Virgil Green Anyone?

#34fan

I ALWAYS liked Virgil. He was fabulous with Kaepernick at Nevada -Now he's set to be an FA unless DEN re-signs him... The guy doesn't catch many balls, but to be fair not many get thrown his way.... The ones that are typically don't get dropped.... He's an extra layer of protection in the passing game, and someone I'd want around my rookie QB (If I was drafting one).

-Thoughts?

Edited by #34fan

4 hours ago, #34fan said:

I ALWAYS liked Virgil. He was fabulous with Kaepernick at Nevada -Now he's set to be an FA unless DEN re-signs him... The guy doesn't catch many balls, but to be fair not many get thrown his way.... The ones that are typically don't get dropped.... He's an extra layer of protection in the passing game, and someone I'd want around my rookie QB (If I was drafting one).

-Thoughts?

Only if Dennison was still here...

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Clearly it's time to move on from O'Leary. He's been a real disappointment and I don't expect him to be resigned. I think Ladareus Green would also be a good signing. He'd help our passing game.

Disagree O'Leary has been a disappointment.  He was a sixth round pick so the expectations shouldnt have been high to begin with, but I think he was more than adequate as a 2nd tight end last year.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Disagree O'Leary has been a disappointment.  He was a sixth round pick so the expectations shouldnt have been high to begin with, but I think he was more than adequate as a 2nd tight end last year.  

Agree. On no plane of existence was O'Leary disappointing. He may not knock your hair back, but he overperformed all reasonable expectations. 

Its a bit difficult to judge what we have receiving wise. Only rarely did we ever see a receiver given a chance to make a play or catch the ball with room to work. Hard to know exactly what we have. 

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Clearly it's time to move on from O'Leary. He's been a real disappointment and I don't expect him to be resigned. I think Ladareus Green would also be a good signing. He'd help our passing game.

O’Leary isnt going anywhere. He will recieve a qualifying offer this year as a ERFA. So Bills will not have to worry about any money really going to him. 

Next hear will be a RFA and will likey recieve a qualifying offer as well. 

Jacks Grandson will be on Bills at least one more year. Likely two more. 

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think he’s worth re-signing.  Decent blocker and he’s good for catches in the middle of the field.  If anything, I think he can keep improving

O'Leary is never going to be a great athlete or a deep threat at TE, but he's a decent blocker and catches most of the balls thrown his way.  Because he is a backup, he doesn't get a lot of attention from DBs, and with the coverage he does get, he's often open.  I'd keep him.

I like Virgil Green. A very solid blocker, and he has more athletic ability than he's given credit for. Broncos kept saying they'd be using him more in the passing game the last couple years, but with the mess that offense turned into, I'm not sure we can say that lack of productivity in the passing game is on Virgil.  

TE is a weird position for the Bills. They're stuck with Clay, who's had his moments, but given his chronic injuries and high salary I'm sure they'd love to move on if they could. O'Leary has shown the ability to get open despite never looking that impressive athletically, but he too is probably the victim of some weak QB play. I was excited about Thomas as a TE, but they never seemed to figure out what to do with him. Where were the plays that took advantage of his height/athletic ability? I feel like a new coordinator may be able to make that work. So probably no room on this roster for Green ...