The Curse of Oak Island TV Show

Fadingpain

Just did a search for this and couldn't find a thread on it, so I started this.

Anyone else watching this?  I read "The Money Pit" many years ago and found the story fascinating.  I catch the show now and again, usually by mistake, and will usually watch.

They pull up a piece of bone or wood or cloth but nothing ever leads to anything of substance.

These guys must be sinking a fortune into that little island!  I don't think they'll find anything.

What do others think?

36 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Anyone else watching this?  I read "The Money Pit" many years ago and found the story fascinating.  I catch the show now and again, usually by mistake, and will usually watch.

They pull up a piece of bone or wood or cloth but nothing ever leads to anything of substance.

These guys must be sinking a fortune into that little island!  I don't think they'll find anything.

What do others think?

I read books on it as a kid and have always been fascinated. I also majored in history so it's like my passion outside football 

They think they found the original money pit and are doing excavations now...

must cost a fortune

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

As long as someone is funding them they’ll keep at it.   

Dig a hole find nothing, dig and repeat.  

Yum Foods,the top commercial giant is flipping the bill ...KFC,Taco Bell,mc'd's,pizza hut...they made far more than 2 million in sales because of their 30 second ads,.isn't that the worth of the gold treasure they are "looking" for?

15 minutes ago, thebug said:

Yeah they always find “just enough” to continue the search. I think they plant stuff to make it look good. A fortune has been sunk into this for sure. 

Yeah just enough to keep you wanting to come back next week to see if they found something else

I loved last weeks episode.  There was no excavations and had nothing to do with what they're doing on the island.  It was all their theory on the Knights Templar.  And what made me laugh was all the stock footage they used was from another History Channel show, Knightfall :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Yeah just enough to keep you wanting to come back next week to see if they found something else

I loved last weeks episode.  There was no excavations and had nothing to do with what they're doing on the island.  It was all their theory on the Knights Templar.  And what made me laugh was all the stock footage they used was from another History Channel show, Knightfall :lol:

I watch history when I turn in TV and I noticed that The knightfall show and Oak Island were using the same footage and referencing each other lol

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I watch history when I turn in TV and I noticed that The knightfall show and Oak Island were using the same footage and referencing each other lol

Oak Island is produced by the same company as Ancient Aliens, narrated by the same guy, and have some of the same "Experts" on the show

The two brothers on the show started out funding this thing on their own; the younger one (I think it is) owns his own drilling company or some such and I guess is fairly wealthy.  His brother is a retired postal worker.

Now that it has been turned into a TV show, I doubt the brothers are paying a dime, but there is still a lot of money going into those holes.  

PS:  I find the brothers' Canadian accents interesting, seeing as they are from Michigan.

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The two brothers on the show started out funding this thing on their own; the younger one (I think it is) owns his own drilling company or some such and I guess is fairly wealthy.  His brother is a retired postal worker.

Now that it has been turned into a TV show, I doubt the brothers are paying a dime, but there is still a lot of money going into those holes.  

PS:  I find the brothers' Canadian accents interesting, seeing as they are from Michigan.

Eh, that's how it goes don't ya know...

they actually might be from the UP though

Edited by Buffalo716

I just retired, so I finally have the time to watch stuff like this.

I think it is a pretty cool treasure hunt. The payoff is potentially huge (not just $2 million, as someone posted). If it turns out to be the holy grail and similar artifacts, it would be historic.

4 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

I just retired, so I finally have the time to watch stuff like this.

I think it is a pretty cool treasure hunt. The payoff is potentially huge (not just $2 million, as someone posted). If it turns out to be the holy grail and similar artifacts, it would be historic.

Doubt the Holy Grail (if one ever existed at all) is buried in a pit on a small island in Nova Scotia, but you never know.

I agree that their findings, if any, are likely to have more historical value than monetary value.

It would be interesting to discover a historical link between medieval Europe and Nova Scotia.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:37 PM, Fadingpain said:

What do others think?

There was something there but I feel it's gone now.

They are looking for civil war good in Lake Michigan next.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:17 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

As long as someone is funding them they’ll keep at it.   

Dig a hole find nothing, dig and repeat.  

Their millions.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, Buffalo716 said:

All About The Benjamin$$$

On 2/17/2018 at 7:09 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Haven't seen this guy yet :P 

IMG_0361.PNG

You'd think this clown would have a better hairstyle if he wanted to be taken seriously.

22 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Youppers

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Doubt the Holy Grail (if one ever existed at all) is buried in a pit on a small island in Nova Scotia, but you never know.

I agree that their findings, if any, are likely to have more historical value than monetary value.

It would be interesting to discover a historical link between medieval Europe and Nova Scotia.

Their was a cup Jesus drank from but there is no holy grail.

i've been watching the show for sometime now, i don't think they are going to find anything (apart from enough minor tantalizing evidence to keep people tuning back in).

i think if there ever was anything there of value ( a big IF), it was already discovered and removed but just not documented, by previous searchers.

in terms of funding, i've been saying for years the brothers may have started using their own funds, but the vast majority has been underwritten by History channel in the last few seasons. (my opinion)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wnysteel said:

i don't think they are going to find anything (apart from enough minor tantalizing evidence to keep people tuning back in).

i think if there ever was anything there of value ( a big IF), it was already discovered and removed but just not documented, by previous searchers.

in terms of funding, i've been saying for years the brothers may have started using their own funds, but the vast majority has been underwritten by History channel in the last few seasons. (my opinion)

Pretty much my opinion as well

6 hours ago, wnysteel said:

i've been watching the show for sometime now, i don't think they are going to find anything (apart from enough minor tantalizing evidence to keep people tuning back in).

I'm not sure that anything of value has already been removed, unless you mean going way back to the origins of the discovery of the money pit in the 1700s.

The couple of guys who made the island their life's work throughout the 20th century certainly never found the big reward.

Also, a number of discoveries have been claimed lately, like finding parchment paper 160 feet (I think) below the earth, bone fragments, and this mysterious lead "cross" which may or may not be a cross.

The guy with the Aussie accent finds more interesting stuff in swampy areas with his metal detector than the drillers find in these deep pits.  How do we know these objects are actually found?  They could totally be props meant to steer the show along a path of "entertainment" and I'm not sure why that would be any less legitimate than an episode of fiction meant as entertainment as well.

Like the lead cross thing.  Really?  They found that on an island in Nova Scotia? And it really dates to the 12th or 13th century?  And may have a connection to the Knights Templar?  Or did they get someone to cast it by hand a month ago?  Who would know, and what would the penalty be for discovering this? I'm guessing not much, other than maybe losing their audience.  I don't see any legal sanctions.

Edited by Fadingpain

Love the show however I will admit it’s basically a giant jerk off. They will never find anything of substance. Their riches and fame are created by sucking all of us in and keeping us watching. 

Imo, I like Hunting Hitler much more than Oak Island. The amount of information for Hitler escaping Germany is amazing. And while I also believe they will never find factual evidence that he did flee instead of committing suicide, I do believe he did. 

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Like the lead cross thing.  Really?  They found that on an island in Nova Scotia? And it really dates to the 12th or 13th century?  And may have a connection to the Knights Templar?  Or did they get someone to cast it by hand a month ago?  Who would know, and what would the penalty be for discovering this? I'm guessing not much, other than maybe losing their audience.  I don't see any legal sanctions.

It belongs in a museum!!!

• Haha (+1) 1