Let's hope its not Rudolph

Estelle Getty

After seeing and hearing the rumblings that the Bills will take Rudolph if he is there at 21 I decided to watch some of his tape. Im no pro scout but this is what stood out to me. 

1.  He is in the typical dumbed down type of collge offense that Beane said he is trying to avoid.  Didn't see any passes from under center. 

2.  He locks on to one reciever.  He depends on his primary reciever to get open as he will stare them down for multiple seconds without so much as turning his head.  

3.  The only time he seems to look for other reads is when he leaves the pocket because his first read is not open for multiple seconds. He gets uncomfortable and leaves the pocket rather than stepping up like big time NFL QBs do.  Remind you of anyone?

4.  He is an accurate passer. When the recievers are open he gets the ball to them.  He can make some tight throws and has a decent deep ball.  

5.  He can create plays with his legs.  He seems to have decent speed and was asked to do alot of read option in his college system.

From what I saw he seems like a Blaine Gabbert/Bryce Petty type more than anything. A guy who ran quick pace, 1 read offense that had success in college who you are basically just hoping can learn an NFL offense.  It usually doesn't work out, and we as fans deserve more than that. 

Edited by Estelle Getty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

After seeing and hearing the rumblings that the Bills will take Rudolph if he is there at 21 I decided to watch some of his tape. Im no pro scout but this is what stood out to me. 

1.  He is in the typical dumbed down type of collge offense that Beane said he is trying to avoid.  Didn't see any passes from under center. 

2.  He locks on to one reciever.  He depends on his primary reciever to get open as he will stare them down for multiple seconds without so much as turning his head.  

3.  The only time he seems to look for other reads is when he leaves the pocket because his first read is not open for multiple seconds. He gets uncomfortable and leaves the pocket rather than stepping up like big time NFL QBs do.  Remind you of anyone?

4.  He is an accurate passer. When the recievers are open he gets the ball to them.  He can make some tight throws and has a decent deep ball.  

5.  He can create plays with his legs.  He seems to have decent speed and was asked to do alot of read option in his college system.

From what I saw he seems like a Blaine Gabbert/Bryce Petty type more than anything. A guy who ran quick pace, 1 read offense that had success in college who you are basically just hoping can learn an NFL offense.  It usually doesn't work out, and we as fans deserve more than that. 

....anything to read into McBeane personally scouting him twice, first at the WVU game and then his bowl game?.......or is it protocol for the top guy to personally do the scouting as part of a "smoke screen"?.....what do you think?...........

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....anything to read into McBeane personally scouting him twice, first at the WVU game and then his bowl game?.......or is it protocol for the top guy to personally do the scouting as part of a "smoke screen"?.....what do you think?...........

Perhaps he was unsure and wanted to see more in person before making a decision?  I'd think the more someone is watching someone, the more unsure about them

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Perhaps he was unsure and wanted to see more in person before making a decision?  I'd think the more someone is watching someone, the more unsure about them

...GREAT point and certainly a different perspective....:thumbsup:.....regular season and bowl games are also two different settings..........

You say he's accurate with the throws, has a good deep ball...  he's also very experienced, highly productive, big and tall and is said to have great personal and football character.  The type of players the Bills drafted last year. Rudolph very well could be their guy.  He won't cost extra picks to get and he fits what seems to be a player profile OBD likes.

He is not my favorite QB, but I won't scream if they draft him.  It's all a crap shoot.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 7

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Was Beane scouting Rudolph or somebody else?  There are probably other players on the two teams that have NFL potential.

I don't want Rudolph to be our guy either. His WR's make him look better than he is. He will be at best an Andy Dalton type of QB, at best. The only two guys I would want from this draft are Mayfield, who I think is the best QB in the draft, or Rosen who also will be a very good QB at the next level.

41 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Just to compare with someone who is a scout, check out Buffalo716 QB Film Room on Rudolph.  He points to Rudolph's willingness to step up in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the throw, and also points to his deep ball as a particular strength.

That said, I think it's fair to ask: what is your solution for who the Bills should take at QB?  My thing is: as long as our FO is making a serious and long-term effort to find a QB, I'm OK with what they decide.

Comments: 2) I don't know whether or not Rudolph locks on to one receiver.  That's fundamentally the offense he's playing in - you know your read before the ball is snapped, get set, GO.  I have seen a few plays where he was clearly making progressions but I had to watch a lot of film to see them. 

I'm not sure 1) is exactly what Beane said.  It's true of all of the top QB prospects except Rosen and Allen AFAIK!  and many other college QB.  I think Beane's point was that making the transition to a pro offense for these guys is not easy or automatic, and that trying to suss out what the QB in an "Air Raid Offense" actually knows about reads and progressions that might help them transition, is something that takes place in private in the team's interview and scouting process, out of sight from the fans and media.  So the team might talk to two QB who both come from an air raid offense and decide that one has a much better grip on the pro game.  That's something we can't tell.

