Not So Fast on a Huge Deal for Kirk Cousins says Andrew Brandt

26CornerBlitz

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Two separate points about this, Corner Man. 

First, in case you haven't noticed, McDermott is a system coach.   McDermott wants his players to learn the system, plug into the system, and play in accordance with the system.   That's what he wants.  He doesn't want Brett Favre or some other gunslinger.   He wants a guy who buys into the system, 100%.   He wants a guy who will do his job, every play.   And that is exactly what Cousins strives to be, every day.  Cousins has been a top 10 QB for three years doing just that. 

Second, you call Cousins a system quarterback as thought that's some kind of dirty word or put down.  Who is the greatest system quarterback of all time?  Good arm, not great.  Below average athleticism.  Pocket awareness and mobility increased somewhat over his career, but it isn't great.   Off script is terrible, so he never goes off script.   He just throws the ball away or goes down.   Who is that?   It's Tom Brady, that's who.   Who doesn't want a guy like that?   

I've been saying it for a month - Cousins is good quarterback and he's a good fit for McDermott.  They think alike.  He also is a midwest guy, so Buffalo likely will be appealing.   (He hasn't said this and I don't know it, but he probably doesn't want to be in New York City - it's DC and then some.)   He also is a serious Christian, as is McDermott.    Cousins is thoughtful - he will want this to be his last NFL team.  He will be interested in winning over the long run, not necessarily winning in 2018, so he will want a team that has a solid foundation and will build year after year, which is what McDermott says and looks like he is doing.  And Cousins isn't the kind of guy who's going to chase the last dollar; he's going want good compensation and the right situation.   Buffalo can manage the cap to compete on the dollars.   

So I don't see that Buffalo is any less likely to get Cousins than anyone else; in fact, when he's done his homework Cousins could easily decide that Buffalo is where he MOST wants to be.   

Finally, something I've said once before.   Several years ago at about this time of year lots of people were saying it was foolish to talk about Mario Williams coming to Buffalo.  The Bills wouldn't spend the money, Williams wouldn't want to play there, he'd fit better here or there.   Almost until the day it happened, people were saying it couldn't happen.   Now, it didn't work out as well as people hoped, but the point is that it doesn't make sense to believe the Bills can't get Cousins because, well, who wants to come to Buffalo?   Turns out a lot of people want to come to Buffalo, and Cousins could very well be one of them. 

Of course you would say this and I think we already know where you stand.  Minnesota and Denver represent better chances to win while Cleveland and the NYJ represent his chances for the most money. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Never said he would bust.

Now Cousins is "elite"??  He has one season over 4200 yards.  He's never passed for 30 TDs.  

Compares to Brees? Brees, 17 years in had his worst statistical season in years....and he still was better than Cousins.

The Jets would be better with Foles, Keenum.......maybe even Peterman.

Re: calling him elite: YPA, completion pct, td/int ratio, overall rating ... you know, the stats that actually matter the most. In 2015, Cousins had better numbers than Brees in these key categories (as well as qbr). He is a bona fide good player whose numbers slid a little this year partly because of a much worse receiving corps and a bad running game. Context matters. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

By last count people have tried to argue for signing Cousins in Buffalo through comparisons to Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. 

What a time to be alive. 

That's obviously a bit extreme, but i think it stems partly from the context-free analysis of Cousins' time in Washington that is so pervasive here. He is a good qb who will make a team like the jets, denver, or arizona a LOT better.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

By last count people have tried to argue for signing Cousins in Buffalo through comparisons to Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. 

What a time to be alive. 

in contrast to comparing him to  Gino Smith or Bradford or Chase Daniel or Joe Webb or Mark Sanchez?  

;)

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

His numbers are very comparable to Brees' elite numbers when the latter played for a bunch of 7-9 teams. Brees made a 3-13 team a 7-9 team with his elite play. Washington has been a bad team outside of their passing game, and the stats show it pretty clearly. 

