AJ McCarron wins grievance vs Bengals, is UFA

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

This is pretty much what I am thinking.      

But assuming McCarron doesn't get a high dollar offer for more than a couple years, I would think he is going to want to go to whichever team he thinks he can showcase himself the best with while actually winning games next year.     That might be the Bills.   It might be some other team.   He will want to look great so he can get that big contract with somebody - anybody - in another year.

If you are offering him a job to compete to start short and long term I would assume the price tag would be as much.  12-18 mil a year.  I would struggle going over 10 for him.

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If you are offering him a job to compete to start short and long term I would assume the price tag would be as much.  12-18 mil a year.  I would struggle going over 10 for him.

Sign him to a one year deal with an option for more.

If he doesn't get a long term high dollar signing (which he very well might not) then he is going to want the best offer to put him in a position where (next year) he can make himself look like an up and coming franchise quarterback rather than a second string game manager safety net.   That is the Bills' sales pitch to him.   This is a playoff team.    Take us deep, you get your contract.

He knows that he can get paid big by some team out there if he can show he is likely franchise material. 

Edited by PolishDave

Just now, PolishDave said:

Sign him to a one year deal with an option for more.

If he doesn't get a long term high dollar signing (which he very well might not) then he is going to want the best offer to put him in a position where (next year) he can make himself look like an up and coming franchise quarterback rather than a second string game manager safety net.   That is the Bills' sales pitch to him.   This is a playoff team.    Take us deep, you get your contract.

I believe that will be unlikely monetarily.  Most players dont do what Taylor did his FA year.  They will go to the highest guaranteed money spot especially after being a mid rd pick.   Glennon, Oswiller, and lesser extend Garapalo have created quite a market.  Mccarron on the open market would seem to the next guy after Cousin, Keenum, Bridgewater, and Bradford.  For similar money I am keeping Taylor.  Sure if I can get Mcarron for half the money I would, I just see that to be unlikely. 

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Lol, so i know the browns are a joke, but you think after all they have been through, they are going to pass on a franchise QB (by the way people talk about the top QBs around here im surprised generational talent isnt used more) and go with someone with less than a handful of career starts to go along with 2 other wasted pick and that many think have been ruined by them?

The Browns are not passing on the top QB in the draft again. If McCaron signs there it's to fill the role of bridge QB for whomever they draft 1st overall. I doubt he signs there knowing this if he has other options. If the browns sign a QB not named Cousins, its to fill the catetaker/bridge/backup role.

I didn't say it was what they are definitely going to do, I'm just saying that if they believe in McCarron and sign him, it gives them a ton of flexibility to upgrade their roster with two top four picks. I think it makes sense. Drafting Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield will only lead to more losing for them, and in two years they will be doing this again. They could be the Vikings this year, good line, good defense, ok quarterback. That is their quickest route to contention in my opinion.  

Drafting a young guy will really just lead to another season like what they just had with Kizer. 

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I didn't say it was what they are definitely going to do, I'm just saying that if they believe in McCarron and sign him, it gives them a ton of flexibility to upgrade their roster with two top four picks. I think it makes sense. Drafting Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield will only lead to more losing for them, and in two years they will be doing this again. They could be the Vikings this year, good line, good defense, ok quarterback. That is their quickest route to contention in my opinion.  

Drafting a young guy will really just lead to another season like what they just had with Kizer. 

Why would drafting a top Qb lead to more losing for them?   Shouldn't it be the opposite?

They can't go any lower.  Their arrow has to point up.

Kizer is not a comparable qb to those you mentioned.   Kizer sucks and should have been passed on in the draft.   Only Cleveland could make that mistake.

Edited by PolishDave

Just now, PolishDave said:

Why would drafting a top Qb lead to more losing for them?   Shouldn't it be the opposite?

They can't go any lower.  Their arrow has to point up.

Good point. But all of these guys have to be developed and their roster needs more talent. So they go 2-14 vs 0-16. That's improvement I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Good point. But all of these guys have to be developed and their roster needs more talent. So they go 2-14 vs 0-16. That's improvement I suppose. 

If Cleveland gets average or better QB play, even without upgrading the rest of their roster, they could already prove to be an above average team.   There are obviously more variables at play here.   But I think Cleveland is about to take one of the biggest steps in NFL history as far as going from bad to good.    Depends on how they handle the QB situation in my opinion.   If they actually get a guy with eliteness in him, they are going to rocket to the top of their division in 2 years maybe 1 year.   And everybody will be like WTF?

Of course, just my opinion and I could be 180 degrees wrong - as I have been before.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

This is not my idea of improving the qb position

you would be better sticking with TT.....and I have wrapped my mind around that we are not going to do that.

