Benjamin Allbright - Bills Calling Around Looking for A Top 10 Pick

sven233

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Every team does this. Doesn’t mean anything. 

Everyone does their homework to see all their options. They’ve also let people know they’d be willing to move back too. 

Most teams have deal parameters in place, so when the moment comes, things can come together quickly. 

...as the renowned Platters sang, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"....stay tuned.................

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, McBean said:

I'm just glad we finally have a FO and HC who realizes without a QB you aren't a consistent winner in this league.

I really don't think our current FO and HC have a much different view toward QBs than most FOs and HCs.  Everyone who works in the NFL knows it's a QB driven league.  It's no great insight.  

And it doesn't surprise me that the Bills are calling around.  It's called 'due diligence.'  The Bills want to have a sense of what it would cost to dance with prospective trade partners.

What we don't know is what price the Bills might be willing to pay for any of this year's quarterbacks.   Or whether the teams in the top 5 or 10 might be willing to trade down.  

Allbright's tweet effectively tells us nothing.   It'll be an interesting draft - one that's sure to sorely disappoint some fans.  

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...as the renowned Platters sang, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"....stay tuned.................

Indeed.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Don't be an !@#$.

Plenty of members here believe the Bills will not draft a QB and will instead use our picks to build up team depth of quality, and many posters here want this to happen.

Information saying the Bills are working the phones to get into the top 10 is interesting and just another sign that they really are going to try and get one of the bigger named QBs in the draft.

Work on being not an !@#$.

I go back to Beane's comments in the post-season PC when he said something like "we are definitely prepared (and/or willing) to do what it takes to get our guy" or something like that.

He had conviction in his voice and it just sounded like that is clearly their plan...give a lot away if necessary, move up, and get one of the named QBs.

Will be surprised if that does not pan out.

All this tweet was Ben looking for attention. He loves himself more than anyone I have ever seen. 

Every team calls around before FA starts.  This is not news. 

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This guy is a co-host on a Denver Radio Sports show.

He has already talked about Denver moving up to guarantee the 2nd best QB.

If Denver doesn't get a FA QB, Donkey fans will be livid if Elway lets other teams jump them for the 2nd best in the draft.

Just another fanboy thinking that he is putting heat on his hometown team by saying somebody else will get the jump.

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Every team does this. Doesn’t mean anything. 

Everyone does their homework to see all their options. They’ve also let people know they’d be willing to move back too. 

Most teams have deal parameters in place, so when the moment comes, things can come together quickly. 

Yep, fans are taking this unverifiable statement as proof positive that the Bills will break the bank to jump up into the top 5.  Further, that other QB needy teams are taking naps at Buddy Nix's house.  

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yes and Denver’s 1st and 2nd are worth more than the Bills’ 2 1sts.  It will take A LOT to get ahead of the Broncos and Jets if those teams want QBs.  I think it would be almost impossible if the Bills are in a bidding war with both of those reams.

I don't get involved in a lot of the "what ifs" but I can tell you the buzz about the Broncos.

Donkey fans are not happy with Elway (who they idolize) and his QB history.

Many think he lucked out getting Peyton.

They want a long term answer just like Bills fans and they mock the bad Denver QB Draft history of the last 20 years.

I don't blame them when you see it from their side.

2017 7 253 Chad Kelly QB Mississippi
2016 1 26 Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
2015 7 250 Trevor Siemian QB Northwestern
2013 7 234 Zac Dysert QB Miami (Ohio)
2012 2 57 Brock Osweiler QB Arizona State
2010 1 25 Tim Tebow QB Florida
2009 6 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State
2006 1 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2004 7 225 Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
2004 7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State
2000 7 214 Jarious Jackson QB Notre Dame
1998 3 91 Brian Griese QB Michigan

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Glad to hear they are looking into getting a top 10 pick. 

Not sure top 10 is good enough though. I think it may have to be a top 5, or even top 3 pick depending on what QB(s) they want. 

I really want one of the big 3 (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield). If we aren't getting one of those 3, I'm not sure I'd trade up for any of the others. Just my opinion.

I like 4 QB's from this draft in this order.

1. Darnold 

2. Rosen

3. Mayfield 

4. Luke Falk

My gut is telling me that after 2 years Luke Falk will be the better pro QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Just another fanboy thinking that he is putting heat on his hometown team by saying somebody else will get the jump.

It really is like Schoop and Bulldog tweeting.

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yep, fans are taking this unverifiable statement as proof positive that the Bills will break the bank to jump up into the top 5.  Further, that other QB needy teams are taking naps at Buddy Nix's house.  

To me, living in Colorado for many decades, this is news worthwhile for bills fans.

You guys got to realize that other teams (and their fans) have the same ideas we do.

I jokingly told some Bronco friends of mine that the Bills are going to jump to #2.

They got pissed and said Elway better not let that happen.

FWIW

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It really is like Schoop and Bulldog tweeting.

To me, living in Colorado for many decades, this is news worthwhile for bills fans.

You guys got to realize that other teams (and their fans) have the same ideas we do.

I jokingly told some Bronco friends of mine that the Bills are going to jump to #2.

They got pissed and said Elway better not let that happen.

FWIW

I would be very impressed if the Bills jumped to the #2 spot. I'm not against it but I just can't see it. So if it happens I would be kinda shocked honestly.

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I would be very impressed if the Bills jumped to the #2 spot. I'm not against it but I just can't see it. So if it happens I would be kinda shocked honestly.

I feel the same way.  Like I said, I said that to these guys while we were watching the Sabres Av's game a bit ago just to get a rise out of them.

LOL Boy did they bite!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL

#Bills have been calling around, pursuing potential trade partners in the top ten of this year's draft. Presumably for a shot at a quarterback.

Been saying it from the start.....  WHATEVER IT TAKES. It's time for the everyone to stop accepting below average QB play and start expecting greatness.  Whatever it takes to get one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

If it works, that's awesome and we're set.  And you know what?  If it doesn't......there is a Draft every single year and we can try again.  But it's time for the organization to find the guy they want and take a swing.....

The Bills & about 7 other teams. Just testing the waters.

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL

#Bills have been calling around, pursuing potential trade partners in the top ten of this year's draft. Presumably for a shot at a quarterback.

Been saying it from the start.....  WHATEVER IT TAKES. It's time for the everyone to stop accepting below average QB play and start expecting greatness.  Whatever it takes to get one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

If it works, that's awesome and we're set.  And you know what?  If it doesn't......there is a Draft every single year and we can try again.  But it's time for the organization to find the guy they want and take a swing.....

For Mayfield or Rosen and I'm in. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Bears at 8 might be a good option if we do not want to break the bank.

I think the two-tier approach the Eagles used to grab Wentz is what is surmised in a preliminary move to eight.  You could easily see a run on qb at the top of the draft and be left out if you think eight is high enough.

• Like (+1) 2

I want us to get to no worse than 3 probably #2. I've identified 3 QBs (as others have) who will be successes (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield). The other guys are more of the project type. These guys can get it done in the NFL.

Josh Rosen is my #1 target, I want the best passer in the draft.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1