Here me out...Does it matter which QB we draft?

Hypothetically we don't move any where and draft say Lamar Jackson or mason rudolph...who ever is available

or

we give up EVERYTHING and some how draft 1,2 or 3 and get (insert your favorite qb)

does that really mean we are done at the QB position?  i can't imagine who ever we draft that means that tyrod is 100 percent gone, that any free agent is off the table ect  

Philly, and for that case Minnesota have taught that leauge (and Denver is proving the case) that QB should be  like any other position. constantly addressed and if there is an option upgraded via draft of free agency.

I think what you're asking is... Should the Bills continue probing upgrades at the QB position even if they feel they have thier guy?

Yeah I think they should. If anything having a really good backup is just good all around for multiple reasons. Do I think they continue to use 1st round picks and such? No... If they have a good starting QB chances are high another position needs upgrading more than QB.

50 minutes ago, Very Bad Weather said:

Hypothetically we don't move any where and draft say Lamar Jackson or mason rudolph...who ever is available

or

we give up EVERYTHING and some how draft 1,2 or 3 and get (insert your favorite qb)

does that really mean we are done at the QB position?  i can't imagine who ever we draft that means that tyrod is 100 percent gone, that any free agent is off the table ect  

Philly, and for that case Minnesota have taught that leauge (and Denver is proving the case) that QB should be  like any other position. constantly addressed and if there is an option upgraded via draft of free agency.

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.  Are you asking

-does it matter if we trade up, trade down, or stand pat?

Answer: Maybe not

Or are you really asking what your subject says

-does it matter which QB we draft?

Answer:  Yes.  Yes, it does.  It matters a lot.

Or are you asking:

-if we draft a QB and he doesn't work out, is it OK?

Answer: That depends on whether we traded up, traded down, or stood pat

When you look at the Bills draft history, for a long stretch of time, we drafted very badly.  When we did draft a QB (which was too infrequently), we drafted a poor QB.

So yes, it matters a lot which QB we draft.  We need to have good talent evaluators, and they need to do a good job.  We need to hit on as many of ALL our draft prospects as possible.

But there is still the chance that we miss.  And that is the big risk of trading the house and farm and all our cards to move up - because then if you miss, you don't have a house, a farm, or any cards to use next year.

Practically speaking, some options are on or off the table.  If we trade everything and draft high, we can't sign a big $ FA because we need the FA $ to fill holes we can't fill through the draft.

I don't know if this helps.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

#34 has it correct.  Draft to build the team and don't give the farm away by moving up just to get a "maybe" QB.  Be smart this year and build around he QB and see if a QB drafted lower will develop.  

Or take a chance and trade up to get the best available QB in this draft. Or you can use those picks and draft a bunch of MAYBE DT, LB or whatever the hell other wasted positions you want to dream up... Yeah - why don't we draft another Maybins for example - that was a real wonderful pick wasn't it???

ANY PICK CAN BUST... Stop pretending that there is anything that can be thought of as a "safe pick"... There is no such thing and never was...

So take a chance for once. Trade up for what McBean thinks the best available QB out there is... The price doesn't matter... High Risk = High Reward

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

High Risk = High Reward

...Or total loss...  Don't get me wrong, I'm not against taking a chance every now and again... But, I just don't see much "move up" QB talent at the top of this draft to warrant taking that chance... And even if there were, our current offensive situation doesn't support the success of high-pick QB, IMO...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

...Or total loss...  Don't get me wrong, I'm not against taking a chance every now and again... But, I just don't see much "move up" QB talent at the top of this draft to warrant taking that chance... And even if there were, our current offensive situation doesn't support the success of high-pick QB, IMO...

This.  :thumbsup:   NONE of the top QBs stand out from the others as to be even the consensus best QB in the draft much less the best player in the draft.  All of these QBs have significant flaws.  Taking a QB at 21 or 22 would be acceptable to me.  Trading up a few spots (5 or 6) to take Baker Mayfield would be okay if the cost wasn't too much (giving up maybe 1 first and maybe a 3rd at most), but giving up the proverbial "farm" to move into the top five is setting the Bills up for failure in the future unless they hit the lottery like Philly looks to have done in 2016.  Getting a QB on a par with guys like Bortles, Winston or Mariotta wouldn't be good enough IMO.