John H.

You already know Taylor's upside though.   You don't know McCarron's.

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

If Cleveland gets average or better QB play, even without upgrading the rest of their roster, they could already be an above average team.   There are obviously more variables at play here.   But I think Cleveland is about to take one of the biggest steps in NFL history as far as going from bad to good.    Depends on how they handle the QB situation in my opinion.   If they actually get a guy with eliteness in him, they are going to rocket to the top of their division in 2 years maybe 1 year.   And everybody will be like WTF?

Of course, just my opinion and I could be 180 degrees wrong - as I have been before.

I agree with you, but I think we are just looking at it differently. 

This is kind of why I am on the McCarron to the Browns train. You don't have to go through the growing pains of developing a guy who is already developed. Plus he was developed by Hue Jackson and Ken Zampese, who are both on the Browns staff. I thought he played really well for the Bengals and had that playoff game won a couple of years ago. If they go sign AJ and say draft Barkley and Quinton Nelson, and sign a free agent reciever their offense will be stacked. They can upgrade their defense in the second round and free agency. They have a ton of cap and two top five picks. If they talk themselves out of picking a quarterback, I think they have a real opportunity to be good this year. 

10 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I am definitely not a grass is always greener guy.

Me either.    But, I am ready to move on to (at minimum) a guy with more upside potential as a passer than Taylor.   I think McCarron fits that without question.  Could be wrong.   For same price or less than Taylor for one year, I think it is a no brainer.   Like total no brainer.   Guarantee more than one year - nope.   But one year to prove it - sure.   The current guy had three opportunities to prove it (under lousy circumstances) and failed.   Give him a shot somewhere else.   We have to find someone else to give a shot to.   Someone with upside potential as a passer.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree with you, but I think we are just looking at it differently. 

This is kind of why I am on the McCarron to the Browns train. You don't have to go through the growing pains of developing a guy who is already developed. Plus he was developed by Hue Jackson and Ken Zampese, who are both on the Browns staff. I thought he played really well for the Bengals and had that playoff game won a couple of years ago. If they go sign AJ and say draft Barkley and Quinton Nelson, and sign a free agent reciever their offense will be stacked. They can upgrade their defense in the second round and free agency. They have a ton of cap and two top five picks. If they talk themselves out of picking a quarterback, I think they have a real opportunity to be good this year. 

They would have to be 100% sold and all in on McCarron to not draft the top QB.    Because having the number one pick with 3 excellent QB prospects available is a dream come true.  I just can't fathom them passing on the opportunity when they have sucked so bad for so long.   It is truly unthinkable.

Well, it is Cleveland though, :D

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, vincec said:

Let me put it like this: how many think Andy Dalton is a franchise QB? Well, this guy was his backup and couldn’t move ahead of him on the depth chart. It’s not like he was sitting behind Tom Brady.

I’m not advocating for signing him, but the Bengals are a very risk-averse organization. He never was competing with Dalton for the starting job. He would not have been named starter no matter how good he looked. Dalton is their starter and he’s “good enough” for Mike Brown just like Marvin is “good enough” 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Good for him! It'll be interesting to see what the market is for a QB who's thrown 14 passes in 2 years, and less than 150 passes in his career.

I dont understand the obsession about him.  He wasn't even that highly regarded as a prospect in the draft and has done nothing in the NFL since he has been stuck behind Dalton.  Even Jimmy G played 2 impressive games for the Pats, AJ has gotten no field time.  

I get teams might be curious, but I just cant see why anyone should pay him for being a complete mystery.  Thats like bidding on a storage unit without knowing what is inside at all.  Sure, once in a while it pays off, but most the time its trash.  

I have no idea if AJ will be good or bad...but thats the point.  Crazy to bet on a mediocre draft prospect thats yet to play in the NFL any significant minutes.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand the obsession about him.  He wasn't even that highly regarded as a prospect in the draft and has done nothing in the NFL since he has been stuck behind Dalton.  Even Jimmy G played 2 impressive games for the Pats, AJ has gotten no field time.  

I think he had like 6 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 starts a few years back.

EDIT: He played the better part of 4 games in 2015. 6 TDs, 2 INTs

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he had like 6 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 starts a few years back.

EDIT: He played the better part of 4 games in 2015. 6 TDs, 2 INTs

Ah...ok...for some reason I though he had not seen the field other than to just close out a game once it was decided.  That at least makes a little more sense then even though 6 TD's in 4 games isn't exactly world beating, but at least there is some tape on him when it matters with moderate success.

Edited by Alphadawg7