Let's hope its not Rudolph

Estelle Getty

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and my opinion is that McBeane doesn't sacrifice draft capital to move up for either......the intrigue continues................

I have a hunch that they will move up a small amount in this draft...but not for a QB. I wouldn't be shocked to see them package 21 & a second to slide up a bit if Roquan Smith slips. Then take Rudolph or Jackson at 22. Not what I would necessarily be stoked about...but wouldn't shock me.

11 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I have a hunch that they will move up a small amount in this draft...but not for a QB. I wouldn't be shocked to see them package 21 & a second to slide up a bit if Roquan Smith slips. Then take Rudolph or Jackson at 22. Not what I would necessarily be stoked about...but wouldn't shock me.

...the whole damn thing can't get here soon enough.....I'm precariously low on popcorn, Bourbon, Cabernet and fresh BVD's......................

The Bills might be linked to a certain guy this time of year? You don't say...the art of deception is in full bloom.

Image result for smokescreen meme

Getting worked up about any so called rumors for a player, whether you like him or not, is just not worth it. You're going to hear the Bills linked to a million and one guys between now and the draft...some of them probably leaked purposely by them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I an not predicting anything that McBean WILL or WILL NOT do. I do believe that McBean will do whatever it takes to move up and get "Their Guy". Who that turns out to be is anyone's guess at this point. But put yourself in McBean's position for a minute. Wouldn't YOU want to scout these guys YOURSELF and not rely solely on the judgements of your scouts. After all, this is only the most important decision that McBean will ever make. If they pick the right guy McBean most likely gets a long term extension. Pick the wrong guy and Pegula may fire both McDermott and Bean. It's a good way to insure that Coach and GM work well together - isn't it? 

40 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

and what is exactly the definition of "timely" here at TBD?......minis?.....OTA's?....TC?......a woeful pre-season outing?........can't go much beyond THAT if you want "timely" here...Welcome Draftee.......or stay in school..........

To me, generally speaking:

1st year = mulligan.

2nd year, I expect to see significant progress. If I see regression, he is on a very, very short leash.

3rd year = last chance to show something. It makes absolutely no sense to wait any longer than this, hoping that sooner or later he’ll pan out. A complete disaster like London 2015 is grounds for immediate dismissal. 

I think this is more than fair.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estelle Getty said:

After seeing and hearing the rumblings that the Bills will take Rudolph if he is there at 21 I decided to watch some of his tape. Im no pro scout but this is what stood out to me. 

1.  He is in the typical dumbed down type of collge offense that Beane said he is trying to avoid.  Didn't see any passes from under center. 

2.  He locks on to one reciever.  He depends on his primary reciever to get open as he will stare them down for multiple seconds without so much as turning his head.  

3.  The only time he seems to look for other reads is when he leaves the pocket because his first read is not open for multiple seconds. He gets uncomfortable and leaves the pocket rather than stepping up like big time NFL QBs do.  Remind you of anyone?

4.  He is an accurate passer. When the recievers are open he gets the ball to them.  He can make some tight throws and has a decent deep ball.  

5.  He can create plays with his legs.  He seems to have decent speed and was asked to do alot of read option in his college system.

From what I saw he seems like a Blaine Gabbert/Bryce Petty type more than anything. A guy who ran quick pace, 1 read offense that had success in college who you are basically just hoping can learn an NFL offense.  It usually doesn't work out, and we as fans deserve more than that. 

I actually think moving in the pocket is one of Rudolph strengths, so I completely disagree with number 3. My biggest questions on Rudolph are his mobility and arm strength.

7 minutes ago, billspro said:

I actually think moving in the pocket is one of Rudolph strengths, so I completely disagree with number 3. My biggest questions on Rudolph are his mobility and arm strength.

If Rudolph had a better arm he’d probably be a top 10 pick imo

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

To me, generally speaking:

1st year = mulligan.

2nd year, I expect to see significant progress. If I see regression, he is on a very, very short leash.

3rd year = last chance to show something. It makes absolutely no sense to wait any longer than this, hoping that sooner or later he’ll pan out. A complete disaster like London 2015 is grounds for immediate dismissal. 

I think this is more than fair.

...agree....BUT...what is the definition of a 1st year mulligan?.....Slick Willie said it depends on "what the definition of is IS".....let's take Peterman for example.....and I am NOT anointing him as a potential starter, potential backup or a well traveled PS bounce around.....as a 5th, he had minis, OTA's, TC, some pre-season work, a regular season disastrous start as well as some regular season mop up duty.....in your view, does he qualify for a "mulligan" or an "INCOMPLETE"?.....where does his body of work or lack thereof fall in your assessment?............

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

and what is exactly the definition of "timely" here at TBD?......minis?.....OTA's?....TC?......a woeful pre-season outing?........can't go much beyond THAT if you want "timely" here...Welcome Draftee.......or stay in school..........

For some it seems the first incomplete pass he throws will be "timely".

i think the only 2 guys really ready to play early are Rosen and Darnold.  I like Mayfield a lot, but the size/speed adjustment will be big and NFL defenses are a lot different than what he typically faced at Oklahoma.

Jackson is clearly not a refined passer, but he could become a very exciting NFL QB if he becomes a little better passer.

If they pass on the chance to give les Frazier 2 stud defensive players in the first, I'm going to be very mad...  The first pick (21) should be DT Da'Ron Payne, the second (22) should either be LB Rashaan Evans or DE Chad Thomas.. -Whichever is still available... I'm convinced that the QB talent in this draft is in the later rounds... Besides that, I'm not sure I want to give a new OC a 1st rd QB when he just might ruin the kid...