My comparables, production-wise, would be Russell Wilson, Big Ben, and Matthew Stafford based on the past 3 years.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Re: calling him elite: YPA, completion pct, td/int ratio, overall rating ... you know, the stats that actually matter the most. In 2015, Cousins had better numbers than Brees in these key categories (as well as qbr). He is a bona fide good player whose numbers slid a little this year partly because of a much worse receiving corps and a bad running game. Context matters. 

That's obviously a bit extreme, but i think it stems partly from the context-free analysis of Cousins' time in Washington that is so pervasive here. He is a good qb who will make a team like the jets, denver, or arizona a LOT better.

I think most would agree that wins, yards, TDs all matter more than YPA, TD/Int ratio and %.  Josh McKown had a better completion rate, a better QB rating, nearly the same YPA, the same TD/int ratio---and you think the Jets would be wise to break the bank to replace him with Cousins?

Well I agree that Cousins may make a bad team better (although it didn't work out that way in DC. The Skins are a better team than the Jets).

But comparing one player's ceiling against a truly great player's lowest point doesn't do wonders for your point.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best

Say WHAT??? 

Buffalo Bills' offer

Total years and value: Five (team option after first year) for $146 million
Average per year: $29.2 million
Full guarantee at signing: $18 million
Total guarantee: $98 million
Three-year payout: $18 million after Year 1, $78 million after Year 2, $98 million after Year 3.

If Cousins was interested in joining a team that made the playoffs last season, the Bills would have an edge over the Broncos and Jets, who both missed the postseason. Signing Cousins would also allow Buffalo to use its four picks in the first two rounds this April to build a better team around him, instead of packaging some of those picks to trade up for a quarterback.

Pass me that joint  Mike Sando

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Of course you would say this and I think we already know where you stand.  Minnesota and Denver represent better chances to win while Cleveland and the NYJ represent his chances for the most money. 

I'm not sure what you when you say "of course you would say that."   

But the rest of your post is unresponsive to what I said.   I said he will be looking for the right long-term situation and you say Buffalo can't compete with Denver and Minnesota because they offer "better chances to win."   So far as we know, he isn't focused on win now.   That's what I said.   He wants the best long-term situation.   So "better chance to win" is not what is going to make the decision for him.   (And, by the way, Denver was 5-11 last season, so it isn't clear why they offer a "better chance to win" than Buffalo, which has been solidly at .500 for several years.   And don't tell me Denver is great, they just sucked at QB, because then you're telling me that a "system quarterback," which is what you say Cousins is, can single-handedly account for 5 or 6 more wins.)

And when I say, which apparently is true, that he won't chase after the last dollar, you say Buffalo can't compete with New York and Cleveland, because they can pay more.    That just isn't responsive.   Cousins won't care about top dollar nearly as much as other factors.    Let's face it, no one is going to pay him $40 million a year.   Highest it's going to go is in the $30 million range.  Why?  Because beyond $30 million you're simply doing too much damage to your long-term cap situation.   QB comp has gone up gradually, and with the latest contracts we've seen that trend continue.  Cousins isn't going to make some kind of quantum leap in compensation.   Buffalo can pay in the $30 million range (which is what it's going to take), so money is not going to keep Buffalo out of the competition.   

Why isn't it just as easy, on your logic, to say he won't got to Minnesota or Denver because Cleveland and New York can pay more and he won't go to Cleveland and New York because they aren't ready to win now?   

The guy is a thoughtful guy.   He's going to weigh all of the factors that are important to him.   It is very possible, very possible, that Cousins will like the ownership/coaching package in Buffalo better than anyplace else.  If I were a player, I wouldn't go to the Jets so long as Woody Johnson is the owner.   His teams are consistently dysfunctional, just like Ralph Wilson's teams were.   If I were a QB, I wouldn't want to go to Denver, because I'd constantly be in John Elway's shadow.  Elway is the story out there.   If I were a player I wouldn't want to go to Cleveland, simply because they've been screwed up for so long and there isn't any evidence yet that they know how to straighten it out.   Yes they have picks and cap room, but they've had picks and cap room for years and they haven't been able to do anything with those opportunities.   It's just too unsettled.  

