Benjamin Allbright - Bills Calling Around Looking for A Top 10 Pick

sven233

7 hours ago, eball said:

In other hot NFL news, it has been reported that the Buffalo Bills are doing a lot of research heading into free agency and the draft.  Almost like they are preparing or something.

Smoke and mirrors, E, smoke and mirrors. Don't fall for it. 

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If you advocate trading both of our 1st round picks AND next years pick to trade up it will be a while before they can try again certainly not next year.

But you won't be trying next year.  Heck, the guy may not even play until next year.  By the time you know if you have your guy or not, you will have a full bank of picks again.

8 hours ago, Buddo said:

If the Bills were in that same position, I would be telling the GM to get a QB, if I was the Owner, and I rather suspect that Mara will be doing the same.

Truth be told, if you are picking in the top 2, and there are 2 top QB prospects, you probably should be taking one of them regardless. 

I am sure Chargers GM said same thing when they drafted Ryan Leaf.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure Chargers GM said same thing when they drafted Ryan Leaf.

Maybe. And probably the Colts GM, Polian, said the same thing too as he picked Peyton Manning.

This is a rich QB draft.

You're right that they might make a mistake. They've got to try to figure out who the best guy/guys are and get a genuinely good one. You get a guy at a position that is rich in that draft when you have the ability to trade up. Which is now.

But I might feel differently if I had Eli Manning on this team and felt I could get another two or three years and a shot or two at a Lombardi out of him.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/17/2018 at 4:15 PM, BrooklynBills said:

This would be a setup to get to #2 IMO.

Something like 21, 53, Shaq Lawson to CHI for 8.

Then 8, 22, Glenn, 19 2nd for 2

I wouldnt doubt Beane has already talked to Gettleman and was told get a top 10 pick and we have the framework for a deal

It’s going to take more to go from #21 to #8 I think

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If the Bills trade up for Josh Allen, the countdown to the next regime begins immediately. That is pretty much the only move they could make that would guarantee to me they aren't the answer.

Unless of course Allen ends up being good. 

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I'd find it hard to believe if the bills are really trying that hard to get into the top 10 already. I know beane is the gm, but with McDermott being incredibly thorough about everything, I'd be surprised if they 100% had their guy before the combine or free agency even started. That woukd seem panicky to me and I don't see McDermott or beane being that way 

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I'd find it hard to believe if the bills are really trying that hard to get into the top 10 already. I know beane is the gm, but with McDermott being incredibly thorough about everything, I'd be surprised if they 100% had their guy before the combine or free agency even started. That woukd seem panicky to me and I don't see McDermott or beane being that way 

I don't see it that way.  They have had an entire year to scout all of these QBs.  I am sure that they have dissected all of them in great deal off film study, have information on them all from coaches and players and likely have seen them all play or practice live.  The combine interviews and team visits are important to get a feel for each player's personality and how they process information, but I strongly believe they already have good idea about those things as well - teams spend millions of $ on this and it all starts far far in advance of the Senior Bowl and Combine.

22 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Unless of course Allen ends up being good. 

I am with you - Allen could certainly turn out to be good.  His accuracy is a concern, but his supporting cast is a big mitigating factor.  His team was seriously undermanned against most competition.  That could certainly help to explain his lower completion % (or he could just not be accurate).

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Very good point.

But for the sake of argument say that the Giants do not pick a QB.

What are their thoughts of acquiring one next year.

If it is out of the draft they will need a lot more high picks to increase their odds.

So, if NYG don't pick a QB the smartest thing they could do is make sure they get another 1st round pick in 2019.

A lot of pundits saying give Eli at least another year.

What if they do and go 8-8 +/- 1 game and don't make the playoffs.

Now all they got is a mid level 1st round pick and a need for a QB.

What the Giants do this year is going to be very interesting!

I strongly disagree. The Giants need to make their decision, Eli for another two or three years or draft a QB.

If they do go with Eli, they need to spend every bit of draft and FA capital they have going for a championship in the time Eli is here. That would be my guess, personally, but I could easily see them going the other way and drafting a QB high instead and building for the future. They have got to either completely go for it in the short window Eli provides (and think of the disaster it was for them last year benching Eli), or build for the long-term with a new pick.

35 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The reports say Top 10, but don't get more specific on how high.

My guess is that our front office is either:

1)  Doing their homework, but won't make a move into the Top 10 until the clock is running and they are absolutely certain to get the guy they want.

2)  Looking to move into the Top 1-4 picks, if they are comfortable with landing whichever prospect is left when they pick.

3)  Putting out a smokescreen.

I seriously doubt the Bills will make a trade into picks #5 or later, more than 2 months before the draft even happens.  That would possibly be the stupidest move in the history of professional sports.  At that pick, they have no idea who would actually be sitting on the board.  They have no idea if another trade opportunity would present itself.  And they would be leaving the door open for another QB-needy team like Arizona to jump ahead of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I strongly disagree. The Giants need to make their decision, Eli for another two or three years or draft a QB.

If they do go with Eli, they need to spend every bit of draft and FA capital they have going for a championship in the time Eli is here. That would be my guess, personally, but I could easily see them going the other way and drafting a QB high instead and building for the future. They have got to either completely go for it in the short window Eli provides (and think of the disaster it was for them last year benching Eli), or build for the long-term with a new pick.

I can see what you are saying, but I also think that they could do both.  I think they could use the second pick to take a QB and then use the remaining picks to try to build for that run with Eli.  

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

They have got to either completely go for it in the short window Eli provides (and think of the disaster it was for them last year benching Eli), or build for the long-term with a new pick.

Make no mistake... the mishandling of the Eli situation in season is playing a part here.  I think they made such a mess of it the fan reaction was so bad they almost believe they need to give Eli another shot. I've watched a fair bit of Giants game tape in the past couple of weeks.  I challenge anyone to legitimately say that he was the biggest problem with that offense last year.  Atrocious line play, zero run game and their weapons getting injured (beyond a rookie TE who is really a WR) were all much bigger factors in the decline than Eli.  

That isn't to say I wouldn't go QB if I were them.  I would.  But I think they fact that they blamed a franchise legend so publicly for something that was clearly not his fault is now factoring into their future decision making.  

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I can see what you are saying, but I also think that they could do both.  I think they could use the second pick to take a QB and then use the remaining picks to try to build for that run with Eli.  

The problem with that is Eli was clear last year he'd rather leave than be constantly looking over his shoulder.  He has been the guy lurking in the corner of the room when Kurt Warner was the Quarterback.  He knows that in those circumstances franchises are looking for any excuse to pull the vet for their young guy because he was that young guy who got in despite not giving them "the best chance to win" immediately.  Eli has been through it from the other end and he is not going to allow himself to end up in the Kurt Warner position. He has sufficient capital with the fanbase and the Mara to get what he wants.  

As expected at this time of year, Allbright said the Bills are making due dilligence calls to see what teams are willing to trade out of the top ten.   He specifically mentioned the Colts as a team that would be amenable to trading out of the #3 spot.  This comes as no surprise and Allbright stated there will be multiple teams looking to get into that slot. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

As expected at this time of year, Allbright said the Bills are making due dilligence calls to see what teams are willing to trade out of the top ten.   He specifically mentioned the Colts as a team that would be amenable to trading out of the #3 spot.  This comes as no surprise and Allbright stated there will be multiple teams looking to get into that slot. 

I thought he mentioned that there are multiple teams that would be interested in trading back