Is Bradon Beane Playing The Compensatory Draft Pick Game?

BuffaloRush

8 hours ago, Logic said:

We may have radically different politics, but it doesn't mean we can't share football opinions!

Meh. Agree to disagree, then.

You can only play who they put on your schedule. To that end, the only "lucky" thing that happened to the Bills was the Ravens losing. As for the Bills themselves, they beat who they needed to beat, when they needed to beat them. A big reason they got into the playoffs was their AFC win-loss record. Beating the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, Jets, Dolphins x2. Winning in Arrowhead isn't easy. Neither is winning in Atlanta. The Colts snowstorm game was no gimme, either. To whomever discounts that win just because the Colts stink, I think you're wrong. Weather like that evens the playing field, and the Bills played most of the game with their third string quarterback. As for the Falcons WR injuries...so what? How many of the Bills' losses over the years were discounted just because they had key players injured? How many games during the drought did the Bills play teams with injured stars and STILL lose?

The bottom line is that the Bills did what they needed to do in the AFC, won some tough games, overcame a dreadful mid-season stretch of bad football, rebounded, won their must-win week 17 game (never a gimme when it comes to the Bills!) and made the playoffs. I can't point to too many wins on their schedule that were lucky or flukey. They earned the wins they got. They won games that most if not all of the Bills teams of the drought era would lose. And a BIG reason they were able to do all this was their mindset, their preparation and, in short, the influence of their head coach. There's no other way to reasonably explain a roster like the Bills had making the playoffs. I didn't view many of our wins as lucky or flukey, either. They earned them.

You say luck. I say metal toughness and earned victories. Agree to disagree.

Fair enough to agree to disagree.

And of course it's right that you can only play who they put on your schedule. But that doesn't mean that the schedule doesn't make your record more impressive if it's difficult or less impressive if it's easy.

And this was easy.

And while Arrowhead is a tough place to play, sometimes it's tougher than others. We caught the Chiefs in the middle of a four-game skid. The week before, the Giants beat them. The Giants!!! And the week after, the Jets beat them. The freaking Jets! The Chiefs won five in a row to start, lost six of seven and then finished with four wins. We caught them right in the middle of a part of their season when they were playing very poorly indeed.

Yes, they did what they needed to do. Luckily for them, this year they didn't need to do much. Every good team they played was in a funk.

Again, if you have to keep boasting about beating the Colts, you've obviously got a very difficult argument to make. They were 4-12. And again, Atlanta was in the doldrums and had their best player go down in the game along with a bunch of others who either went out or were out before the game. 

And again, I like McDermott and think he did a good job. But he also got very lucky with how things fell this year. Our opponents cumulative record was well below .500 and we caught the good teams at their lowest ebb.

Fine, agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

The first year of a new regime is not the time to be worrying about compensatory picks.

Agreed. The Patriots, for instance, shouldn't have been worrying about comp picks in Belichick's first year, when they got Brady as a comp pick. And the year after, the year when Belichick's maneuverings resulted in the 2001 comp picks, how did they do? They had three comp picks, a 5th, a 6th and a 7th. He worried about it. So should we.

You worry about comp picks every year. Every single year. Occasionally something may trump them. But generally they're important for the most obvious of reasons, because extra draft picks increase your chances of being able to pick more people, improve your chances of bringing in guys who will help at a tremendous price.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/18/2018 at 9:22 AM, Estro said:

I don't happen to think Patrick DiMarco, Vlad Ducasse, or Ryan Davis were worth forgoing the 2 mid round picks, do you?  You think those 3 were what put the Bills over the top?  You think the Bills could've signed comparable talent had they waited post June 1 or signed players that were cut or were those 3 UFAs must haves?

Think through your arguments before posting uninformed sarcastic stupidity.

If you don't think 3rd and 5th round picks are extremely valuable assets you're a dumber fan than most.

He is 10 times the poster you will ever be.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/18/2018 at 12:41 PM, Logic said:

Like their starting RG? Their kicker who won them multiple games? 

I think people underestimate the importance of some of the guys we would've needed to cut to the outcome of our season.

Ryan Davis and ducasse we’re replaceable and full backs are useless.

Edited by BakersBills

On 2/18/2018 at 12:21 AM, Logic said:

Yeah. McDermott totally botched it last year by coaching the Bills to the playoffs for the first time since 1999! What a loser! I'd so much rather have 101st pick in this coming draft!

Yeah, vlad ducasse, dimarco, and Holmes totally put us over the hump. Those were the guys we were missing for the last 17 years.

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Yeah, vlad ducasse, dimarco, and Holmes totally put us over the hump. Those were the guys we were missing for the last 17 years.

Sorry, but just cutting those three wasn't gonna do the trick, if I recall. Wasn't it going to take more than that?

And yeah, whether you like Ducasse or not, he WAS our starting RG for pretty much the whole year. Cutting starters when you're in the playoff hunt just to get a compensatory third round pick? Nonsense.

Why do we even care about compensatory picks?  In the last 20 years, the Bills have had 65 draft picks between 100 and 200 overall.  60 of them have had minimal to no impact on the team.  The only players that I note that have done much of anything are Nigel Bradham, Kyle Williams, Terrence McGee, Sammy Morris, and Keith Newman.  Only Kyle Williams stands out as being anything other than a postional fill-in.  The guys they did go out and get in free agency versus the guys that they could have gotten later to preserve compensatory picks seems almost irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Why do we even care about compensatory picks?  In the last 20 years, the Bills have had 65 draft picks between 100 and 200 overall.  60 of them have had minimal to no impact on the team.  The only players that I note that have done much of anything are Nigel Bradham, Kyle Williams, Terrence McGee, Sammy Morris, and Keith Newman.  Only Kyle Williams stands out as being anything other than a postional fill-in.  The guys they did go out and get in free agency versus the guys that they could have gotten later to preserve compensatory picks seems almost irrelevant.

A lot of the years the draft is not deep to matter that far down.  This year is an exception to that.  A good GM can project out a year to know if a FA is a better choice versus a comp pick down at the 100 slot.

43 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A lot of the years the draft is not deep to matter that far down.  This year is an exception to that.  A good GM can project out a year to know if a FA is a better choice versus a comp pick down at the 100 slot.

I disagree 100%.  Find me a team that consistently is pulling starting caliber players in the 100-200 pick range.  You won't because those teams do not exist.  Compensatory draft picks are highly likely to be below average NFL players, if they don't wash out in a year or two.  There's absolutely nothing special about this draft that differentiates it from any of the last 20, other than the fact that people are talking about six different QB's instead of one or two.

Imo this helps out the established teams.  For a team still building you are not going to get ahead of anyone just letting good players walk for mid round picks.  If you are the Patriots or Steelers sure.  They are pretty up against the cap so if a players leaves they can get a return on that.  Imo you are better selling a year early if you expect  the player to leave.  You can get an immediate asset for your current year draft and at a higher round in most cases than the actual compensatory pick would have been.  Chandler jones, Jamie Collins, and Watkins are all trades doing this.