Could Cleveland do what San Diego did in 2004?

Dkollidas

For those who don’t recall:

Basically Eli Manning was the #1 QB. 

-San Diego had the first overall pick.

-Eli said he’d rather sit out a year than play for the Chargers.

-San Diego drafted Manning, and made a deal with the Giants after the fact. The Giants, selecting Philip Rivers, made the following trade;

The New York Giants received:

• Eli Manning, QB

The San Diego Chargers received:

Any chance the Browns do this with Rosen? Maybe select him 1st overall, and either find a partner to swap QB’s with, or since they have the pick, take another guy at #4 and then trade Rosen? 

I know now it’s complicated and unlikely, but if they believe he’s the best quarterback, I could see their reasoning for taking the player regardless of what he says about playing for them.

I don't know that there's that big of a consensus that Rosen is the best in the class (I actually see more that say Darnold is better). I think that situation happened because there was a perceived gap between Manning and the other guys, which, could be argued to have been a result of the name alone. 

So I don't see it, but this offseason is probably going to be crazy in several ways so nothing would surprise me. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don't know that there's that big of a consensus that Rosen is the best in the class (I actually see more that say Darnold is better). I think that situation happened because there was a perceived gap between Manning and the other guys, which, could be argued to have been a result of the name alone. 

So I don't see it, but this offseason is probably going to be crazy in several ways so nothing would surprise me. 

In the long run Darnold will be better. Less tude, more durability. Darnold is a grinder who will play hard no matter who takes him. Rosen on the other hand could pull an Eli....

I think it's something that has to be given a bit more serious consideration, than perhaps is happening. The Browns are in a rare situation, where they could do all sorts of things, not the least of which is take 2 QBs in their first 4 picks.

Then wait for the trade offers.

Thing is, they could wait to trade until after this years draft, and go for players and future picks from another team - and unless they get some serious 'coin' to move away from the #4 pick, I think I'd be tempted to do that.

Of course, as with just about everything else, we will get a much better feel for it as a possibility, once the FA QB carousel has spun around a few times. ;)

8 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

-San Diego drafted Manning, and made a deal with the Giants after the fact. The Giants, selecting Philip Rivers, made the following trade;

• Eli Manning, QB

Any chance the Browns do this with Rosen? Maybe select him 1st overall, and either find a partner to swap QB’s with, or since they have the pick, take another guy at #4 and then trade Rosen? 

I know now it’s complicated and unlikely, but if they believe he’s the best quarterback, I could see their reasoning for taking the player regardless of what he says about playing for them.

Posted for attribution:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/24/16815914/nfl-draft-2018-josh-rosen-browns-trade-giants-eli-manning-scenario

I personally think they are more sold on Darnold then Rosen by a little. Rosen is the most pro ready QB in terms of skill and playing in a pro style offense, but Mayfield to me has the safer floor which to me is a QB equal to Joe Flacco pre ACL injury. Rosen I think could have higher upside but I could see him potentially flunking out in the wrong situation, I don't think Mayfield would flunk out.

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

• Eli Manning, QB

Agree with those who say that there is not a consensus number one pick out there in terms of QB to get a big ransom for a given QB.  Also, that Eli benefitted from the family pedigree without necessarily carrying the burden of proof just about any other QB is subjected to.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

i'm hoping the Browns pick a QB with BOTH picks #1 & #4

that would be awesome

I either get a kings ransom for #4.....or i'm picking a QB and trading later

I like this thinking, it’s strategic. I’ll take it a step further. What if Cleveland traded up from the #4 spot to the #2? The trade up would not be as astronomical for Cleveland as it would be for everyone else other than the Colts who currently holds the #3 overall pick. Cleveland also holds the most picks (12) in the 2018 NFL Draft so they do hold quite a bit of firepower if they did want to make such a bold move. Could you imagine the leverage the Browns would have in this draft if they held the #1 AND the #2 overall picks??!!! Wow!

