What kind of off season stories would you like to see?

Kelly the Dog

There seems to be a lot of stuff I would love to know but don't really have access to. During the offseason we just wait for the combine, free agency and draft. And make our predictions based on our limited "film" study. But it would be interesting to know what are the things you guys and girls really want to know that you only have limited access to. If we could interview a scout or GM or personnel director or...

I thought of a bunch off the top of my head to get it started...

1.     40 times. The difference in them from a scout’s POV depending on the position. How, say, a linebacker like Reggie Ragland or lineman may not have a great 40 time but his anticipation, quick reading of the play, acceleration, instincts may each cut a substantial amount of time off that score compared to players with great 40 times but without the instincts and reaction time. Have to have a scout really break that down.

2.     Same thing with cone drill times and the 10 and 20 yard times.

3.     MPH at the combine from the QBs does not relate directly to “arm strength.”  What arm strength really means to a scout and a fan is not the same thing.

4.     Players in free agency don’t just go for the money. How much a player’s family and wife and home and kids and schools and the city and the coaches and the style of play and the 30 different things that go into a player’s decision making process when deciding where to go in free agency. Each guy has a different hierarchy of those 30 things. Plus a lot of the misconceptions about Buffalo and players wanting to come there.

5.     Draft boards. How they are made and the rankings, and how every single pick in every single round by every single team in every single sport is the same decision. Take the top couple at the height of your board, compare them with the top couple at positions of need, compare them with how many good players are likely to be available when we pick again and then and only then decide the margin of difference between Top Overall and Top Position of Need and what are the chances of filling that position of need later.

6.     Going to the draft as a fan. What that whole experience is like. Ask Mark Vader!!

7.     What the teams really ask the players on individual interviews, what they put them through, what Gruden Camp type of whiteboard questions do the teams really want to know.

8.     What is a Pro Day really like.

9.     What happens when players get together and work out together without the teams in the off season. What do they do in their workout times and off times. How much of a drill sergeant is the guy hosting them. Who pays. Etc.

10.  How much can coaches trust coaches of college players or even their high school coaches who all want their kids drafted high and will build them up. How to get the real scoop from coaches who don’t want to hurt their kid’s chances.

11.  What is a guy like Josh Rosen’s hourly schedule like from now until the draft. That is an insane behind the scene story usually.

12.  How does a team really negotiate a contract with an agent during free agency and how much bull **** is really being told them.

• Like (+1) 1

I want to see R. Incognito and E. Wood sitting across a table from each other in a pierogi eating contest.    Race to eat a heaping mound (50 large) of sauerkraut filled pierogi the fastest.   Winner gets to punch the other guy in the face while the loser is still chewing.  :D

Edited by PolishDave

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm hoping to see a story about a rebellious space smuggler with a hairy friend. He's a self-serving con-artist and lone wolf type, but maybe...just maybe...he'll learn in the end the importance of working with others for the common good.

Eh, that story would never amount to anything. Maybe if you add in a slightly whiney teenager who's slightly into incest you may be onto something.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Eh, that story would never amount to anything. Maybe if you add in a slightly whiney teenager who's slightly into incest you may be onto something.

Wow...yeah, I can totally see an amazing dynamic developing between those two character types.

But...I think it could also use a cute, girl-next-door type who's got some sass to her. No telling what kind of drama these three would get into.

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm hoping to see a story about a rebellious space smuggler with a hairy friend. He's a self-serving con-artist and lone wolf type, but maybe...just maybe...he'll learn in the end the importance of working with others for the common good.

I'm in the mood for yogurt!

I want to see Tom Brady's DNA checked to see if he is human or alien.

I want to see Gronk checked for Steroids, HGH, Cocaine and X ... That guy is on something.

I would love to see the NFL figure out what a catch is.

Above all else I want to see the Bills get the franchise QB who will win a championship or five.