In my mind, Minnesota is the real competition.   They seem to have their act together.   They have a consistently improving defense that was stifling for most the season.   Not exciting, just really, really good.  They execute in the passing game without prima donna receivers.   They run well, and they have their rookie phenom running back coming back.   It just looks like a really solid franchise.    The big question is whether Minnesota actually will be bidders for Cousins.   I can't imagine that they will bet on Keenum for the future, good as he was last season.   I wouldn't bet on Bradford, but they might.   I think the big question is how good do the Vikings think Bridgewater is?  I wasn't a believer in him, but there's no denying that he was both solid in executing the offense and able to make things happen with his physical skills and creativity.  Bridgewater probably is going to get $25 million a year; the question is whether the Vikings like Cousins so much better to pay a little more to get him. 

For me, the big question in Buffalo is the same as in MInnesota: do the Bills want Cousins?   If they do, I think they easily have as good a chance as any team in the bidding.  I think the Bills DO want him, for many of the same reasons I think Cousins may want the Bills - reasons that add up to the phrase "the right fit."   I think Mcd wants him because he does what he's told to do, he studies, he's under control and he executes.  I think Beane wants his draft picks; he knows with Cousins he can solve his QB problem and with his picks he can solve the rest of his problems.  

That doesn't mean Cousins will be a Bill.  The Bills may NOT want him, and he may not pick the Bills.   I could easily see him picking the Vikings, if Minnesota is bidding.  But I actually think those will be the two most attractive situations to him.   Denver will be third, but I think Denver will lose out because of Elway and because Denver isn't the midwest.  I think he won't want New York City for reasons similar to why he wants out of Washington, (ownership and big city, high profile) and I think he'll decide that Cleveland is just too risky (Cousins only gets one chance to decide where he will play in his prime, and Cleveland is a high-risk choice.   Cousins isn't a risk taker.)

We'll see in a few weeks.   It'll be interesting, at least, and if Buffalo is in the hunt, it'll be exciting.  

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think most would agree that wins, yards, TDs all matter more than YPA, TD/Int ratio and %.  Josh McKown had a better completion rate, a better QB rating, nearly the same YPA, the same TD/int ratio---and you think the Jets would be wise to break the bank to replace him with Cousins?

Well I agree that Cousins may make a bad team better (although it didn't work out that way in DC. The Skins are a better team than the Jets).

But comparing one player's ceiling against a truly great player's lowest point doesn't do wonders for your point.

Who is this "most" that you refer to? Can you provide a link? More importantly, football is a team sport. Brees' team was 21-27 from 2014-2016, and he was an amazing player every one of those years. Same goes for Philip Rivers, one of the best QBs in the league this century. He has unfortunately been plagued with playing for a team that has been completely snakebitten by injuries over the past half decade, and which has been relatively poorly run to boot. It is the ultimate team game, and QB w-l records are even more meaningless than pitchers' w-l records. You really think Wentz, as good as we was, goes 11-2 without a top-5 DVOA defense? 

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But the rest of your post is unresponsive to what I said.   I said he will be looking for the right long-term situation and you say Buffalo can't compete with Denver and Minnesota because they offer "better chances to win."   So far as we know, he isn't focused on win now.   That's what I said.   He wants the best long-term situation.   So "better chance to win" is not what is going to make the decision for him.   (And, by the way, Denver was 5-11 last season, so it isn't clear why they offer a "better chance to win" than Buffalo, which has been solidly at .500 for several years.   And don't tell me Denver is great, they just sucked at QB, because then you're telling me that a "system quarterback," which is what you say Cousins is, can single-handedly account for 5 or 6 more wins.)

