Now they like Josh Allen in Trade Up?

PIZ

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

JT Barrett belongs nowhere near that list.

I doubt they were there to scout JT. They scouted two osu games but they have 15 prospects. Also one was Oklahoma so it’s one of mayfield’s two games. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I have no idea where you guys get these bizarre QB comparisons from? As we get close to the combine and pro days we will see more factual scouting on all these QB's and we will all get a better understanding of their rankings.

Right now I see Allen as a top-four pick and perhaps even going #1 overall to Cleveland just from his play in the senior bowl as that play disproved a lot of the negative reports on him. Watch it!

I did not see him go to his second read on any of those throws.

Like I said in another thread.  The Bills like EVERYBODY right now but not really.  The guys they really like will not be known until closer to the draft.  And I do think it's guys rather than the guy.  They have their price they are willing to pay so on and so forth.  I think their approach will be balanced, they'll get one of their guys and still build the team.  May not be the guy you or I wanted but so goes life.  Although if Allen were the guy I'd be so damn pissed in real life, but will be excited to use him in a Madden franchise LOL.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He didn't, which is one of the reasons why I don't want us anywhere near him.  But hey if we do, at least I'll like him in Madden haha.

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

See 1:24

There were a total of what - about 6 plays in that highlight video.   2 were scrambles for positive yards - 1 for a first down.  He completed 3 passes to what appears to be his first read receivers even when they were well covered.   A couple touchdown passes.  In one he completes a touchdown pass to a receiver who looks like it wasn't his first read.

I don't see how anyone can pick on what he did there.   He looks like an absolute superstar there.   If he plays that well in the NFL, this guy is going to stack up Lombardi's. 

27 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

See 1:24

There were a total of what - about 6 plays in that highlight video.   2 were scrambles for positive yards - 1 for a first down.  He completed 3 passes to what appears to be his first read receivers even when they were well covered.   A couple touchdown passes.  In one he completes a touchdown pass to a receiver who looks like it wasn't his first read.

I don't see how anyone can pick on what he did there.   He looks like an absolute superstar there.   If he plays that well in the NFL, this guy is going to stack up Lombardi's. 

Seriously, this is why Mayock moved him up to #2 overall ahead of Rosen and Kiper moved him up to #1 overall. 

The kid looked like a young Big Ben in this game shedding sackers and he had touch on the ball throwing into small windows. Don't forget the competition on the other side of the ball was about equal to what he had on his side. So that glimpse of him in the senior bowl showed he is clearly better than all the negative hype around him while playing at Wyoming. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

Edited by Nihilarian

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Seriously, this is why Mayock moved him up to #2 overall ahead of Rosen and Kiper moved him up to #1 overall. 

The kid looked like a young Big Ben in this game shedding sackers and he had touch on the ball throwing into small windows. Don't forget the competition on the other side of the ball was about equal to what he had on his side. So that glimpse of him in the senior bowl showed he is clearly better than all the negative hype around him while playing at Wyoming. 

Yeah.   I don't know if the guy is going to make it in the NFL or not.   Maybe that game was a one-time deal?

But, if someone wants to nitpick about that video, I think they are crazy.   In the Senior Bowl alone, that guy looked like a future record breaking Hall of Fame kind of QB.

I am not saying he is going to be.   The guy might be a bust in the NFL.    At the Senior Bowl though, he looked like an elite NFL quarterback.    I have no problem whatsoever with the BIlls taking this guy or even moving up in the draft for him if they are convinced he is going to become that elite NFL quarterback.

Some team, whether it is the Bills or not, is going to take a shot at him in the draft (probably pretty high).   And the guy looks like he has a really good shot at becoming a great NFL Qb that could elevate a team tremendously.

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah.   I don't know if the guy is going to make it in the NFL or not.   Maybe that game was a one-time deal?

But, if someone wants to nitpick about that video, I think they are crazy.   In the Senior Bowl alone, that guy looked like a future record breaking Hall of Fame kind of QB.

I am not saying he is going to be.   The guy might be a bust in the NFL.    At the Senior Bowl though, he looked like an elite NFL quarterback.    I have no problem whatsoever with the BIlls taking this guy or even moving up in the draft for him if they are convinced he is going to become that elite NFL quarterback.

Some team, whether it is the Bills or not, is going to take a shot at him in the draft (probably pretty high).   And the guy looks like he has a really good shot at becoming a great NFL Qb that could elevate a team tremendously.

Yeah, that Senior Bowl performance really elevated his stock. I don't think Josh Allen is a day one starter as he needs to work with a good QB coach, OC who will teach him the ropes in the NFL and go over some footwork, mechanics issues. However, I don't think he needs a full season of sitting for him to develop and mature as an NFL QB either. 

If he goes to the right team with good coaching he could be very, very special. He has a Kelly-like arm that can throw a tight spiral in those swirling Buffalo winds and he doesn't have small hands like Darnold. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland takes him #1 overall. I just hope they don't because he needs to go to a better team with better coaching for him to excel. 

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What that senior bowl showed was his performance with quality players around him that actually blocked on the line and caught balls. 

What a lot of the scouting reports don't say is how bad his offensive line was last year and they struggled to make a block. What they also don't say is when the QB would hit the receivers in the hands and they would drop the balls again and again. You know, like Zay Jones did this year.

When you have a QB who plays on a really bad team it's very difficult to properly evaluate his overall talent. The QB learns to not trust your receivers or the blocking. The simple fact was he was running for his life most of last year.

(...)

