giants.  Here's what they have the Bills doing:

BUF.png21. Buffalo Bills

Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. The Bills will likely explore a variety of trade-up options. Ultimately, the price will be too steep to move around 20 spots in this draft to pick a quarterback. They stay put, pick Rudolph and start to build around him with their glut of early-round picks.

BUF.png22. Buffalo Bills from Chiefs

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State. If you pick Rudolph, why not pair him with his ultra-productive downfield wideout? Washington has outstanding ball skills, body control, and some of the most electric deep speed in the class. 

With consecutive picks, grabbing a QB and WR who already have chemistry and were mega-productive sounds like a very good idea to me.  Note that I have not done extensive research or anything but this does sound like a good scenario.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-jets-trade-up-for-sam-darnold-christian-kirk-lands-with-patriots/

They have Josh Rosen going #2 to the Giants.  Here's what they have the Bills doing:

BUF.png21. Buffalo Bills

Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. The Bills will likely explore a variety of trade-up options. Ultimately, the price will be too steep to move around 20 spots in this draft to pick a quarterback. They stay put, pick Rudolph and start to build around him with their glut of early-round picks.

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State. If you pick Rudolph, why not pair him with his ultra-productive downfield wideout? Washington has outstanding ball skills, body control, and some of the most electric deep speed in the class. 

With consecutive picks, grabbing a QB and WR who already have chemistry and were mega-productive sounds like a very good idea to me.  Note that I have not done extensive research or anything but this does sound like a good scenario.

Grabbing a QB and WR who have chemistry sounds like a good idea. Drafting Mason Rudolph does not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

That's from Chris Trappasso.  He's a Bills fan from Rochester that has for whatever reason had Rudolph as his #1 overall prospect for like a year now.  He's either nuts or he's a genius.  Time will tell.  Most people have Rudolph as the #6-7 QB and not even a first rounder so take it with a grain of salt

• Like (+1) 1

i'd be fine with this. maybe we can grab d. wolfe when he gets cut and maybe get h. phillipps in the 2nd. idk

edit: i responded too fast because i think the most important thing in this draft other than settling the qb situation is getting an absolute beats dt. i'd love to find a way to get both vea and hurst or vea/payne/harrison.

if we don't figure out how to have a vicious 4 man front, we will be in the same boat as post dareus. if we can land one or 2 studs in the draft or one draft and one fa, we won't need to be talking so much about our lb corp.

actually we don't need to do much at all. draft one good lb in the 2nd, re-sign brown. put lorax on another one year deal and use him at de on passing downs. we have milano. tanner, rookie....etc.

point is we need a beastly front 4.

Edited by billsredneck1

10 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Grabbing a QB and WR who have chemistry sounds like a good idea. Drafting Mason Rudolph does not.

I think we should draft Baker Mayfield in the first and see if we can grab Mark Andrews (TE, I know) on day two.

Seems like that's too high for both of those guys (though Washington could sneak into the first if he shows well). I struggle with "consolation" quarterbacks. If we're going to do that I would rather sign Bridgewater and McCarron and have them compete. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think if they are going to go with mason Rudolph they should just take two blue chippers at other positions in the 1st and take Mike White in the 2nd.

.....why not?.......Anthony Miller is projected as a 2nd......kid showed some promise....is this an accurate assessment on White from Joe Schad?.............

White is 6-feet-4, 221 pounds, and as important, he posted 63 touchdowns, 15 interceptions with 66.4 percent completions and a passer rating of 158.1 at Western Kentucky. He hails from Boca Raton FL and said he'd love to play for the Dolphins.

“My strength is just throwing the ball,” White said. “Everything that comes with being a passer. Accuracy. Arm strength. Decision making. Being able to sit in the pocket and stare down the barrel of a gun and still deliver a ball. Whether that’s taking a couple of shots or making some subtle movements.”

White’s arm strength can be traced to his days as a dominant pitcher at University. White was a high-school All-American with a 90 mile-per-hour fastball, a 9-2 record and 0.43 earned run average. Many felt his future was in baseball.

One of the most intriguing things about White is his late-bloomer status.

After two seasons at USF, former coach Willie Taggert went to a spread-option offense and so he transferred to Western after discussing the matter with Doughty.

“We had known each other, worked with the same QB coach (Ken Mastrole), from the same area,” White said. “And he reached out to me and said we might have an opening. It was perfect timing because I had to sit out during his last year. So when he left I kind of got the chance to step in and play for two years. And it turned out to be one of the better decisions I’ve made.”

It's gonna be so interesting to see where Rudolph and Lamar in particular land. Trepasso has Rudolph as the #1 QB in the draft while the guys at WalterFootball have him as a late 4th rounder. And ESPN has Lamar as roughly a 3rd rounder while there's been rumors that Cleveland might consider Lamar with one of their 1st round picks.

