Benjamin Allbright - Bills Calling Around Looking for A Top 10 Pick

sven233

Obviously.

I can't believe this is a surprise to anyone in any way. It's been written on the wall for months now.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Don't be an !@#$.

Plenty of members here believe the Bills will not draft a QB and will instead use our picks to build up team depth of quality, and many posters here want this to happen.

Information saying the Bills are working the phones to get into the top 10 is interesting and just another sign that they really are going to try and get one of the bigger named QBs in the draft.

Work on being not an !@#$.

Really?

On this message board?

Who?

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Do we know if Rosen will want to play for the Bills?  Seems like he had issues with the Browns.

This is a fair question to ask. The answer likely depends on Rosen’s motives for having an issue with potentially becoming a Brown. Was his statement based on a desire to play in New York? Or is it based on going to the Browns being a career ending curse?  The Browns franchise is a train wreck that isn’t close to fielding a winner.

We finally have a sense of stability, and are a playoff team. Looking at things from the standpoint of potential to win; Buffalo is finally a decent place to go. I don’t see why Rosen would have the same issue with Buffalo that he has with Cleveland. With that said, if Rosen is a prima donna, he may want to sit behind Eli while waiting to become the next big thing in NY. 

6 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

This would be a setup to get to #2 IMO.

Something like 21, 53, Shaq Lawson to CHI for 8.

Then 8, 22, Glenn, 19 2nd for 2

I wouldnt doubt Beane has already talked to Gettleman and was told get a top 10 pick and we have the framework for a deal

This is the way Philadelphia moved up to get Wentz, first trading up with Miami to get to pick number 8.

4 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Do we know if Rosen will want to play for the Bills?  Seems like he had issues with the Browns.

This is what Rosen actually said:

"I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team." 

Obviously this implies he doesn't want to go to the Browns, but the media really twisted this making him sound like a big jerk. With Buffalo coming off a playof berth and some newfound stability, I don't see why we would be an issue. 

5 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

....All this speculation is further ammo for the idea that the Bills should be all in on Kirk Cousins.  Sitting there at 21&22, having to speculate on A) that you can find a trading partner and B) that the guy you have identified will be there to trade up for, is a whole lot of uncertainty to be betting on come draft day.  All Cousins costs is money, and his contract will seem steep at first, but it will fall right in line with the leauge in short order.  He has proven to be able to produce with a sub par roster and broken O-line.  If I were the Bills, he would be option one, then use the draft capital to start building with others and their cheap contracts.  For what it's worth, I do think Cleveland is going to win the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes.  Again, all he costs is money.

I'm hoping that this is the Bills plan #1. Make a good run at Cousins when the tampering period opens March 12th. If they land him, perfect. Use the draft to build around him on both sides of the ball. If not, then go hard after one of their top QBs in the draft.

But even if that is the plan I just don't have much confidence that Cousins picks Buffalo. I think he'd be a great fit with McDermott. Both are all about "the process". From what I've read (about both), they seem to share a lot of similar traits and viewpoints. I think it'd be a good match. But I guess I have a hard time believing that he'd pick Buffalo over some place like Denver or Minnesota (if they decide to get involved), who are both recent Super Bowl contenders. 

I don't see Cleveland happening either because I dont think its just all about money for Cousins. If it is, then I can see him picking Cleveland. But I think he wants to win and wants competent ownership + coaching and stability (in the coaching staff, front office etc). I think Cleveland will be a hard sell. I may be totally wrong and Cousins just caves to a ridiculous offer form them... I guess we will see in a little less than a month. I'll be anxiously watching! 

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen is the one 1st round QB prospect that I am probably most leery of. He seems like the biggest boom or bust QB, and his accuracy issues are what scare me the most.

But It'd be a heck of a swing for the fences type move by the Bills though, if they went into the top 10 for this guy. But I'm not sure we are the best place to try and develop this guy. 

Id rather the Jets just take him. He seems like a Maccagnan type QB. Reminds me a little bit of Hackenberg with his height (6'4" Hack, 6'5" Allen), their big arms, flashes of brilliance (less so with Hack) and accuracy issues. I'm not saying they are the same QB by any means. Just that he does shares some traits with Hackenberg and Mac fell in love and reached for him. I could totally see him taking Allen at #6.