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on who the best QB is in this class.  From what I have seen, there's 4 top guys and then there's everyone else.  Different teams covet different players out of those top 4.  Browns seems most interested in Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield.  Bills seem most interested in Darnold, Allen, Rosen.  The top guy is going to be whoever the Browns think is the top guy and I think whoever picks next will be very happy with who they get from the other 3.  I have Rosen as far and away the best of the bunch but as has been pointed out, he has some injury and attitude concerns.  He may or may not have a long successful career but I think he is going to be the best QB when healthy and on the field.  But you can make an argument for any of the top 4 guys.  Allen is the most gifted, Mayfield is going to leave it all on the field, Darnold is just a very nice player overall but not great at any one thing.  Everyone is going to be waiting to see who the Browns take at 1 and then from there we will see if any teams have 1 of the other 3 high enough on their board to trade up to get one.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

i'm hoping the Browns pick a QB with BOTH picks #1 & #4

that would be awesome

I either get a kings ransom for #4.....or i'm picking a QB and trading later

that would be awesome...if you are the Browns, but not good for us!  I want 1 of the 4 but I don't want the Browns holding them for ransom.  they really could afford to keep both players on the roster if nobody is willing to trade their entire draft to get one.  then from there see who is the starter and then trade the other guy next year.  sneaky sneaky

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on who the best QB is in this class.  From what I have seen, there's 4 top guys and then there's everyone else.  Different teams covet different players out of those top 4.  Browns seems most interested in Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield.  Bills seem most interested in Darnold, Allen, Rosen.  The top guy is going to be whoever the Browns think is the top guy and I think whoever picks next will be very happy with who they get from the other 3.  I have Rosen as far and away the best of the bunch but as has been pointed out, he has some injury and attitude concerns.  He may or may not have a long successful career but I think he is going to be the best QB when healthy and on the field.  But you can make an argument for any of the top 4 guys.  Allen is the most gifted, Mayfield is going to leave it all on the field, Darnold is just a very nice player overall but not great at any one thing.  Everyone is going to be waiting to see who the Browns take at 1 and then from there we will see if any teams have 1 of the other 3 high enough on their board to trade up to get one.

that would be awesome...if you are the Browns, but not good for us!  I want 1 of the 4 but I don't want the Browns holding them for ransom.  they really could afford to keep both players on the roster if nobody is willing to trade their entire draft to get one.  then from there see who is the starter and then trade the other guy next year.  sneaky sneaky

It would be a ballsy move but I don't think they risk letting Barkley slip through their net.  Barkley will come in handy for those AFC North games in Nov and Dec.  

Edited by RochesterRob

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I like this thinking, it’s strategic. I’ll take it a step further. What if Cleveland traded up from the #4 spot to the #2? The trade up would not be as astronomical for Cleveland as it would be for everyone else other than the Colts who currently holds the #3 overall pick. Cleveland also holds the most picks (12) in the 2018 NFL Draft so they do hold quite a bit of firepower if they did want to make such a bold move. Could you imagine the leverage the Browns would have in this draft if they held the #1 AND the #2 overall picks??!!! Wow!

If they did this, they would be drafting whomever they have as the highest rated QB and Saquon Barkley.  I don't discount the possibility of doing this to make sure they get they guys that they want.  I can't believe for a second that Barkley will make it to the #4 pick.

3 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

If they did this, they would be drafting whomever they have as the highest rated QB and Saquon Barkley.  I don't discount the possibility of doing this to make sure they get they guys that they want.  I can't believe for a second that Barkley will make it to the #4 pick.

It's possible, and I'd even go as far as plausible. CLE goes Darnold at 1, Team trades up to 2 for Rosen, Chubb goes to Indy at 3.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's possible, and I'd even go as far as plausible. CLE goes Darnold at 1, Team trades up to 2 for Rosen, Chubb goes to Indy at 3.

Wouldn't it make sense for Indy to take him if he falls to them?  They could have a star runningback take over the reins until Luck gets healthy and then have quite the offense.  I don't think he'd make it past Indy.  

Edited by Buffalo30