43 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

BUF.png21. Buffalo Bills

I covet James Washington.  I don't watch college football but I've been watching a lot of QB film and when you watch Rudolph, you can't help but see Washington.  He's good.  Maybe end of the first round good, I don't know how these guys grade WR.  FWIW our own Astro (Dean Kindig) has him as his #1 WR choice.

I don't know about Rudolph.   I guess he "looks like you want your QB to look" and he does scan the field and progress on occasion, throw into tight windows now and then, and has a bit of experience working under center - but fundamentally he's an Air Raid Offense QB and not particularly mobile - some people have commented on his ability to run, but who did that interesting college QB draft study where limited mobility was a factor?  He doesn't run very much and there's something about the way he runs I don't like. 

A number of early scouting reports have him as a 2nd round pick, but I think he's a guy you need to sit for a year and try to train him on an NFL offense, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe trade down to the top of the 2nd, gain a pick and draft him?

Other mocks have us doing crazier things I like less.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

After the combine we will stop seeing all of the Rudolph first round projections. He's a 3rd or 4th round pick imo. This would pretty much be the worst way to spend two first round picks. 

First round, maybe not.  But why do you put him at 3rd or 4th?  He played against a high level of competition, and he did a lot of good things.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I covet James Washington.  I don't watch college football but I've been watching a lot of QB film and when you watch Rudolph, you can't help but see Washington.  He's good.  Maybe end of the first round good, I don't know how these guys grade WR.  FWIW our own Astro (Dean Kindig) has him as his #1 WR choice.

I don't know about Rudolph.   I guess he "looks like you want your QB to look" and he does scan the field and progress on occasion, throw into tight windows now and then, and has a bit of experience working under center - but fundamentally he's an Air Raid Offense QB and not particularly mobile - some people have commented on his ability to run, but who did that interesting college QB draft study where limited mobility was a factor?  He doesn't run very much and there's something about the way he runs I don't like. 

A number of early scouting reports have him as a 2nd round pick, but I think he's a guy you need to sit for a year and try to train him on an NFL offense, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe trade down to the top of the 2nd, gain a pick and draft him?

Other mocks have us doing crazier things I like less.

This is how I felt when I was watching Chase Litton film the other day and kept seeing this guy named Tyre Brady pop up. I'm curious to see if he ends up getting some looks in the NFL next season because I was really impressed by him in the 2 or 3 games of Litton's that I watched.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First round, maybe not.  But why do you put him at 3rd or 4th?  He played against a high level of competition, and he did a lot of good things.

A few others have said it, but I just see Bryce Petty. He isn't special and just doesn't move the needle for me at all. I don't see upside, or high level starter. Average arm and little athleticism. I don't really understand the love for him. I see a guy along the lines of a slightly bigger Matt Moore. 

I like Rosen. I get why people like Darnold. I get why people like Mayfield. I can see the upside of an Allen or Jackson. For me Rudolph is in the third tier of QBs in this draft with Falk and White etc. I just can't believe people are mocking him in the first. 

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A few others have said it, but I just see Bryce Petty. He isn't special and just doesn't move the needle for me at all. I don't see upside, or high level starter. Average arm and little athleticism. I don't really understand the love for him. I see a guy along the lines of a slightly bigger Matt Moore. 

I like Rosen. I get why people like Darnold. I get why people like Mayfield. I can see the upside of an Allen or Jackson. For me Rudolph is in the third tier of QBs in this draft with Falk and White etc. I just can't believe people are mocking him in the first. 

Is he a better prospect than EJ was?  I am one that thinks Rudolph will go in the 1st.

I was high on Rudolph a while ago, but have been watching as much film of him as I can find.

I'm backing off this guy.  He has many of the flaws of Tyrod but with a body like Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

His field vision and anticipation aren't that good and his arm is not as strong as it should be for a dude his size.

He is not good at the things you need to do to be good in the NFL, but work just fine in many college games.

I'm downgrading him to a "pass".

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Is he a better prospect than EJ was?  I am one that thinks Rudolph will go in the 1st.

Nobody will say it in retrospect, but if I were given a choice between a guy with EJ's physical tools and charisma and Rudolph's mediocre at best tools and better accuracy, I'd probably rather take the EJ guy and hope he puts it together. I just think Rudolph has a very low ceiling. At best, I think he's a worse starting QB than Tyrod currently is.

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I think he certainly has better film than EJ. He doesn't have the physical upside that EJ did. Obviously he failed, but he was overdrafted and was really a third or fourth round pick. EJ had much higher potential with a lower floor. Rudolph is very average to below average physically but has some good college tape. If you want a solid backup he's your guy. If you want a possible high upside starter he is not. 

We we need a true franchise quarterback and that is why this guy just doesn't move the needle imo.