Does Move Up Plan include Big Free Agents

There are numerous rumors out there of a impending move up to the top of the draft to select our future franchise QB.  If this is the case what's the plan moving forward? Considering its gonna take at least 21 & 22 in 2018  plus a addition 1st in 2019 to move up into the top 5. 

What does that leave us with in 2018

Draft pks total 5 pks

2- 2s

1- 3rd

1- 4th

2- 5ths

Salary Cap Space 

The Bills currently have 30 mil in cap space . After Roll over and releasing Tyrod we should have nearly 50mil to work with. We also have around 95mil in cap space in 2019 . 

That being said how do we move forward knowing we just traded high pks that can turn into building blocks for the future. Does this trade put more emphasis on free agency which we know McBeane has stated doesn't want to spend big money on free agents. I believe McBeane will have no choice but to use free agency to fill the holes we have . 

I really hope we get Kirk cousins so we don't have to spend all our picks which are supposed to build the foundation of this team. 

I would sign Kirk even if that mean getting rid of Richie, Cordy and letting Preston Brown and Gaines walk. 

We trade up and get Rosen we have nothing around him and we also won't have any more picks to get him immediate contributors. We would be throwing him into a very tough situation that I think Kirk could handle for a year. 

None of anything matters until we solve the QB problem. The fact is, teams that win have a franchise QB. We need one and then go from there be it in the draft or FA. I don't have a problem giving up a few picks over two year to land a QB that will stay 10-15 years. We will NEVER know until we try. I support McBeane 100% in trying to move up and secure a top flight QB. Win or Lose, we need to do it and find out.

2 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I really hope we get Kirk cousins so we don't have to spend all our picks which are supposed to build the foundation of this team. 

I would sign Kirk even if that mean getting rid of Richie, Cordy and letting Preston Brown and Gaines walk. 

We trade up and get Rosen we have nothing around him and we also won't have any more picks to get him immediate contributors. We would be throwing him into a very tough situation that I think Kirk could handle for a year. 

Totally agree.  Nevermind the fact we would have a known quantity vs. a total shot incthe dark when it comes to drafting QB.  We need allcthos picks.  Get Cousins then draft DL and LB with first 2 picks.  Get guard and wr in second round.  Resign Gaines in free agency and then Kyle to 1 year.  

5 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I think you've nicely encapsulated the Bills dilemma and why pursuing a big FA like Cousins isn't incompatible with Beane's "build through draft" philosophy.

If we trade most of our draft stock to get a QB, we will have that guy at a good salary for 4-5 years.

Meanwhile we need to throw at least 4-5 picks worth of FA salary at FA to fill holes (we won't "have nothing around him", we'll go for FA).

I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation comparing what I think Cousins contract will be, with signing (say) a good but not top DT, LB, OL, and WR in FA plus one top player.  Overall, I think the math favors 1 big FA signing plus 4-5 draft picks - at the very least, it's far closer than most make it seem.

The other factor is that a 5 year FA contract can be structured so that the 1st year cap hit is manageable.  Now that applies to signing other positions as well as to signing Cousins.

Both strategies can have a path to success, but it isn't a "slam dunk" 1 vs the other

I know one thing I DON'T want to see, and that's Beane sleeping through the start of FA.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There are numerous rumors out there of a impending move up to the top of the draft to select our future franchise QB.  If this is the case what's the plan moving forward? Considering its gonna take at least 21 & 22 in 2018  plus a addition 1st in 2019 to move up into the top 5. 

Draft pks total 5 pks

2- 2s

1- 3rd

1- 4th

2- 5ths

Salary Cap Space 

The Bills currently have 30 mil in cap space . After Roll over and releasing Tyrod we should have nearly 50mil to work with. We also have around 95mil in cap space in 2019 . 

That being said how do we move forward knowing we just traded high pks that can turn into building blocks for the future. Does this trade put more emphasis on free agency which we know McBeane has stated doesn't want to spend big money on free agents. I believe McBeane will have no choice but to use free agency to fill the holes we have . 

That's the problem.  Everything at this point is only rumor or speculation.  Buying into the Bills making big trades or signings at this point is only going to lead to disappointment.  People need to accept that they are not part of the decision making team for the Bills therefore these same people will not receive proprietary information ahead of the media 

13 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Kirk would crumble just as he did in Washington. 

15 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Unless the collective bargaining agreement prohibits it the Bills should be able to do a weighted contract where most of the hit occurs in 2019 and 2020 when our other obligations are minimal.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Kirk would crumble just as he did in Washington. 

