This should be the Bills plan at Qb

billspro

54 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Cutler comparison for Rosen is really not the closest 

It took Cutler till his SR year to play at a level that Rosen did as a true Freshman 

He is way ahead of Cutler at his age honestly. Eli Manning is a closer comp

Trent Dilfer loves his football IQ

100% agree. I also don't think Rosen carries himself like Cutler in any way. 

Edited by GunnerBill

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My best friend avidly wants us to draft Mayfield and I'm all for it

but I constantly remind him that as damn good as he is(and I believe it) The history of The NFL says he has a tough road

but I wouldn't bet against him 

He does have a tough road. Cowherd even today calls Baker 5-11. Most successful  NFL QB's have been 6-3 and up. Not to say a Russell Wilson can't pop up from time to time, but it is very rare. If Baker was 6-3, all 32 teams would want him. If you take him you are definitely rolling the dice.

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's not his lack of intelligence or athletic ability that will be the issue. Mora protected and coddled Josh from the media for his entire time at UCLA. Darnold was just the opposite.  He constantly did local interviews and came across as a down-to-earth kid who just wants to go out and grind. When I use the Jay Cutler comparison it's more about his personality, then his arm strength or throwing ability.

I acknowledge and respect that side of the coin. He certainly was more protected... but Sam wasn't the 5* prodigy . Just a uber gifted 4* QB that got redshirted like USC always does

Rosen was UCLA... Well see how he handles NFL media pressure 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I acknowledge and respect that side of the coin. He certainly was more protected... but Sam wasn't the 5* prodigy . Just a uber gifted 4* QB that got redshirted like USC always does

And that's the problem. Josh has been told and touted since his junior year at St John Bosco he will be the next great NFL qb. He stepped on the Rose Bowl field  with a little bit of an inflated head. And sometimes that showed up in his style of play. yes he had receivers that dropped a ton of balls but it seemed like he did not lift up his fellow players enough. Last year I asked Jim Mora at a Rose Bowl spring event with other local media there about why we rarely see or hear Josh interviewed. He simply change the subject. It was like he was protecting him from something, maybe his own personality or maybe some of the controversial comments he's made. Every player has red flags and there's just something different  about Josh Rosen. I have no doubt Beane will do his homework. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I just don't think he's going to be able to handle it. I'm not saying he's going to lose it like Ryan Leaf, but he may just decide to do other things and that's where his passion for football has been put up for debate? If someone could convince me that he's 100% vested in the NFL for the long term, then he's the qb you go after at all costs!

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cutler is way more of a physical specimen than Rosen. That's why I don't get it

Rosen is a Cerebral QB who is perfect fundamentally. By all accounts very QB savvy. And has as good of touch for a kid his age as you can find

Cutler is way closer to being Josh Allen. A big , strong athlete with a cannon. Cutler used to truck guys in the SEC

Rosen may look "laid back" but nothing about his game says that. He must have a tremendous work ethic to be the FIRST EVER true Freshmen QB starter at UCLA and be a consensus 5* #1 QB and he backed it

If YOU MUST compare him to a bad or semi average  QB I think he would be more favorable to a Tim Couch who got screwed in Cleveland. 

I also watched him play two of the worst games I have ever seen a QB play live his freshman year, that may have tainted my opinion on him. Those 5 star guys that get coddled their entire careers also scare me a bit too. I am not saying he is not a good QB prospect, If he fell to the 8-10 range I would be okay moving up for him.

I agree he is cerebral, I agree he has good fundamentals. There is nothing about his physical ability I don't like. I just think the turnovers, injury history, and lack of leadership are enough for me not to want him in the top 5 with a trade up. If we were there already it may be a different story.

I also have a mid to late first round grade on both Darnold and Rosen.

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

I also watched him play two of the worst games I have ever seen a QB play live his freshman year, that may have tainted my opinion on him. Those 5 star guys that get coddled their entire careers also scare me a bit too. I am not saying he is not a good QB prospect, If he fell to the 8-10 range I would be okay moving up for him.

I agree he is cerebral, I agree he has good fundamentals. There is nothing about his physical ability I don't like. I just think the turnovers, injury history, and lack of leadership are enough for me not to want him in the top 5 with a trade up. If we were there already it may be a different story.

The concussions can turn out to be a real problem if he gets a few in the pros

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

1) Try to sign Kirk Cousins- Bring him in and see if he is a believer in what Sean McDermott is doing. I would offer him a similar contract to Carr and Stafford. If he is trying to be a 30 million per year guy, I'm out. 