And when I say, which apparently is true, that he won't chase after the last dollar, you say Buffalo can't compete with New York and Cleveland, because they can pay more.    That just isn't responsive.   Cousins won't care about top dollar nearly as much as other factors.    Let's face it, no one is going to pay him $40 million a year.   Highest it's going to go is in the $30 million range.  Why?  Because beyond $30 million you're simply doing too much damage to your long-term cap situation.   QB comp has gone up gradually, and with the latest contracts we've seen that trend continue.  Cousins isn't going to make some kind of quantum leap in compensation.   Buffalo can pay in the $30 million range (which is what it's going to take), so money is not going to keep Buffalo out of the competition.   

Why isn't it just as easy, on your logic, to say he won't got to Minnesota or Denver because Cleveland and New York can pay more and he won't go to Cleveland and New York because they aren't ready to win now?   

The guy is a thoughtful guy.   He's going to weigh all of the factors that are important to him.   It is very possible, very possible, that Cousins will like the ownership/coaching package in Buffalo better than anyplace else.  If I were a player, I wouldn't go to the Jets so long as Woody Johnson is the owner.   His teams are consistently dysfunctional, just like Ralph Wilson's teams were.   If I were a QB, I wouldn't want to go to Denver, because I'd constantly be in John Elway's shadow.  Elway is the story out there.   If I were a player I wouldn't want to go to Cleveland, simply because they've been screwed up for so long and there isn't any evidence yet that they know how to straighten it out.   Yes they have picks and cap room, but they've had picks and cap room for years and they haven't been able to do anything with those opportunities.   It's just too unsettled.  

In my mind, Minnesota is the real competition.   They seem to have their act together.   They have a consistently improving defense that was stifling for most the season.   Not exciting, just really, really good.  They execute in the passing game without prima donna receivers.   They run well, and they have their rookie phenom running back coming back.   It just looks like a really solid franchise.    The big question is whether Minnesota actually will be bidders for Cousins.   I can't imagine that they will bet on Keenum for the future, good as he was last season.   I wouldn't bet on Bradford, but they might.   I think the big question is how good do the Vikings think Bridgewater is?  I wasn't a believer in him, but there's no denying that he was both solid in executing the offense and able to make things happen with his physical skills and creativity.  Bridgewater probably is going to get $25 million a year; the question is whether the Vikings like Cousins so much better to pay a little more to get him. 

For me, the big question in Buffalo is the same as in MInnesota: do the Bills want Cousins?   If they do, I think they easily have as good a chance as any team in the bidding.  I think the Bills DO want him, for many of the same reasons I think Cousins may want the Bills - reasons that add up to the phrase "the right fit."   I think Mcd wants him because he does what he's told to do, he studies, he's under control and he executes.  I think Beane wants his draft picks; he knows with Cousins he can solve his QB problem and with his picks he can solve the rest of his problems.  

That doesn't mean Cousins will be a Bill.  The Bills may NOT want him, and he may not pick the Bills.   I could easily see him picking the Vikings, if Minnesota is bidding.  But I actually think those will be the two most attractive situations to him.   Denver will be third, but I think Denver will lose out because of Elway and because Denver isn't the midwest.  I think he won't want New York City for reasons similar to why he wants out of Washington, (ownership and big city, high profile) and I think he'll decide that Cleveland is just too risky (Cousins only gets one chance to decide where he will play in his prime, and Cleveland is a high-risk choice.   Cousins isn't a risk taker.)

We'll see in a few weeks.   It'll be interesting, at least, and if Buffalo is in the hunt, it'll be exciting.  

What about Arizona? They are a bona fide good team  (#4 in defensive DVOA last season) that just needs a qb. 

Edited by dave mcbride

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I say of course you would say that because you are a strong advocate of the Bills acquiring him.  I addressed a scenarios for his best chances to plug in with teams that represent chances to win over the Bills as well as teams that represent his chances to cash in.  You just stubbornly refuse to see any other places as better alternatives to Buffalo when it's pretty apparent that they are out there.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I say of course you would say that because you are a strong advocate of the Bills acquiring him.  I addressed a scenarios for his best chances to plug in with teams that represent chances to win over the Bills as well as teams that represent his chances to cash in.  You just stubbornly refuse to see any other place as better alternatives to Buffalo when it's pretty apparent. 

