Time for Bill Polian to Retire

KDIGGZ

The OP is spot on.  Polian’s public comments have been a bit off-base.  I’m thinking he isn’t following the game as close as he has been in the past.  

I’m very glad this man was not the football czar as rumored in 2014.  If you look at his recent drafts they aren’t so hott

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Jokes on you, I already have my HOF jacket

www.halloffamejacket.com/kdiggz

Do not even need to open actual link to know it is you in your Peter Pan outfit; got tired of such posts and have my browser block images from that server.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/515/peter_flies2_adj_680h.jpg

Could you try a new outfit? Maybe Tinkerbell outfit suits you better.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Hall of Famer and Buffalo Bills Wall of Famer Bill Polian has been in the headlines recently for some head scratching comments.  Old Bill might be losing it and it might be best for him to call it a career.

- Bill's take on 6'3" Lamar Jackson is that he's too short to play QB:

https://deadspin.com/bill-polian-thinks-tall-person-lamar-jackson-is-too-sho-1823155003

- Bill says Nick Foles is so valuable as a backup that the Eagles shouldn't listen to any offers that don't start with 2x 1st round picks and 2x 2nd round picks:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/20/bill-polians-take-on-nick-foles-gives-the-lie-to-his-past-claims-about-tom-brady/

- Bill continues to make the claim that he was the only person that knew Tom Brady was great and had a 1st round grade on him, yet proceeded to not draft him even when he "fell" to the 6th round:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-polian-claims-that-he-had-a-first-round-grade-on-tom-brady-before-2000-draft/

I think Polian is no longer putting the time in to have much meaningful to say.  He's what, 73?

-Has Polian said anything about Allen's accuracy?  'cuz it's what, 3% lower and flatlined between last year and this, while Jackson's improved?

He really did sound like he was playing the "white guys can't jump, athletic black guys can't play QB" tape.

Either that, or it's setting up a post-draft "Hell No, He's Not a Guard!"

-The Nick Foles comment may be Right On.  They say everything has its price, and the Iggles need draft picks and cap room, but the Iggles are going to look pretty dumb if they trade away Foles, Wentz reinjures himself in preseason, and they go into the season with Sudfield who may be a "really really good QB" someday but hasn't shown it in live fire yet.  But if someone piles up enough draft picks pre-bonus, they would get to an offer the Iggles wouldn't refuse.

-Bill is FOS on the Brady thing.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Do not even need to open actual link to know it is you in your Peter Pan outfit; got tired of such posts and have my browser block images from that server.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/515/peter_flies2_adj_680h.jpg

So much anger today.....

39 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

that is a rather dramatic statement about a highly ranked QB before the draft. Maybe 6 months ago would be less careless?

Some folks listen to Bill Polian still.

Could this affect how teams feel about drafting him? If so. Uncool trying to manipulate the consensus.

Depends upon why Polian is trying to manipulate it, now, doesn't it?  Cordy Glenn really can't play tackle in the NFL, he's better suited to guard.

All's fair in love and pre-draft smokescreens

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I like this one  though I'm guessing your browser will block it?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure Lamar will measure 6’3 at the combine. That said, I personally like him as a prospect and think he can play QB. But Polian just gave his opinion, unpopular as it may be. I don’t think it’s nuts though. He can’t make a living running in the nfl with his frame size. That’s a fact. He needs to be more accurate than he was in college. That’s a fact, too. He said he hopes he’s wrong and that he succeeds as an nfl qb, but he’s just giving his assessment. He thinks he would make a better WR than QB in the pros.  Others currently employed by teams may be afraid to say something like this but may have similar concerns.

When Russell Wilson was drafted he made an emphatic statement as a draft commentator that it must be understood that he would never be a starter in this league. He stated that he will never be anything more than a backup. 

I have heard Polian speak about his philosophy in drafting players. He was very committed to analytics relating to the physical profile for positions that included not only physical measurements but also athletic measurements such as speed etc. For his time he was very advanced in that area. The one area of weakness that seems to become more pronounced now that he is not involved in running a franchise is that he has not expanded and used more flexibility within his own methodology. If Polian was still in the business he probably wouldn't be interested in drafting a qb such as Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson.  

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Jackson is too short at 6 3?

I’ve seen several Polian segments and he’s always said he was too slight of frame for QB, but might make it as a WR. (And “God bless him if he wants to try as a QB.)  Maybe he misspoke elsewhere? 

Polian is one guy with one opinion. I’ll still listen to him, he can’t be worse than some of the other clowns. 

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

yeah , he is losing it and the Lamar Jackson is just strange, it seems personal

I’ve heard him talk about Jackson 2-3 times, and he wishes him well. It didn’t seem personal at all. He just doubts his frame and accuracy makes him a sure fire NFL QB. Time will tell.  BTW - nobody gets them all right. I won’t hold Polian to a higher standard. 

• 2 weeks later...