Rumor: Tops Markets to declare bankruptcy

\GoBillsInDallas/

Just now, /dev/null said:

That would just result in the closing of a bunch of current Tops stores

Much of Tops' market overlaps with Wegmans and the cost of bringing the existing Tops' locations up to Wegmans standard may not be worth it.

All we have is Tops so that would give us Wegmans . Now trade our Kmart for Walmart, SaveALot for Aldis,  BK for 5guys, McD's for Arbys and bring in KFC/TB and we would be all set.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

All we have is Tops so that would give us Wegmans . Now trade our Kmart for Walmart, SaveALot for Aldis,  BK for 5guys, McD's for Arbys and bring in KFC/TB and we would be all set.

Well damn, can't argue with that logic.  Things must be really bad when opening KFC/Taco Bell is considered an upgrade

Just now, /dev/null said:

well best of luck in your quest of the Colonel.  Maybe one day you'll even land yourselves a Sonic

Lol, we aren't big enough for a sonic :lol:. We have a ok Diner, Steakhouse and Italian restaurant but nothing special, 3 crappy  Chinese places, no mex , no chicken.

Mommas Smokin BBQ , down in Shongo, is pretty good and their smoked brisket Philly is awesome!

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep, biggest "city" in Allegany county.

Olean?

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Aldis is awesome, Never heafd of Price Chopper.

Price Chopper is based out of the Albany area. Syracuse might be the farthest west they go. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It closed down June 2016, which really made me mad because they had killer brownies and a create your own pizza to which I had pepperoni, hamburger, chicken and bacon.

:angry:

We’ve had three that I know of close up in the last six months, including the one closest to me. There may be others I don’t know about. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, /dev/null said:

well best of luck in your quest of the Colonel.  Maybe one day you'll even land yourselves a Sonic

Even Chautauqua County, which is much bigger population wise than Allegany County and two actual cities in Jamestown and Dunkirk, can't boast a Sonic ...

6 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Olean?

Olean is in Cattaraugus County. 

13 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I would have thought tops went under years ago. There used to be a few die hard tops fans back in Rochester when I grew up; never understood the allure of that dump.

i'm shocked that they didn't either.  i don't hate tops, but it just can't compete with wegmans.  our wegmans is the perinton wegmans, and there's a tops in the plaza over.  if i need something quick like beer or cleaning supplies, i'll run into the tops.  i just can't stand going into wegmans during the peak hours.  it gives me white guy rage.

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That perinton one was my wegman’s growing up too. The die hard Tops fans seemed to be the folks that lived in the village of fairport (ther used to be a tops in the plaza next to the library— not sure if it is still there) and I think might have viewed tops as a “community” market. But it wasn’t. It was a crappy grocery store.

by the way, you ever remember the grocery store called Apple’s? They had one for a short time in the plaza over from the perinton wegman’s.  

i want to say it do, but was there more than one in the area? i grew up in webster, and we just moved to perinton 2 years ago, so i'm still a rookie to the area.  i'll tell you what though...we love the village of fairport.  last summer we would park by the library, eat dinner somewhere, then visit the bars in the area.  i never knew what the village was like years ago, but everyone says it's been upgraded in a massive way.

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The village was great as a kid. I have a ton of fond memories of it. When I went back for a HS reunion a few years ago, it was clear there had been an improvement (some better restaurants and bars on the canal)— but it was always great, in my view. 

Where are you at? I grew up right around fairport high school. Fairport is a great town.

we love fairport too.  there's no better village area, (pittsford is great too, but i just prefer fairport).  The restaurants are very nice for a suburban setting.

we just moved to the top of turk hill, right across from casa larga.  there's a lilac stand with a road next to it we found.  love the street...big lots, nice people, etc.

13 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Nice! I think my prom was at Casa Larga! We had family friends who built a house in that neighborhood, way back when it was a new neighborhood.

We go there all the time for their patio parties.  what was your family friend's name, (you don't have to say if you don't want).  we actually bought the first build house on the street.  her dad owned the property on the street, as well as the tops plaza and the apartments across the street.  there's a lot of turnover on the street now, and younger families are moving in.  we love the area.