Before Bills fans declare him a bust because of a low completion percentage let's see how he does at the combine and his pro day.  I didn't like him at first either, then I started watching his games and realized just how bad that team was he played on in 2017. 

All of that is true, and yet it applies to so many other college QB as well - didn't someone say UCLA's WR were leading college football in drops or some such, Rosen would hit them in the hands and they'd drop it?  And White lost several players off his OL, I was told, which is why his "rush yards" turned big and negative this year (=sacks).

The Senior Bowl is a bit of an artificial environment because it's not allowed to blitz/pressure with more than 4, and as I understand it DB packages are limited.

I think that Allen may become a very good NFL QB, but in the 1st round, especially high in the 1st round, but teams have to judge a guy in part by the body of work he's actually produced in college.  And with a high 1st round pick IMO you really shouldn't say "yes but...." IMHO.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All of that is true, and yet it applies to so many other college QB as well - didn't someone say UCLA's WR were leading college football in drops or some such, Rosen would hit them in the hands and they'd drop it?  And White lost several players off his OL, I was told, which is why his "rush yards" turned big and negative this year (=sacks).

The Senior Bowl is a bit of an artificial environment because it's not allowed to blitz/pressure with more than 4, and as I understand it DB packages are limited.

I think that Allen may become a very good NFL QB, but in the 1st round, especially high in the 1st round, but teams have to judge a guy in part by the body of work he's actually produced in college.  And with a high 1st round pick IMO you really shouldn't say "yes but...." IMHO.

Can't you say "yes, but" about any qb honestly?   including all of the qb's in this draft?

48 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Can't you say "yes, but" about any qb honestly?   including all of the qb's in this draft?

That is the picture the draft pundits try to paint - I think Buffalo716 pointed out scouts always try to find "cons".  But if you look carefully under the hood, some guys "cons" are better than other guys "pros". 

IOW, yes, all the QB have flaws but some are things you can (and do) further investigate while others are "watch outs" correlated historically to lack of success as an NFL QB

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The main problem with Leaf was an unwillingness to work. Leaf missed his interview with the Colts. He was wildly arrogant and had substance abuse problems, serious ones.

These two are not twins from different mothers. Not even close.

I'm not a big Allen fan at all, but Ryan Leaf? Nah.

I meant his overall appearance, big kid, athletic ability, powerful arm... He's obviously NOT the same person.

If following the offseason closely every year has taught me anything, it's that the pre-draft experts are always right. Their player evals, their mocks...spot on every time. Because of that, I get upset when they share things I don't agree with because I know their projections are gospel. Someday, I hope to maybe have a crumb of their wisdom in trying to form coherent thoughts on my own.

Edited by ProcessTheTrust

out of all six potential first round QB, Josh Allen scares me the most.  I have read from several sources that he has all the skills but he doesn't have the mental attributes. The more players on the field the more reluctant he seems to be. I'd rather stay put and take Lamar Jackson than trade away the farm to get Allen.  If they make a big move up, it better be for for Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen. 

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

love how Mayock does a top 5 but convenient has 5th place ties when the position is extra deep. 

The best part of Wyoming in 2017 was their defensive coaching staff. Not to mention that they didn't have much in offensive weapons in Wyoming. 

What you have in the NFL is scouts saying our coaches can fix this kids weakness and if he goes to the Browns I have doubts this kid will ever better Ryan Mallett. The NY Giants have new HC Pat Shurmur who could elevate this kid into another Wentz. Buffalo just hired an excellent OC in Brian Daboll and could do the same as Shurmur.

Allen is more raw then Darnold or Rosen and needs more development but he also has a much higher ceiling and a real big-time arm. 

23 hours ago, PIZ said:

23 hours ago, holmz56 said:

Todays paper said Rosen

You do realize this is not the Bills stating their interest as fact?  It's writers speculating. 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, Buddo said:

Okay. So we have now had 2 of the 4 or 5 top QB prospects linked to us. At the rate of about one every week, we should have 4 covered by FA. ;)

Actually, previous articles said we love Darnold.  Then it was Rosen.  Then it was Allen.  And another article today said it was Mason at 21.  

The only QB's in the top 5 or 6 guys not linked to the Bills yet, Baker and Lamar.  Which could also mean those are the guys they like lmao.  

Bottom line, nothing anyone reads in the news has any authenticity to it.  Beane is not leaking our draft plans or strategy to the media, and anything that does get leaked is likely more of a decoy than anything.  

Allen's comp. % and accuracy issues scare the crap out of me. But man, what a highlight reel this kid has!    lol

Seriously though, I do get why NFL execs would like him. He has all the measurables you'd want in a QB and seems to have the intangibles as well. Plays the game tough, too. 

But I just don't know if his accuracy issues are fixable. I guarantee there will be GMs who think so, and I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't go in the 1st (I think the 2nd would be a much more appropriate draft spot for him). I'm not sure he will even make it past the Jets at #6 (depending on what QBs are left on the board). 

As I said in another thread, I'm not sure the Bills would be the best place for him. I think he needs to sit a couple years and work on his flaws/break bad habits before they become too ingrained (if they're not already...). Im not sure he'd get that time here. I worry it's harder to solve those issues if he starting. Lots of QBs go back to their old bad habits when the pressure is on them in an NFL game. I think Allen would probably benefit most from having time to make those new habits muscle memory before having to start. 

Boy though, if they were able to develop this kid and fix those accuracy issues we'd be set! Like I said in another thread, this would really be a big swing for the fences. 

Theyd have to have a very good plan in place if they drafted Allen.