AJ McCarron wins grievance vs Bengals, is UFA

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ah...ok...for some reason I though he had not seen the field other than to just close out a game once it was decided.  That at least makes a little more sense then even though 6 TD's in 4 games isn't exactly world beating, but at least there is some tape on him when it matters with moderate success.

He had a playoff game against the Steelers won that year and then Burfict went nuts and the Hill fumble happened. He doesn't have a lot of experience, but has playoff experience and has been developed. He deserves a chance. I don't think he is a great fit here, but he deserves a chance somewhere. 

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

You already know Taylor's upside though.   You don't know McCarron's.

Yes, but.

Dalton had a pretty poor year this year.  Something like 4 games where he passed for less than 150 yards, and 3 games where he threw more INTs than TDs, including a 4 INT outing (and more where equal numbers TD and INT).

And yet AJ McCarron continued to Ride the Pine.  Why would that be, if he's an uncut gem all developed and just waiting to shine?  Lewis likes to have an "L" tattooed on his forehead or something?

53 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he had like 6 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 starts a few years back.

EDIT: He played the better part of 4 games in 2015. 6 TDs, 2 INTs

This is true.  And his completion percentage was good, as was his YPA.

What was lacking was total passing yardage.  I probably sound a bit hypocritical because I preach the Truth that passing yardage (overall) is not correlated to winning (in fact, high passing yardage is correlated weakly to losing!)

But, there seems to be a threshold of passing yards below which winning is less likely, I just haven't sorted the data to figure out the precise number - somewhere between 100 and 200 ypg I think.

In the 3 reg. season games McCarron started, he averaged 102 ypg.  And yes, he had AJ Green, Sanu, etc as targets.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand the obsession about him.  He wasn't even that highly regarded as a prospect in the draft and has done nothing in the NFL since he has been stuck behind Dalton.  Even Jimmy G played 2 impressive games for the Pats, AJ has gotten no field time.  

I get teams might be curious, but I just cant see why anyone should pay him for being a complete mystery.  Thats like bidding on a storage unit without knowing what is inside at all.  Sure, once in a while it pays off, but most the time its trash.  

I have no idea if AJ will be good or bad...but thats the point.  Crazy to bet on a mediocre draft prospect thats yet to play in the NFL any significant minutes.

Is this how you felt when we signed Taylor? Because McCarron has done way more in college and as a backup then Taylor did. He should've won that playoff game vs Pittsburgh, McCarron played a good game and gave his team a chance to win.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand the obsession about him.  He wasn't even that highly regarded as a prospect in the draft and has done nothing in the NFL since he has been stuck behind Dalton.  Even Jimmy G played 2 impressive games for the Pats, AJ has gotten no field time.  

I get teams might be curious, but I just cant see why anyone should pay him for being a complete mystery.  Thats like bidding on a storage unit without knowing what is inside at all.  Sure, once in a while it pays off, but most the time its trash.  

I have no idea if AJ will be good or bad...but thats the point.  Crazy to bet on a mediocre draft prospect thats yet to play in the NFL any significant minutes.

i am in this same boat.

3 hours ago, rodneykm said:

I'd be pretty ok with AJ honestly. I've always thought he could be in that mid level, solid if unspectacular range as a QB. He can throw too so that'd be an upgrade. 

...never understood why OBD didn't take a late round flier in the 5th for the kid (typical OBD)....nothing flashy or spectacular but a cerebral game manager......not much of a body of work....I'd bet McBeane is looking for a vet that gives the club a "two year net" vet under contract to mentor the new 1st round QB selection and Peterman....regardless of how long the deal is, if McBeane can get out after two years clean with no cap hit/dead cap, I think that is what he'll be looking for......capologist Overdorf would have to figure it out if possible..

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not advocating for signing him, but the Bengals are a very risk-averse organization. He never was competing with Dalton for the starting job. He would not have been named starter no matter how good he looked. Dalton is their starter and he’s “good enough” for Mike Brown just like Marvin is “good enough” 

This is a great point.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not advocating for signing him, but the Bengals are a very risk-averse organization. He never was competing with Dalton for the starting job. He would not have been named starter no matter how good he looked. Dalton is their starter and he’s “good enough” for Mike Brown just like Marvin is “good enough” 

Yep, the fact that Marvin Lewis didn’t bench Dalton to give him a chance really doesn’t concern me.  He’s incredibly conservative and risk averse.

6 hours ago, PolishDave said:

If Cleveland gets average or better QB play, even without upgrading the rest of their roster, they could already prove to be an above average team.   There are obviously more variables at play here.   But I think Cleveland is about to take one of the biggest steps in NFL history as far as going from bad to good.    Depends on how they handle the QB situation in my opinion.   If they actually get a guy with eliteness in him, they are going to rocket to the top of their division in 2 years maybe 1 year.   And everybody will be like WTF?

Of course, just my opinion and I could be 180 degrees wrong - as I have been before.

Your giving way to much credit to that roster and team. If they can become an average team with just some better QBing, that must mean the Bills would be SB favorites with an average starting QB.....

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Is this how you felt when we signed Taylor? Because McCarron has done way more in college and as a backup then Taylor did. He should've won that playoff game vs Pittsburgh, McCarron played a good game and gave his team a chance to win.

Not afraid to admit I was underwhelmed by the Taylor signing and he proved me wrong and won the job.  But again, we are not talking about something that happens all the time, to bank on AJ becoming a good starter by giving him a sizable contract seems too risky to me.  

I mean if AJ is so good, why isnt he pushing the underwhelming Dalton for the job?  Dalton is at best a QB that should be in that 15 to 20 range in the NFL.  If AJ cant push him or challenge to win the job, why should a team make a big bet on a guy who cant contend with a mediocre starter? 

56 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah, because that guy says so. ?

Call me skeptical, but when an article has a “want to write for us?” Link halfway through the article I tend to take it w a grain of salt (even with the giant font)...

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

AJ has a lot of upside and a high ceiling.

I agree,

For the right price McCarron would be an upgrade at the QB position (IMO) that may play well enough to compete longer term for the start in my humble opinion red.

Regardless of who Buffalo drafts...

...kid can play...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2