Now they like Josh Allen in Trade Up?

PIZ

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except Allen doesn't seem to be a headcase like Leaf.

Allen has a heck of a ceiling, and looks like the most physically gifted guy in the draft.

He also needs a ton of work.

Will the fan-base be okay with drafting a guy who needs 1-2 years on the bench?

1 year maybe, 2 years absolutely not. With rare exceptions in this day and age, those  type of projects are best served no earlier than day 3 of the draft.

Oh man..I like Allen the LEAST of all of these QBs...accuracy issues are the hardest things to fix in QBs, and he has major accuracy issues...

hopefully not another case of scouts and GMs falling in love with their arms and abilitiy to make "all the throws" while completely downplaying their deficiencies which are much harder to fix...

16 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except Allen doesn't seem to be a headcase like Leaf.

Allen has a heck of a ceiling, and looks like the most physically gifted guy in the draft.

He also needs a ton of work.

Will the fan-base be okay with drafting a guy who needs 1-2 years on the bench?

He reminds me of Paxton Lynch.  'Nuff said.

I see some people comparing him physically and athletically to Carson Wentz---except his completion percentage was over 8% lower, but I mean that's not important is it??

I don't want a great physical speciman who has "all the physical tools" but can't play QB very well...didn't we already draft 2 of those guys in the first round Losman and Manuel over the past 15 years?

Where do Gms and scouts come up with this fantasy that these guys will suddenly just"get it" and magically transform into Aaron Rodgers all of a sudden??  I mean who are they looking at that has done this coming out of college at 56% completion rate that has done this? Nobody would be my guess

Edited by matter2003

Just now, BillsFan2313 said:

If it happens and Allen is good. Stay away. I love when people who think they know football make these comments. 

You mean like the people who knew football that drafted Losman and Manuel that were here?

36 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

If it happens and Allen is good. Stay away. I love when people who think they know football make these comments. 

What are you, Allen’s Daddy? I hurt your feelings? If I stay away, it’ll be because of oh-so-serious posters like yourself. 

Lighten up, Francis. It’s called hyperbole. 

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Oh man..I like Allen the LEAST of all of these QBs...accuracy issues are the hardest things to fix in QBs, and he has major accuracy issues...

hopefully not another case of scouts and GMs falling in love with their arms and ability to make "all the throws" while completely downplaying their deficiencies which are much harder to fix...

He reminds me of Paxton Lynch.  'Nuff said.

I see some people comparing him physically and athletically to Carson Wentz---except his completion percentage was over 8% lower, but I mean that's not important is it??

I don't want a great physical specimen who has "all the physical tools" but can't play QB very well...didn't we already draft 2 of those guys in the first round Losman and Manuel over the past 15 years?

Where do Gms and scouts come up with this fantasy that these guys will suddenly just"get it" and magically transform into Aaron Rodgers all of a sudden??  I mean who are they looking at that has done this coming out of college at 56% completion rate that has done this? Nobody would be my guess

I have no idea where you guys get these bizarre QB comparisons from? As we get close to the combine and pro days we will see more factual scouting on all these QB's and we will all get a better understanding of their rankings.

Right now I see Allen as a top-four pick and perhaps even going #1 overall to Cleveland just from his play in the senior bowl as that play disproved a lot of the negative reports on him. Watch it!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I don't understand this spreadsheet since there are no column headings.  What does 48 over 4 mean? What are the last 2 columns?  Why is Tyrod's height and weight shown? What is the color coding?

48 starts over 4 years

TT measurables shown as comparison to prospects’

If Astro sees this (he is a poster here) he can explain the color coding

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

What are you, Allen’s Daddy? I hurt your feelings? If I stay away, it’ll be because of oh-so-serious posters like yourself. 

Lighten up, Francis. It’s called hyperbole. 

Not at all, you need to relax. Overreaction much? Hold on, hold on. I'm out. 

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I have no idea where you guys get these bizarre QB comparisons from? As we get close to the combine and pro days we will see more factual scouting on all these QB's and we will all get a better understanding of their rankings.

Right now I see Allen as a top-four pick and perhaps even going #1 overall to Cleveland just from his play in the senior bowl as that play disproved a lot of the negative reports on him. Watch it!

If you are basing your evaluation on the senior bowl instead of his actual play you are basically asking for a bust.

Who was the last great QB with a completion percentage under 57% in college?  Has there ever even been one?  You cannot simply look at what he "can do" and ignore fundamental flaws such as accuracy and completion percentage that will be even more exposed in the NFL than they were in college.

Edited by matter2003

They should like Josh Allen, big arm, decent feet, NFL frame, better mechanics and will probably need time behind a veteran for at least a season but you'll hear the Bills linked to every top QB. It is interesting though on that chart that the Bills scouted everyone but Josh Allen, maybe they've been doing a bunch of homework on him to not tip their hand? We shall see in April.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If you are basing your evaluation on the senior bowl instead of his actual play you are basically asking for a bust.

Who was the last great QB with a completion percentage under 57% in college?  Has there ever even been one?  You cannot simply look at what he "can do" and ignore fundamental flaws such as accuracy and completion percentage that will be even more exposed in the NFL than they were in college.

What that senior bowl showed was his performance with quality players around him that actually blocked on the line and caught balls. 

What a lot of the scouting reports don't say is how bad his offensive line was last year and they struggled to make a block. What they also don't say is when the QB would hit the receivers in the hands and they would drop the balls again and again. You know, like Zay Jones did this year.

When you have a QB who plays on a really bad team it's very difficult to properly evaluate his overall talent. The QB learns to not trust your receivers or the blocking. The simple fact was he was running for his life most of last year.

Think back to 2010 Ryan Fitzpatrick's was literally running for his life the first five games and they lost the first eight games while finishing the season 4-12 Partway through that season Bills GM Buddy Nix pulled Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik off the waiver wire and they came in and improved that O line a great deal. That was the year that Nix signed Cornell green to a three year, 9 mill dollar contract in the offseason to play RT and he lasted a who six games in 2010 before cutting him outright. At least Nix was able to fix the line during the season. 

Then Fitz had WR Stevie Johnson who caught about 58.2% of the balls thrown to him that year. That's 141 targets, 82 receptions! 

Just saying, we Bills fans have a first-hand knowledge of what it's like to see a QB play on a really bad team.

Before Bills fans declare him a bust because of a low completion percentage let's see how he does at the combine and his pro day.  I didn't like him at first either, then I started watching his games and realized just how bad that team was he played on in 2017. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buddo said:

Okay. So we have now had 2 of the 4 or 5 top QB prospects linked to us. At the rate of about one every week, we should have 4 covered by FA. ;)

IMHO, they "like" him isn't linking us.

12 hours ago, #34fan said:

Eeeeeee.... Josh Allen reminds me SO MUCH of Ryan Leaf... 

The main problem with Leaf was an unwillingness to work. Leaf missed his interview with the Colts. He was wildly arrogant and had substance abuse problems, serious ones.

These two are not twins from different mothers. Not even close.

I'm not a big Allen fan at all, but Ryan Leaf? Nah.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

People still believe everything they read before the draft?  ??‍♂️ 

Nope. People don't believe everything they read.

They believe the stuff that they already thought when it's confirmed. The people who don't like the idea shout "smokescreen," which translated means, "I don't like him."