Bills Salary cap discussions

MAJBobby

We've identified players from each NFL team who may be trending toward the 2018 roster bubble, based on performance vs. compensation & dead cap structure. The list below shows the individual financial implications to trade or release each player based on various bonus dates some may have. We'll continue to update this list as new reports emerge. Did we miss someone?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

And Overdorf still employeed right????  Just checking 

Overdorf has nothing to do with the players who are no longer here because they no longer fit the scheme of the new regime. I'm also pretty sure any major salaries handed out were given a seal of approval from Whaley and the Pegulas.

Keep swapping out Head Coaches and GM and this is the end result. The only ones to blame for this dead cap mess are th ePegulas and their asssanine hiring of Rex Ryan, and then allowuing Whaley to re-rearrange th eroster fo Rex only to see us re re re arraging the roster for Beane and McD.

Bottom line is we need ot stick with Beane and McD for 5 years minimum no matter what or at least learn how ot hire a GM coach that fits the exitsting talent pool instead of scrapping a roster every 2 - 3 years...

Edited by ddaryl

On 2/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

If they trade up and take a qb in round one they can start free agency with around 45 million by cutting Glenn, taylor and wood.  Personally I would not be in a rush to cut glenn ,

Granted they should spend 5-7 on somekind of vet qb weather it be Derek Anderson , Matt Moore , ect.   That would leave around 40 million to buy some players

Corner, linebacker , D tackle would be my personal choice..  Then hit the draft and lets see what happens.

With wood gone I can not see them cutting Richie and If Kyle doesn't comeback I think Alexander stays, Although in  a different role.  Special teams and pass rusher playing in conjunction with Lawson 

Is this intentionally out of order?  FA is well in advance of the draft so I'm not sure how you would trade up, take a QB, and THEN start FA.  

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Overdorf has nothing to do with the players who are no longer here because they no longer fit the scheme of the new regime. I'm also pretty sure any major salaries handed out were given a seal of approval from Whaley and the Pegulas.

Keep swapping out Head Coaches and GM and this is the end result. The only ones to blame for this dead cap mess are th ePegulas and their asssanine hiring of Rex Ryan, and then allowuing Whaley to re-rearrange th eroster fo Rex only to see us re re re arraging the roster for Beane and McD.

Bottom line is we need ot stick with Beane and McD for 5 years minimum no matter what or at least learn how ot hire a GM coach that fits the exitsting talent pool instead of scrapping a roster every 2 - 3 years...

Who wrote, structured and negotiated those contracts?

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tyrod Taylor, quarterback
Cordy Glenn, offensive tackle

Richie Incognito, guard
Lorenzo Alexander, linebacker
John Miller, guard
Jerry Hughes, defensive end
Colton Schmidt, punter

Salary cap or not Schmidt needs to go.  Lost the season for us in Jax with awful punting.  

Edited by Badthingsman

On 2/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, Misterbluesky said:

Dumping Richie would be absolutely assinine.

I am not putting this on the OP, this is just a general comment:

Why in the world do we see multiple speculations of this guying being cut loose when he is arguably one of the best guards in all of football the last three years and has easily performed to the level of his contract, which is going into its last year anyways?  

Maybe trade him?

For what?  We're going to be happy with a 4th rounder for a three straight year pro-bowl player?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It certainly is crazy to think that this team is 33-31 (plus 1 playoff loss) since 2014 kickoff in Chicago.

If you only read the stats of this team, including roster moves, and weren't shown the record you would swear you were looking at information from a 20-44 team, at best.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2018 at 2:10 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

It certainly is crazy to think that this team is 33-31 (plus 1 playoff loss) since 2014 kickoff in Chicago.

If you only read the stats of this team, including roster moves, and weren't shown the record you would swear you were looking at information from a 20-44 team, at best.

Since 2014 the Panthers, Cowboys, Ravens and Chiefs all have winning record. The Saints are just under .500 in that time span. So it isn' like dead cap necessarily means you are a losing team. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Since 2014 the Panthers, Cowboys, Ravens and Chiefs all have winning record. The Saints are just under .500 in that time span. So it isn' like dead cap necessarily means you are a losing team. 

Not a direct correlation, but it does say something about a team's ability to manage their finances efficiently. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not a direct correlation, but it does say something about a team's ability to manage their finances efficiently. 

It is also circumstances. If you are a bad team or a less desirable market you might have to hand out big money to be more competitive. Also it could be a sign of a rebuild, if a team has a lot of older bloated contracts they might have to eat a lot of dead money to get out from under that. I think there are a few factors at play. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

It is also circumstances. If you are a bad team or a less desirable market you might have to hand out big money to be more competitive. Also it could be a sign of a rebuild, if a team has a lot of older bloated contracts they might have to eat a lot of dead money to get out from under that. I think there are a few factors at play. 

No doubt. Different scenarios to explain high dead cap numbers. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No doubt. Different scenarios to explain high dead cap numbers. 

I think the Bills obviously inflated it with trading Dareus and the Eric Wood extension. I would also think that the Mario cut added a nice chunk to that number. I can't think of what other major cuts or trades would have added so much to the Bills dead cap since 2014. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the Bills obviously inflated it with trading Dareus and the Eric Wood extension. I would also think that the Mario cut added a nice chunk to that number. I can't think of what other major cuts or trades would have added so much to the Bills dead cap since 2014. 

'19 is when things begin to look much better.  A younger roster gives them a window to make things much more manageable from a cap perspective for at least a few years.