38 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

#34 has it correct.  Draft to build the team and don't give the farm away by moving up just to get a "maybe" QB.  Be smart this year and build around he QB and see if a QB drafted lower will develop.  

A run stuffer like Payne, and LB like Evans would help this Defense out tremendously... You'll need to replace Dareus, and pretty soon Williams anyway.... The talent to do that is definitely available in 2018's first.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Very Bad Weather said:

or

I here what you're saying.

3 hours ago, Very Bad Weather said:

or

Done? No I believe they sign a veteran QB (If this team pays Tyrod Taylor 18M then this staff should be examined for heavy drug use) and draft a QB, whether they stay put or trade up ( which I think they will) and also have Peterman as a developmental QB so they'll be set. 

6 hours ago, #34fan said:

Nobody saw much "move up" talent last year either. Back then it was "This group sucks. Wait till next year." Then it turned out there were some guys there who despite having flaws look like they might be good.

And it was the same the year before. The Eagles and Rams were idiots for trading up to get guys with so many flaws.

You're right that we have some problems around the QB this year. That will make things harder for whoever is in the games this year. But you don't draft a QB only if you think he'll be in a good position in his first year. Peyton Manning was in a horrible situation his first year. So was Troy Aikman. You draft a QB to have a good career. If he's good his first year, terrific, but if not it's not a big problem.

This is the richest QB draft in a decade or more, according to everyone, most recently Mayock. If you don't see anyone this year to trade up for it's likely because you are unwilling to ever see that kind of talent.

Whether we can get up there at all, or how much we would have to pay, those are separate issues that might indeed prevent us from going up. But there's a better group of talent there this year, likely to go in the top five or six spots than we'll probably see for a long long time.

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

This.  :thumbsup:   NONE of the top QBs stand out from the others as to be even the consensus best QB in the draft much less the best player in the draft.  All of these QBs have significant flaws.  Taking a QB at 21 or 22 would be acceptable to me.  Trading up a few spots (5 or 6) to take Baker Mayfield would be okay if the cost wasn't too much (giving up maybe 1 first and maybe a 3rd at most), but giving up the proverbial "farm" to move into the top five is setting the Bills up for failure in the future unless they hit the lottery like Philly looks to have done in 2016.  Getting a QB on a par with guys like Bortles, Winston or Mariotta wouldn't be good enough IMO.

You know which QBs have significant flaws? All of them. Every single one, every single year. 

And part of the reason none of them stands out far above the others is that the top two especially and maybe even top three, are very very good.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nobody saw much "move up" talent last year either. Back then it was "This group sucks. Wait till next year." Then it turned out there were some guys there who despite having flaws look like they might be good.

And it was the same the year before. The Eagles and Rams were idiots for trading up to get guys with so many flaws.

You're right that we have some problems around the QB this year. That will make things harder for whoever is in the games this year. But you don't draft a QB only if you think he'll be in a good position in his first year. Peyton Manning was in a horrible situation his first year. So was Troy Aikman. You draft a QB to have a good career. If he's good his first year, terrific, but if not it's not a big problem.

This is the richest QB draft in a decade or more, according to everyone, most recently Mayock. If you don't see anyone this year to trade up for it's likely because you are unwilling to ever see that kind of talent.

Whether we can get up there at all, or how much we would have to pay, those are separate issues that might indeed prevent us from going up. But there's a better group of talent there this year, likely to go in the top five or six spots than we'll probably see for a long long time.

I disagree... I've been watching next year's QB crop for a couple seasons, and they look solid...

-I'll tell you what may NOT be available next year... -A quick, powerful, run stuffing, punisher like Da'Ron Payne... That near-perfect combination of strength, size, and speed, doesn't manifest itself often at DT... I WOULD NOT pass him over.

Also, with the Rams, you're talking about an organization that did EVERYTHING they had to for their 1st Rd QB to succeed... -From assembling an arsenal of choice weapons, to firing the coach that drafted him because it HAD to be done. -Is OBD prepared to go that far for a rookie QB??? -They'd better be, because that's what it takes..