2) Sign a lower level Vet and trade up to the top 5-10 for Mayfield- I think Mayfield is the best QB prospect in the draft, if he was two inches taller he would be the unquestioned number 1 QB in the class. Darnold and Rosen are much riskier prospects than Mayfield and I am not willing to trade up into the top 5 for either of them. I think both number ones and a number 5 should get it done. I would be willing to part with one assesst in next years draft if need be. 

3) Sign one of the Vikings QBs and try to trade down to early round two. In round two I am drafting either Rudolph or White, hopefully I get to pick my favourite of the two. 

I would be comfortable with any of those QB situations heading into next season. 

no.2 we don't need a low level vet . with nate having another camp, he will be fine starting.

no.3 i would assume bradford would be maybe the only option for us and for the rest of the idea , i'd be on board with that for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Cutler comparison for Rosen is really not the closest 

It took Cutler till his SR year to play at a level that Rosen did as a true Freshman 

He is way ahead of Cutler at his age honestly. Eli Manning is a closer comp

Trent Dilfer loves his football IQ

Trent Dilfer also made the term “arm talent” a part of everyday QB conversation. 

Therefore, Dilfer is dead to me.

One thing people need to stop doing is comparing QB’s to one another. Rosen isn’t nor will he ever be anything close to Jay Cutler.

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Trent Dilfer also made the term “arm talent” a part of everyday QB conversation. 

Therefore, Dilfer is dead to me.

One thing people need to stop doing is comparing QB’s to one another. Rosen isn’t nor will he ever be anything close to Jay Cutler.

I am not the biggest fan of comparisons either 

QB is way to intricate of a position to label pure comparisons 

People compare Rosen to Cutler because he doesn't seem/feel like a leader. He's also said things like football isn't the most important thing to him or something like it. Yet with his footwork and other abilities plus his pre college rankings I think he'll be the next good pocket QB. The Matt Ryan comparison feels like a good one. I admit he's my favorite QB in the draft and love to move up for him.

Excellent analysis.  I am in total agreement.  If Cousins is sincere about not only being about the money, i can't think of a better place for him to be.  Denver has a lot of questions.  They might lose their top two receivers.  They are a team on the way down.  Buffalo is trending up and they have solid draft selections to work with.  They also have a really good cap situation up coming in 2019.

4 hours ago, billspro said:

He hasn't got a problem with lack of leadership.

Find a place where his high school or college coaches or teammates have complained.

Yeah, he's outspoken. And some teams might not want that. But that doesn't equal a lack of leadership.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Pretty much my same plan.  I too think Baker is the best QB in this draft and fully agree if he was 6’3 he would be the unquestioned top ranked QB and probably number 1 overall pick.  

I too like the idea of signing cousins and using all my picks on the roster, although I think ultimately he will sign with either Jets or Broncos.  But if we draft a QB, Baker is the guy I want the most.  I will still be excited about any first round QB we land, but my preference in order is Baker followed by Rosen, Lamar, Darnold, Allen, Mason.

And Baker would cost us less to trade up to get, plus he might even fall to us if Cousins is signed by Jets or Broncos and AZ takes Lamar like I think they will.

Can you explain why you would ever want Lamar over any of the other qbs?  Not trash talking, I just see Tyrod Taylor all over again with a worse arm.  I thought we were moving away from that

I believe that the Bills are "stuck" at the QB position.  The safe guys that may be available that are out there are going to cost a lot.  Cousins should command around $30m per year.  There's rumors that the Jets are working on a fully guaranteed contract in the $120m+ range.  Keenum is going to get Alex Smith type numbers.  Foles isn't going anywhere in the short term.  Maybe he moves after the verdict is out on Wentz's health.  Free agency gets the Bills another journeyman QB, or they are paying starter money.  Keeping Tyrod will cost them $18m, which might be the best option.  The alternative is obviously the draft.  Moving up to get they guy that they want is probably cost prohibitive.  To boot, there is not much distinction between the top 6 guys at that position.  Every single one of them has flaws or issues to work on.  Darnold holds onto the ball too long and has had a number of questionable turnovers (both fumbles and interceptions).  Allen disappeared against lesser opposition at the college level.  Rosen may be the most physically gifted of the QB's, but has questions as a leader, and serious injury concerns.  Mayfield is undersized, has a weaker arm but put up better numbers than anyone.  Jackson is a hell of an athlete, but has serious accuracy issues.  Rudolph is a statue in the pocket and also takes too long going through his reads.  The OP has a pipe dream if he thinks that we're going to pay for Kirk Cousins AND trade up in the draft for a QB prospect.  It's one or the other or possibly neither.