5) I actually did NOT like the way Rudolph moved.  I thought he ran like a busted mower in high grass.  I can't tell you what about his movement struck me that way, but it struck me.  Yeah, he made plays, but I'm worried it won't translate to the next level where the defense is faster and more aggressive.

The thing I liked least about Rudolph was his footwork.  I don't see him set and throw.  That too, might be the offense he's playing in but I think it's a hard thing to teach.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I don't want Rudolph to be our guy either. His WR's make him look better than he is. He will be at best an Andy Dalton type of QB, at best. The only two guys I would want from this draft are Mayfield, who I think is the best QB in the draft, or Rosen who also will be a very good QB at the next level.

I think that's a fair assessment.  Rudolph did benefit from having a very good OL and WR corps.  That said - everyone around here wants Rome to be built in a day now, wrt QB.  I would be good with Andy Dalton for a few years if the Bills think Rudolph is ready to play and if the Bills are willing to keep looking for a top-notch QB.  The reason the Bengals are still the Bengals and the Eagles have progressed to being the Eagles is that the Bengals said "OK, we have Dalton, we can win some games and get into the playoffs with him" while the Eagles kept looking: "Foles?  not good enough...try Bradford...not good enough...get Wentz"

As long as the Bills "stop it!" with this "I will draft a QB in the 1st round once a decade whether we need one or not" and "I will give every QB we acquire from FA or draft 3 years to start whether he deserves it or not" nonsense, we can live with "serviceable" and look for "better"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Was Beane scouting Rudolph or somebody else?  There are probably other players on the two teams that have NFL potential.

....another interesting perspective.....regular season was WVU....bowl game was Virginia Tech.......see anybody on either roster that may be of interest?....

I think if Deshaun didn't light it up last year, guys like Rudolph aren't getting picked until 3rd round.

Same might be said for what Zeke and Fournette did for their teams, and how a RB might actually go #1 now.

Funny how recent rookie performances can help guys rise and fall on the boards...

19 minutes ago, purple haze said:

You say he's accurate with the throws, has a good deep ball...  he's also very experienced, highly productive, big and tall and is said to have great personal and football character.  The type of players the Bills drafted last year. Rudolph very well could be their guy.  He won't cost extra picks to get and he fits what seems to be a player profile OBD likes.

He is not my favorite QB, but I won't scream if they draft him.  It's all a crap shoot.

I won’t scream if they draft him either

I will scream though if it’s obvious he sucks and they don’t remove him in a timely manner.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rico said:

I won’t scream if they draft him either

I will scream though if it’s obvious he sucks and they don’t remove him in a timely manner.

and what is exactly the definition of "timely" here at TBD?......minis?.....OTA's?....TC?......a woeful pre-season outing?........can't go much beyond THAT if you want "timely" here...Welcome Draftee.......or stay in school..........

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just to compare with someone who is a scout, check out Buffalo716 QB Film Room on Rudolph.  He points to Rudolph's willingness to step up in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the throw, and also points to his deep ball as a particular strength.

That said, I think it's fair to ask: what is your solution for who the Bills should take at QB?  My thing is: as long as our FO is making a serious and long-term effort to find a QB, I'm OK with what they decide.

Comments: 2) I don't know whether or not Rudolph locks on to one receiver.  That's fundamentally the offense he's playing in - you know your read before the ball is snapped, get set, GO.  I have seen a few plays where he was clearly making progressions but I had to watch a lot of film to see them. 

I'm not sure 1) is exactly what Beane said.  It's true of all of the top QB prospects except Rosen and Allen AFAIK!  and many other college QB.  I think Beane's point was that making the transition to a pro offense for these guys is not easy or automatic, and that trying to suss out what the QB in an "Air Raid Offense" actually knows about reads and progressions that might help them transition, is something that takes place in private in the team's interview and scouting process, out of sight from the fans and media.  So the team might talk to two QB who both come from an air raid offense and decide that one has a much better grip on the pro game.  That's something we can't tell.

5) I actually did NOT like the way Rudolph moved.  I thought he ran like a busted mower in high grass.  I can't tell you what about his movement struck me that way, but it struck me.  Yeah, he made plays, but I'm worried it won't translate to the next level where the defense is faster and more aggressive.

The thing I liked least about Rudolph was his footwork.  I don't see him set and throw.  That too, might be the offense he's playing in but I think it's a hard thing to teach.

Hey, thanks for that link to 716's scouting report of Rudolph. I haven't seen that.

In this draft there are 2 QBs I'd like to trade up for: Mayfield & Darnold.

2 QBs I'd like to draft if we don't trade up: Rudolph and Jackson, the latter of whom I've warmed up to.

1 QB I'm just not even thinking about because, despite the rumors, I don't really think he's on our radar: Rosen.

And please don't draft Allen!!!

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

I get the impression they aren’t interested in anyone else in the 1st Round outside of Rosen and Darnold.  We’ll see though

....and my opinion is that McBeane doesn't sacrifice draft capital to move up for either......the intrigue continues................