AZ isn't mentioned either, and they are a prime candidate that checks all of the boxes.  https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/06/carson-palmer-now-officially-retired-cardinals-have-more-cap-space/

Edited by dave mcbride

15 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best

Say WHAT??? 

Buffalo Bills' offer

Total years and value: Five (team option after first year) for $146 million
Average per year: $29.2 million
Full guarantee at signing: $18 million
Total guarantee: $98 million
Three-year payout: $18 million after Year 1, $78 million after Year 2, $98 million after Year 3.

If Cousins was interested in joining a team that made the playoffs last season, the Bills would have an edge over the Broncos and Jets, who both missed the postseason. Signing Cousins would also allow Buffalo to use its four picks in the first two rounds this April to build a better team around him, instead of packaging some of those picks to trade up for a quarterback.

Pass me that joint  Mike Sando

That's a good article.   It shows how competitive Buffalo can be.   Cousins won't care how much cash he gets in 2018; the money that matters is the total guarantee, and Buffalo can be completely competitive in the total guarantee department - $90 million, give or take.  Cousins doesn't care so much he gets the $90 million, just that he gets it.   Why?   Because he's been franchised two years in a row, and after taxes he's already banked $15 or $20 million.   Whichever deal he takes, he won't be eating Kraft Mac and Cheese in 2018.  

The one thing that I think he has wrong is that the Bills will want to have an out in the contract after 2018 so they can promote a QB they draft.   That doesn't make sense.   If you're going after Cousins, HE's the guy your betting on for the next three to five years, and you aren't going to use a high draft pick to take a QB.   You might take a third or fourth round guy, but not a top guy.   You can bet on only one guy at a time, and whoever signs Cousins will be betting on him.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Who is this "most" that you refer to? Can you provide a link? More importantly, football is a team sport. Brees' team was 21-27 from 2014-2016, and he was an amazing player every one of those years. Same goes for Philip Rivers, one of the best QBs in the league this century. He has unfortunately been plagued with playing for a team that has been completely snakebitten by injuries over the past half decade, and which has been relatively poorly run to boot. It is the ultimate team game, and QB w-l records are even more meaningless than pitchers' w-l records. You really think Wentz, as good as we was, goes 11-2 without a top-5 DVOA defense? 

What about Arizona? They are a bona fide good team  (#4 in defensive DVOA last season) that just needs a qb. 

In the NFL, like it or not, QBs are regarded by their wins, yards and ability to throw TDs.  I don't have a link for that.

And again, even if we were to accept that  your preferred stats "mattered" more, why would the Jets pay for Cousins over McKown?  Because Cousins had a near "elite" season once 2 years ago? 

Rivers's team has been snake-bitten over the past 5 years?  What about the 3 years before that when he led them to an average of 8 wins a season (1 winning season)?  In 2010, Rivers's Chargers had the #1 offense and #1 defense and went 9-7, no playoffs.  In the playoffs, he's not great.  This season, he had the #3 defense in points allowed backing him up and led #4 offense---another 9-7 year and again no playoffs.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I just don't know about Arizona.   I've guessed that Cousins wants to be in the midwest.  If I'm right about that, Arizona is at a serious disadvantage.   I think, but I don't know, that he's also close to his parents, and they live in Florida.   So geographically, Arizona may be all wrong. 

Arizona has given me the sense that they know what they're doing.   They seem like they try this, then they try that.   I don't feel like they have a plan, a system that looks like it can produce a long-term winner.   But that's just me.   Maybe they have a really good story to tell about who they are and where they are going.   

I think the story will be really important to Cousins, and that's why I think Buffalo is in the hunt.   The Bills' story is all about delivering for the city, sort of like the New Orleans post-Katrina story.   Passionate fans (more like the fans he knew at Michigan State), owners who want to change the fortunes of the city and have been putting their money their mouths are, a coach and GM who are passionate about the story and have already taken the first step by getting to the playoffs.   

