2018 QB Film Review: Results of watching 3 games each of top prospects

Bocephuz

I watched 3 games each of the top 6 prospects. See chart below for my rankings.

My scoring system is weighted... for example... decision making has a weighting of 3x... under center experience has a 1.5x weighting

My 3 general takeaways are this

- Mayfield and Rosen are on their own elite level

- Darnold is not worth a top 10 pick

- Rudolph could be a serviceable starter.. not a high ceiling.. but could be Tannehill

Flame away:)

Click on the image below to bring up the chart in viewable size.

16WEap2.png

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

• - POSITIVES - 
    • excellent athlete, surprisingly good runner, strong arm, good in red zone
  • NEGATIVES
    • sloppy footwork.. mechanics.. relies on natural arm strenght too much
    • makes several poor decisions per game. Saw multiple bad INTS.. trying to make too much happen ( Rosen and Mayfield had very few poor decisions)
    • At times he throws on time and rhythm .... but not anywhere close to as smooth as Mayfield and Rosen
  •  
7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Why isn’t Darnold a top 10 pick ?    What’s he lacking from your research? 

• - POSITIVES - 
    • excellent athlete, surprisingly good runner, strong arm, good in red zone
  • NEGATIVES
    • sloppy footwork.. mechanics.. relies on natural arm strenght too much
    • makes several poor decisions per game. Saw multiple bad INTS.. trying to make too much happen ( Rosen and Mayfield had very few poor decisions)
    • At times he throws on time and rhythm .... but not anywhere close to as smooth as Mayfield and Rosen
Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

certainly.. haven't been able to post much as my new job is a time suck.. but this was too important to not dig into

....great work......just curious........what surprises did you encounter as a result of the in-depth analysis that you weren't aware of?..........any key results that you may have anticipated including final ranking after work was complete?....thanks again...........

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

3 games is a pretty low sample size.

Darnold has less experience than the others, so he's less polished.

Darnold could be great, or could be another USC flameout.

3 games is all i have time for .. 

Darnold has great potential no doubt... IMO he needs a lot of coaching up to get to be an above average NFL qb. Whereas Mayfield and Rosen are much more polished 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe it's just the height comparison but Baker Mayfield really reminds me of Drew Brees

i can see that... much more mobile though

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....great work......just curious........what surprises did you encounter as a result of the in-depth analysis that you weren't aware of?..........any key results that you may have anticipated including final ranking after work was complete?....thanks again...........

surprises - Mayfield’s height was almost a non factor. Very few if any batted down balls

- Allen is much more mobile than what I expected for a guy that big. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

3 games is all i have time for .. 

Darnold has great potential no doubt... IMO he needs a lot of coaching up to get to be an above average NFL qb. Whereas Mayfield and Rosen are much more polished 

i can see that... much more mobile though

surprises - Mayfield’s height was almost a non factor. Very few if any batted down balls

- Allen is much more mobile than what I expected for a guy that big. 

.....why has the Falk kid virtually disappeared from the radar?.......moving up would require some significant draft capital......what is your opinion if McBeane takes Rudolph at 21/22?....

34 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

I watched 3 games each of the top 6 prospects. See chart below for my rankings.

My scoring system is weighted... for example... decision making has a weighting of 3x... under center experience has a 1.5x weighting

My 3 general takeaways are this

- Mayfield and Rosen are on their own elite level

- Darnold is not worth a top 10 pick

- Rudolph could be a serviceable starter.. not a high ceiling.. but could be Tannehill

Flame away:)

Click on the image below to bring up the chart in viewable size.

16WEap2.png

This actually sounds about right from what I’ve seen from my untrained eye...of course I wouldn’t mind Darnold...but I definitely think he is over hyped.

Edited by JaCrispy

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe it's just the height comparison but Baker Mayfield really reminds me of Drew Brees

Agree 100%...he has become my top choice...I think he has the greatest potential for success in the NFL based on the chip on his shoulder, his drive and determination, and his competitiveness, and accuracy...all these attributes outweigh what the other prospects bring to the table imo...and I am a recent convert too...initially I was NOT a Mayfield fan...but he is just too good in so many ways to deny him imo.

• Like (+1) 1

We would have to give up everything to move up to get the QB that we like,I don't see Beanie doing that.

The more I watch Luke Falk the more I like him, he may take a year or 2 to develop but with his accuracy and anticipation I think he could become a very good QB. His film study is top notch, this kids whole life is a devotion to football. With good coaching I can see Luke Falk being a good starting QB.