Let's hope its not Rudolph

Estelle Getty

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the point is, the offense he is in essentially requires him to know where he's going with the ball pre-snap.  We don't know whether or not he can read the field, BECAUSE he has not been playing in a pro-style offense.  Note that this is also true of Mayfield and Darnold and Jackson. 

I disagree with you about his comfort in the pocket.  He hangs in there and moves around/takes the hit to make the play, more so than Mayfield at least.

That may or may not be a good thing, it's a thing thing.

What exactly is it you like about AJ McCarron that would lead you to spend the higher salary on him?

I'm aware of the games he has played and his stats in them.

He played in a pro style offense in college, he has won a championship, He has had 4 years to study under an above average NFL QB, and in the games he has played in he has looked the part.  Probably about 25% of first round QBs end up being qaulity starters, I fear the unknown. Atleast AJ has a bigger body of work to judge. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

He played in a pro style offense in college, he has won a championship, He has had 4 years to study under an above average NFL QB, and in the games he has played in he has looked the part.

Fair enough.  Yet with all that and some good stats, he fell to the 5th round.  Any reason why?

Not sure I'd give Dalton "above average" as an NFL QB, but McCarron has had 4 years to study.

In the games he has played McCarron did what a backup should do: he had a good completion percentage and didn't turn the ball over much.

But he also didn't pass for many yards.  That concerns me, especially as AJ Green and Sanu were in the game.  I'm not sure I'd give him "looked the part".

44 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Probably about 25% of first round QBs end up being qaulity starters, I fear the unknown. Atleast AJ has a bigger body of work to judge. 

Depends upon where in the first round.  At the bottom, it's kind of dismal - maybe 10%.  In the top 2/3, more like 30%.

To me, signing McCarron would be more of the same kind of thing the Bills have been trying to do for years  with Brohm/Fitzpatrick/Taylor etc - snag a "sleeper" hidden gem out of another team's backups or scrap pile.  So I would prefer us to take a chance.

I would be OK with the sign FA AND draft a QB route you proposed, and Falk might be interesting.  Does Washington State play a pro offense?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough.  Yet with all that and some good stats, he fell to the 5th round.  Any reason why?

Not sure I'd give Dalton "above average" as an NFL QB, but McCarron has had 4 years to study.

In the games he has played McCarron did what a backup should do: he had a good completion percentage and didn't turn the ball over much.

But he also didn't pass for many yards.  That concerns me, especially as AJ Green and Sanu were in the game.  I'm not sure I'd give him "looked the part".

Depends upon where in the first round.  At the bottom, it's kind of dismal - maybe 10%.  In the top 2/3, more like 30%.

To me, signing McCarron would be more of the same kind of thing the Bills have been trying to do for years  with Brohm/Fitzpatrick/Taylor etc - snag a "sleeper" hidden gem out of another team's backups or scrap pile.  So I would prefer us to take a chance.

I would be OK with the sign FA AND draft a QB route you proposed, and Falk might be interesting.  Does Washington State play a pro offense?

An is just playing the cards right.

Forcing himself into FA when there are a ton of QB needy teams chomping at the bit.

I think he's going to get at least $15/yr and I'm just not ready to commit that to him.

Let's hope we get a guy in the draft though.

Like a good guy.

Like not a 5th round lottery ticket.

Go bills.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:46 AM, purple haze said:

You say he's accurate with the throws, has a good deep ball...  he's also very experienced, highly productive, big and tall and is said to have great personal and football character.  The type of players the Bills drafted last year. Rudolph very well could be their guy.  He won't cost extra picks to get and he fits what seems to be a player profile OBD likes.

He is not my favorite QB, but I won't scream if they draft him.  It's all a crap shoot.

Everyone wants to talk themselves out of considering Mason Rudolph. He's going to be EJ, JP,  Trent. It's all speculation. He could tear up the combine and all of a sudden we'll have no chance at him. We don't know anything yet.

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Everyone wants to talk themselves out of considering Mason Rudolph. He's going to be EJ, JP,  Trent. It's all speculation. He could tear up the combine and all of a sudden we'll have no chance at him. We don't know anything yet.

True.  A long way to go yet.  One thing I think we do know is that the day after the draft there will be a contingent of angry/unhappy fans.  If they get a QB there will be those who say Beane chose the wrong one; if they don't draft a QB in first two rounds or not at all, well...  we all need to stay open minded.