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I don't want Rudolph to be our guy either. His WR's make him look better than he is. He will be at best an Andy Dalton type of QB, at best. The only two guys I would want from this draft are Mayfield, who I think is the best QB in the draft, or Rosen who also will be a very good QB at the next level.

Yeah, how many college QB’s have better WR’s to work with? I don’t know the answer, but I doubt it’s a big number. I say that after liking Rudolph after catching him in a couple games early in the season. The one read thing is very concerning. I haven’t heard/seen that as much with any of the other top guys. 

37 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree....BUT...what is the definition of a 1st year mulligan?.....Slick Willie said it depends on "what the definition of is IS".....let's take Peterman for example.....and I am NOT anointing him as a potential starter, potential backup or a well traveled PS bounce around.....as a 5th, he had minis, OTA's, TC, some pre-season work, a regular season disastrous start as well as some regular season mop up duty.....in your view, does he qualify for a "mulligan" or an "INCOMPLETE"?.....where does his body of work or lack thereof fall in your assessment?............

I give Peterman credit for going into a game on short notice. I also give Peterman credit for being fearless. The guy went down swinging. He was gonna sink or swim and not be content floating around. I respect that.

I wasn't impressed with him diving head first and getting himself K.O. I think the defensive player dropped early for a head shot hidden by snow but Peterman is at fault for putting himself at risk. Welcome to the NFL they will kill you.

The interception thing wasn't a big deal to me. I was expecting struggle but hoping for some good plays and maybe move the chains. I won't argue with people. The 5 interceptions is kind of hard not to acknowledge. I also seen him make some big boy throws. 

Peterman has to be aware and not put himself at risk or I wouldn't even get enough time to evaluate him before he is knocked out of a game. That's a scary thought. He has to make it through a game to be able to evaluate him. 

If he kept making those big boy throws I could live with the interceptions as long as over time they became less frequent and he was landing more strikes through the air.

I wouldn't be afraid to throw him back out there. If there is no locked starter why not? What do I have to lose. I'll keep trying guys and I'll look stupid until I hit. I'll go down swinging. That's why Peterman would get more chances if it we're me. I'd also realize that if I put him out there again he might not last long. If he gets killed every time I put him out there to the point it's embarrassment for him and myself I would have to stop my hopes for him and move on.

I mean the offence he was asked to go in and run also had like 56 yards in a game  and 3 point games so an awfully lot was being asked of a rookie and not everyone will acknowledge that....

I wish Tyrod would of went down swinging. Then I wouldn't be such an advocate for moving on. I'd rather see you fight and lose then run around in circles and get beat up anyway. That's what happened at tword the end of the Jags game. Got him K.O. too.

Edited by Lfod

I’m going to disagree.

I really like Rudolph. High character, leader, 4 year starter, and steps up in the pocket.

I think he’s going to be a great NFL QB and only have Josh Rosen ahead of him.

Chris Trapasso(whose opinion I value) has him as his #1 QB in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I give Peterman credit for going into a game on short notice. I also give Peterman credit for being fearless. The guy went down swinging. He was gonna sink or swim and not be content floating around. I respect that.

I wasn't impressed with him diving head first and getting himself K.O. I think the defensive player dropped early for a head shot hidden by snow but Peterman is at fault for putting himself at risk. Welcome to the NFL they will kill you.

The interception thing wasn't a big deal to me. I was expecting struggle but hoping for some good plays and maybe move the chains. I won't argue with people. The 5 interceptions is kind of hard not to acknowledge. I also seen him make some big boy throws. 

Peterman has to be aware and not put himself at risk or I wouldn't even get enough time to evaluate him before he is knocked out of a game. That's a scary thought. He has to make it through a game to be able to evaluate him. 

If he kept making those big boy throws I could live with the interceptions as long as over time they became less frequent and he was landing more strikes through the air.

I wouldn't be afraid to throw him back out there. If there is no locked starter why not? What do I have to lose. I'll keep trying guys and I'll look stupid until I hit. I'll go down swinging. That's why Peterman would get more chances if it we're me. I'd also realize that if I put him out there again he might not last long. If he gets killed every time I put him out there to the point it's embarrassment for him and myself I would have to stop my hopes for him and move on.

...nice assessment.....objective, honest and accurate.....:thumbsup:....the kid was a 5th round pick....a damn FIFTH ROUNDER!.......what the hell is the LOGICAL expectation of a 5th?.....early on, the kid has shown some promise with the mental aspect of the game, a trait required for success with the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level.....but of course the TBD "One & Done Gang" saw enough with his extensive body of work ala minis, OTA's, TC, scant pre-season work, a disastrous start as well as some mop up duty to earn the BUST label...my day care teacher said the SAME thing....with this gang rolling out the pigeon stained WELCOME MAT, I'd bet Rudolph can't wait to get here.....if these clowns are my judge and jury, I'd stay in school for THREE PhD degrees.....WTF?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, billspro said:

He is no Michael Vick, but he isn't a statue either.

Re his arm strength; it seems to be pretty average & good enough.

How he digests the WR routes vs the defenses that will be thrown at him, is the real question. He can get away with an average arm if he is quick to read what's in front of him. Because of the Offense he played in, it is difficult to answer that question.

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I was not impressed with what I saw from Peterman, but I’m not ready to throw him out the door yet. I guess you could say incomplete, but it’s more about that he needs to look a lot better this year. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I don't want Rudolph to be our guy either. His WR's make him look better than he is. He will be at best an Andy Dalton type of QB, at best. The only two guys I would want from this draft are Mayfield, who I think is the best QB in the draft, or Rosen who also will be a very good QB at the next level.

Assuming that's true, that's quite an upgrade around these parts.

Let's not forget whose arm broke the drought for us after 17 years.

• Haha (+1) 1