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

Allen is the one 1st round QB prospect that I am probably most leery of. He seems like the biggest boom or bust QB, and his accuracy issues are what scare me the most.

But It'd be a heck of a swing for the fences type move by the Bills though, if they went into the top 10 for this guy. But I'm not sure we are the best place to try and develop this guy. 

Id rather the Jets just take him. He seems like a Maccagnan type QB. Reminds me a little bit of Hackenberg with his height (6'4" Hack, 6'5" Allen), their big arms, flashes of brilliance (less so with Hack) and accuracy issues. I'm not saying they are the same QB by any means. Just that he does shares some traits with Hackenberg and Mac fell in love and reached for him. I could totally see him taking Allen at #6.

I agree that out of the top 5 QBs, Allen is the one I am most leery of. Big arm, great athleticism, bad accuracy. Losman and Manuel all over again.

I personally want Mayfield, but would be happy with Darnold or Rosen as well. Allen, though? Yuck.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sven233 said:

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL

#Bills have been calling around, pursuing potential trade partners in the top ten of this year's draft. Presumably for a shot at a quarterback.

Been saying it from the start.....  WHATEVER IT TAKES. It's time for the everyone to stop accepting below average QB play and start expecting greatness.  Whatever it takes to get one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

If it works, that's awesome and we're set.  And you know what?  If it doesn't......there is a Draft every single year and we can try again.  But it's time for the organization to find the guy they want and take a swing.....

Love seeing this smoke, means there is action on the Bills part to finally getting a freaking QB!! Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sven233 said:

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL

#Bills have been calling around, pursuing potential trade partners in the top ten of this year's draft. Presumably for a shot at a quarterback.

Been saying it from the start.....  WHATEVER IT TAKES. It's time for the everyone to stop accepting below average QB play and start expecting greatness.  Whatever it takes to get one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

If it works, that's awesome and we're set.  And you know what?  If it doesn't......there is a Draft every single year and we can try again.  But it's time for the organization to find the guy they want and take a swing.....

If you advocate trading both of our 1st round picks AND next years pick to trade up it will be a while before they can try again certainly not next year.

9 hours ago, McBean said:

All signs are pointing towards Josh Rosen.

I believe we've identified him as the face of this franchise for the next 10+ years..

I don't deny his skill set but man those concussions are concerning . Plus he has injury history since high school.  I wouldn't trade up for damaged goods. 

8 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

21, 53, and Shaq Lawson will not get us to 8.  Maybe to 11 or 12.  With Barkely, Chubb, presumably 3 QB's in the top 5-6 teams sitting at 7-10 will know enough to charge more of a premium.  Lawson is maybe worth a late second pick as he cannot plug into any and every defensive scheme.

That's true but he is a great fit for CHI as they need a OLB opposite Floyd and that guy does not need to be a dynamic pass rusher because that guy will always be Floyd on that team. It allows them to get a starter on D and address other needs in the top 50.

Lawson could also fit in with Tampa.

Edited by BrooklynBills

10 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

....All this speculation is further ammo for the idea that the Bills should be all in on Kirk Cousins.  Sitting there at 21&22, having to speculate on A) that you can find a trading partner and B) that the guy you have identified will be there to trade up for, is a whole lot of uncertainty to be betting on come draft day.  All Cousins costs is money, and his contract will seem steep at first, but it will fall right in line with the leauge in short order.  He has proven to be able to produce with a sub par roster and broken O-line.  If I were the Bills, he would be option one, then use the draft capital to start building with others and their cheap contracts.  For what it's worth, I do think Cleveland is going to win the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes.  Again, all he costs is money.

Cousins said winning is the most important thing he's looking for.  Won't be the Browns if that's the case.  He will make a lot of money wherever he goes. 

13 hours ago, McBean said:

I'm just glad we finally have a FO and HC who realizes without a QB you aren't a consistent winner in this league.

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure previous regimes didn't know that at all. They hated good QB's, right?