2018 QB Film Review: Results of watching 3 games each of top prospects

Bocephuz

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Falk broke his wrist in the 2nd game this year.

It's only speculation on my part but if something goes weird in the draft and BUF can't get the 1st tier guy(s) they want, I can see McDermott going for Falk.

From things I've read, NE is high on him too.

Good article about the wrist.

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Washington-State-football-QB-Luke-Falk-played-season-with-broken-wrist-worsening-condition-forced-surgery-before-bowl-game-112939862

...thanks for sharing bud.......:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That's kind of horrifying, actually.

Edit: I was wondering why we hadn't seen Falk at the Senior Bowl, and I gained much respect for him after reading his reasons for leaving.  Yowza.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ahhh gotcha

Sensei, please grant us your wisdom on this man, Luke Falk

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

"Leftovers" have been hoisting a lot of Lombardis lately. Foles, Tommy, Russell ...

Don't forget Aaron Rodgers as well....if Pick #21/22 are "leftovers" By Damn he counts, and so does Brees.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's kind of horrifying, actually.

Edit: I was wondering why we hadn't seen Falk at the Senior Bowl, and I gained much respect for him after reading his reasons for leaving.  Yowza.

Sensei, please grant us your wisdom on this man, Luke Falk

Don't forget Aaron Rodgers as well....if Pick #21/22 are "leftovers" By Damn he counts, and so does Brees.

I would say Falk is a developmental prospect...

He has good accuracy when allowed time and he scans the field well...

but on the negative side he is not  the best athlete for a QB and may have trouble moving around an NFL pocket. He is also slight for a QB

He puts good spin on the Ball and has some good traits but I wouldn't lump him with the other top QBs of the draft

I will do a full report on Falk these are just my quick opinions without diving in too far.

Because of his regression this year I see a slip to the 4-5 round. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would say Falk is a developmental prospect...

He has good accuracy when allowed time and he scans the field well...

but on the negative side he is not  the best athlete for a QB and may have trouble moving around an NFL pocket. He is also slight for a QB

He puts good spin on the Ball and has some good traits but I wouldn't lump him with the other top QBs of the draft

I will do a full report on Falk these are just my quick opinions without diving in too far.

Because of his regression this year I see a slip to the 4-5 round. 

Thanks!

College ignorant here....What kind of offense did Washington State run?

If it's true he was playing with a broken L wrist that they were hiding, I would kinda think that might have impacted him...hope it's not a permanent impact.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks!

College ignorant here....What kind of offense did Washington State run?

If it's true he was playing with a broken L wrist that they were hiding, I would kinda think that might have impacted him...hope it's not a permanent impact.

They run a full air raid

hard transition to NFL game 

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

that's dumb then

You either base on 3 best or 3 worst games. or both.

random games produce random results making op useless.

Interestingly, the OP seems to align pretty well in its conclusions with advanced college QB stats and with assessments so far from people who watch more.

Also, a number of pundits suggest just the opposite - there's a saying remove a guy's best games and his worst games and what's left represents who he is.

Butcha know you're welcome to do whatever research any way you like and come back and share it, I just think it's weak sauce to dismiss someone elses' hard work as "dumb" and "useless".

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They run a full air raid

hard transition to NFL game 

Have I got this right?

"dumbed down" "spread" or "air raid" offense:

Darnold

Falk
Jackson

Mayfield

Rudolph

"pro style"

Rosen

Allen

White

Lauletta

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On 2/17/2018 at 7:12 AM, Bocephuz said:

3 games is all i have time for .. 

Darnold has great potential no doubt... IMO he needs a lot of coaching up to get to be an above average NFL qb. Whereas Mayfield and Rosen are much more polished 

i can see that... much more mobile though

surprises - Mayfield’s height was almost a non factor. Very few if any batted down balls

- Allen is much more mobile than what I expected for a guy that big. 

First of all 3 games is way too small of a sample size. As a lifelong LA resident and someone whose household is divided between USC and UCLA, I've seen every snap of every game over the last 2 years of both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen.

Both quarterbacks deserve to be 1/2 in whatever order you want to put them. Both have great arms. Both are willing to take risks and throw into tight windows or 50-50 balls. Sam Darnold has the "it" Factor. I don't see that from Josh. Rosen is more fragile and his personality is well documented. Sam reminds me of Jim or even maybe the risk taking of Favre ( not quite the arm strength of Brett). Sam's marquee games were against Penn St. and Texas. Josh's marquee game was his amazing comeback last year v. Texas A&M. I like them both I just think there is a little more risk with Josh Rosen. I see more Jay Cutler in him than Troy Aikman.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Butcha know you're welcome to do whatever research any way you like and come back and share it, I just think it's weak sauce to dismiss someone elses' hard work as "dumb" and "useless".

Look. In football you cant go and take "random games" between different QB's then do a comparison?

Why you ask?

Pretty simple stuff.. "Butch" 

QB A  3 random games happened to be his best games

QB B 3 games happened to be worst games

QB C 3 games with good game bad game and some where in the middle.

It is impossible to get probable results by doing this. If you take each QB and do there best games or worst games or in option 3 bad, good, somewhere in the middle then you get even out results to work with. You no what that is called? Proper research, Analysis and Investigative material you have in front of you.

Don't think I really need to explain more.

He clearly said the games were random. If you took 3 games some where in the middle stat wise and work at it there then I would have no problem but random means random... last time I checked.

Edited by PrimeTime101