PFF Identifies Zay Jones as a Rookie Who Can Bounce Back in 2018

26CornerBlitz

Zay will be fine in his second season. He will be physically right, has a new WR coach, and will have a new QB throwing TO him. I don't positively know, but the yips, that Zay had, could have been caused by the erratic throws that he was forced to catch.  He generally was faced with a contested catch most times, possibly some his fault and the QB's, who didn't seem to be able to lead receivers or throw to them when they were open. It might cause a rookie to press to much and, it is a self fulfilling result.

19 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Target Depths for respective Bills WRs:

Zay: 13.8 yards

Benjamin: 11.9 yards

Matthews: 6.8 yards

Deonte: 15.4 yards

Some other guys roughly around the same average target depth as Zay are:

AJ Green

Tyrell Williams

Torrey Smith

Deandre Hopkins

Mike Wallace

I don't have the average target depth for Zay at ECU, but over 64% of his routes were flats, screens, drags, and slants, which are all less than 5 yards, so his average target depth was probably very low in college.

and lets not forget that Zay " Drop " Jones always had the best corner playing against him.  

What is going on with Zay Jones' shoulder injury?
By    Vic Carucci | Published January 14, 2018 |

Kelvin Benjamin won’t be the only Buffalo Bills wide receiver having offseason surgery.

Zay Jones is expected to have surgery this week to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder, an NFL source with direct knowledge of the injury confirmed Sunday to The Buffalo News.

Jones’ father, Robert, a former NFL linebacker, revealed the injury during a podcast with BillsWire.com,

Benjamin is having a torn meniscus in his right knee repaired.

"Here's a guy that's going into surgery on Tuesday to get his shoulder repaired and people hardly knew that he played the entire season with, you know, a torn labrum,” Jones said of his son on the podcast. “So how would you like sitting around and you're going to grab a glass of water and your arm falls out of its socket?"

The source said the Bills never treated Jones for a labrum injury during the season and the injury was revealed last week during a standard season-ending MRI examination.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/14/what-is-going-on-with-zay-jones-shoulder-injury/

They kept playing a injured Zay Jones ,Benjamin and Eric Wood that is just terrible .

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, well played

I watched the Griffs game. Reese has been outstanding!! Big game Sunday

Reese didn't have a D-1 scholarship offer until the summer. He was going to go to a Juco.  He was Witherspoon's first signing for Canisius. He's a gem who is good enough to play and even start for most major programs. The Griffs will have to win the league tournament to get into the NCAA. It should be noted that Niagra is also playing well.  

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Reese didn't have a D-1 scholarship offer until the summer. He was going to go to a Juco.  He was Witherspoon's first signing for Canisius. He's a gem who is good enough to play and even start for most major programs. The Griffs will have to win the league tournament to get into the NCAA. It should be noted that Niagra is also playing well.  

The whole Big 4 is playing great!!

It really is crazy that Reese was so under-recruited. He can play anywhere. If Kassius Robertson can average 17 PPG in the SEC I think Reese could play pretty much anywhere (that’s my concern). If they can keep him they are going to be good for a while. Johnson is only a sophomore and Molson a freshman. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The whole Big 4 is playing great!!

It really is crazy that Reese was so under-recruited. He can play anywhere. If Kassius Robertson can average 17 PPG in the SEC I think Reese could play pretty much anywhere (that’s my concern). If they can keep him they are going to be good for a while. Johnson is only a sophomore and Molson a freshman. 

I don't understand your concern about keeping him. I don't recall him being redshirted so he would have some remaining eligibility after four years. As it stands he is in a very propitious situation. He is an instrumental player on a winning team and he has a coach that will help him to grow his game. The conference he is in is far from being a major conference but it is a competitive league. It seems to me he is in a good situation. Compare his situation to the more highly touted high school prospects who are now sitting at the end of the bench with little opportunity to play. In fact, the MAAC teams receive a lot of disgruntled/frustrated end of the bench players who transfer and have to sit out a year. 

My one big concern for the program is the lack of support by the students and fans. Even locally it doesn't get much coverage. There is a revival going on with the regional teams but the interest is not commensurate with the good brand of ball. That's a shame. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your concern about keeping him. I don't recall him being redshirted so he would have some remaining eligibility after four years. As it stands he is in a very propitious situation. He is an instrumental player on a winning team and he has a coach that will help him to grow his game. The conference he is in is far from being a major conference but it is a competitive league. It seems to me he is in a good situation. Compare his situation to the more highly touted high school prospects who are now sitting at the end of the bench with little opportunity to play. In fact, the MAAC teams receive a lot of disgruntled/frustrated end of the bench players who transfer and have to sit out a year. 

My one big concern for the program is the lack of support by the students and fans. Even locally it doesn't get much coverage. There is a revival going on with the regional teams but the interest is not commensurate with the good brand of ball. That's a shame. 

He’s a Miami kid. What if Miami calls or Florida? I think he has an opportunity to play at those places. 

Yeah, this would have been a great year to shine the spotlight on the local teams. It seems to be starting some. Yesterday was a huge day. I’d like to see the Big 4 do a Beanpot type of tournament instead of just playing each other. Maybe do it around the holidays? 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s a Miami kid. What if Miami calls or Florida? I think he has an opportunity to play at those places. 

Yeah, this would have been a great year to shine the spotlight on the local teams. It seems to be starting some. Yesterday was a huge day. I’d like to see the Big 4 do a Beanpot type of tournament instead of just playing each other. Maybe do it around the holidays? 

I'm not aware that Reese redshirted and would have an extra year's eligibility that would allow him to play the last year at another school. If Reese would have stayed in Miami he would not be the player he is because there is a good chance that he would have been lost in the shuffle. He got a lot of early playing time that accelerated his development. And because he, along with Crompton, was an instrumental he was given more responsibility. That wouldn't have happened at Miami were there were more betters players to share the playing time and roles. 

The best thing to happen to Reese was to get out of Miami with its local influences and experience a different environment. And the best thing that happened to  Reese is to have a coach and person such as Witherspoon to mentor him.  Make no mistake about it Witherspoon is a tough coach. Coaching in this cut throat business is not for angels. Your job status is predicated on wins. But he is a terrific person who cares about the kids. The parents of Reese should be ecstatic how things are working out for their son in the tundra of western NY away from the sunshine of south Florida. 

23 hours ago, dneveu said:

Same or similar players had us 10th in points and 16th in yards in 2016.  This year we were 22nd in points in 29th in yards.  So yes - I blame Dennison.  He made the team worse and I'm glad he was fired.

Red zone TD scoring - 64.81% in 2016 to 51.11% in 2017

Rushing YPA - 5.3 in 2016 to 4.1 in 2017

We were even worse at passing...

5.4 NYA in 2017 16 TDs and 10 picks
5.8 NYA in 2016 17 TDs and 7 picks

Same RB, TE, QB, most of the O-line.  And significantly worse results.  

What did we get better at under Dennison?  

Not really wanting to defend Dennison per se but how can you say same or similar players?  We traded woods and Watkins weeks before game one and used a kid who has never played in the NFL as our #1 WR.  We gutted the WR position and the stats show what you would expect to see.

Edited by sleeby