Yes, if we got Cousins it would be a part of a plan to use our picks to build up other positions so no top 10 QB draftee.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Draft pks total 5 pks

2- 2s

1- 3rd

1- 4th

2- 5ths

Salary Cap Space 

1. In terms of free agency McBeane has already gone on record he isn't going to make a big splash in UFA. I believe him as you look at what we did ast offseason we looked for pieces that didn't break the cap but served us well. Guys like Hyde and Poyer became Pro Bowl caliber after being solid/lackluster with their former teams. We made Humbler, a career STer, into an adequate starter. Gaines did great after be considered a throw in, in the Watkins trade. So I expect us to find more solid guys in UFA that won't break the bank to come in at start for us.  The only disappointments were on offense, I blame that more on Tyrod then anything as Matthews before coming here was an above average WR, here he rarely got targetted and of course injuries hurt him. Benjamin seemed to have his best chemistry with Peterman. 

2. Benjamin is going to get an extension, I can't see us trading for him to put us over the top in our playoff run, and getting us there, not re-signing here. Injuries are a concern yes but one healthy he's shown to be a top 15- 20 WR in the NFL.

3. We showed we aren't afraid to use draft capital to get guys we like (see Jones and Dawkins trade ups last year). 

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Unless the collective bargaining agreement prohibits it the Bills should be able to do a weighted contract where most of the hit occurs in 2019 and 2020 when our other obligations are minimal.

Yes, if we got Cousins it would be a part of a plan to use our picks to build up other positions so no top 10 QB draftee.

Agree. Could use those picks to replace the players that would be gone. Granted they would be rookies and not have the type of experience that the vets have, but still I would rather keep those picks and build around Cousins, but that's just me. I just have trouble seeing them able to land him with all the money he would want, but I would definitely take a swing at Cousins.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

By nothing around a QB do you mean Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Charles Clay, Dion Dawkins, Ritchie Incognito and Cordy Glenn? I think people exaggerate the situation because they're afraid this team will pick the wrong QB? Not sure what the deal is but signing peoples castoffs seem to be the right route?

4 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Agree. Could use those picks to replace the players that would be gone. Granted they would be rookies and not have the type of experience that the vets have, but still I would rather keep those picks and build around Cousins, but that's just me. I just have trouble seeing them able to land him with all the money he would want, but I would definitely take a swing at Cousins.

People do not realize this but there appears to be good prospects down into the third round depending on a team's needs.  There have been more than a few drafts where the odds are not even 50-50 on a prospect when it gets to where we are picking at number 21.

My belief is if the Bills plan on moving up they will be cutting Taylor so capspace wise they around 44-45 million.

They need at minimum DT, DE, LB, and WR big time. With that capspace if they could grab Star Loutelli, DaQuan Jones,  Avery Williamson, and Donte Montcrief to solidfy those big needs then sacrificing 2x 1st, a 2nd, a 4th, and next year 1st or 2nd would be plausable because they have enough quality players to fill holes.

Free agency for me will be the big thing that shows their hand one way or another. I can't see them trading that high if they don't get 2 impact front 7 guys like Loutelli Jones or Williamson.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

1. In terms of free agency McBeane has already gone on record he isn't going to make a big splash in UFA. I believe him as you look at what we did ast offseason we looked for pieces that didn't break the cap but served us well. Guys like Hyde and Poyer became Pro Bowl caliber after being solid/lackluster with their former teams. We made Humbler, a career STer, into an adequate starter. Gaines did great after be considered a throw in, in the Watkins trade. So I expect us to find more solid guys in UFA that won't break the bank to come in at start for us.  The only disappointments were on offense, I blame that more on Tyrod then anything as Matthews before coming here was an above average WR, here he rarely got targetted and of course injuries hurt him. Benjamin seemed to have his best chemistry with Peterman. 

2. Benjamin is going to get an extension, I can't see us trading for him to put us over the top in our playoff run, and getting us there, not re-signing here. Injuries are a concern yes but one healthy he's shown to be a top 15- 20 WR in the NFL.

3. We showed we aren't afraid to use draft capital to get guys we like (see Jones and Dawkins trade ups last year). 

Its funny how posters here give Beane credit for Hyde and Poyer.

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Draft pks total 5 pks

2- 2s

1- 3rd

1- 4th

2- 5ths

Salary Cap Space 

In listing our draft choices left after moving up, you forgot that we will have a 1st, the one that we traded up for.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Its funny how posters here give Beane credit for Hyde and Poyer.

I give it credit to the McDermott/Beane connection as I'm sure that McDermott had more say in those signings than are de facto GM at the time Whaley. I say that as a Whaley supporter too but it was obvious before he was let go it seemed/felt like McDermott was running the front office much like it felt like Rex was when he was here. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I give it credit to the McDermott/Beane connection as I'm sure that McDermott had more say in those signings than are de facto GM at the time Whaley. I say that as a Whaley supporter too but it was obvious before he was let go it seemed/felt like McDermott was running the front office much like it felt like Rex was when he was here. 

Whaley was pretty good a pro personnel evaluation.