Arizona doesn't have a story.   It certainly isn't about delivering for the fans - the fans came from all over the country and their true allegiance is to the Giants, the Jets, the Lions, the Bears, the team from wherever they cam from.  Their fans just go to the games as someplace to pass the time.  

Who has a story?   Not the Jets.   "We gotta win one for the Big Apple"?   Nope, doesn't cut it.   Denver?   Their story is being part of the Elway/Peyton QB legacy, and that could sell, but I don't think Cousins is buying that stuff.   Minnesota will sell hardcore midwest  values, something of a winning tradition.   That will compete well with Buffalo.   Cleveland has the same story Buffalo has, and the midwest thing, but they don't have the ownership/GM/coaching package that the Bills have.  

I think Arizona is a dark horse.  

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Never said he would bust.

Now Cousins is "elite"??  He has one season over 4200 yards.  He's never passed for 30 TDs.  

Compares to Brees? Brees, 17 years in had his worst statistical season in years....and he still was better than Cousins.

The Jets would be better with Foles, Keenum.......maybe even Peterman.

I would just like to say I think AJ McCarron is better than both Foles and Keenum. I think as QB's AJ McCarron and Cousins are very close to the same skill level.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I say of course you would say that because you are a strong advocate of the Bills acquiring him.  I addressed a scenarios for his best chances to plug in with teams that represent chances to win over the Bills as well as teams that represent his chances to cash in.  You just stubbornly refuse to see any other place as better alternatives to Buffalo when it's pretty apparent that they are out there.  

I'm not the one being stubborn.   The best evidence is that chances to win now and the best chances to cash in are not the things that COUSINS cares about.   Maybe they are the things YOU would care about, but it's COUSINS who will be making the choice.   My reply to was asking you to comment about what factors you think make other places more attractive than Buffalo to COUSINS, and you come back telling was what would be more attractive to you. 

And yes, I'm an advocate for getting him.  I think he's the best choice.   But that isn't what I'm writing about - I've said repeatedly that what matters is whether McBeane think he's the best choice, and I don't know what they think.   I'm writing about what I think the attractive and unattractive aspects of each team to Cousins.   It's based on reported information and my speculation, not based on the fact that I think the Bills should get him.  

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the NFL, like it or not, QBs are regarded by their wins, yards and ability to throw TDs.  I don't have a link for that.

And again, even if we were to accept that  your preferred stats "mattered" more, why would the Jets pay for Cousins over McKown?  Because Cousins had a near "elite" season once 2 years ago? 

Rivers's team has been snake-bitten over the past 5 years?  What about the 3 years before that when he led them to an average of 8 wins a season (1 winning season)?  In 2010, Rivers's Chargers had the #1 offense and #1 defense and went 9-7, no playoffs.  In the playoffs, he's not great.  This season, he had the #3 defense in points allowed backing him up and led #4 offense---another 9-7 year and again no playoffs.

You really need to do some research on the Chargers' injury situation since roughly 2010 or so. It is horrendous. You are also aware that his team lost two games this season because their awful kicker missed relatively easy kicks in the final seconds? Or that they had the game won against Jax with a minute to go but their RB fumbled? Look at the game logs and you'll see.

Edited by dave mcbride

8 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would just like to say I think AJ McCarron is better than both Foles and Keenum. I think as QB's AJ McCarron and Cousins are very close to the same skill level.

No this is funny!  Well played...

Just now, dave mcbride said:

You really need to do some research on the Chargers' injury situation since roughly 2010 or so. It is horrendous. You are also aware that his team lost two games this season because their awful kicker missed relatively easy kicks in the final seconds? Or that they had the game won against Jax with a minute to go but their RB fumbled? Look at the game logs and you'll see.

We can debate the sidebar of how much of a choker Rivers is, but it distracts from the point that, by your own measures, McKown performed as well (shortened season) as Cousins on a worse team.  How do the Jets get "a lot better" by squandering so much cap by swapping McKwon for Cousins?