AJ McCarron wins grievance vs Bengals, is UFA

YoloinOhio

Ranking AJ McCarron landing spots: Browns get a second chance at quarterback

6. Buffalo Bills 

The Bills could end up parting ways with Tyrod Taylor, who seems like a strong bet to be released this offseason. Assuming that happens, Buffalo will need to fill the void, unless it wants to roll with just Nathan Peterman (they should not do that).

McCarron might make a lot of sense as a guy who has experience. And the coaching staff could be a fit, with recently hired offensive coordinator Brian Daboll having come from Alabama. That's not to say he and McCarron have some deep-seated connection, but it's very possible McCarron could communicate with Daboll through Nick Saban about whether the two would work well together, and vice versa.

The Bills aren't loaded with weapons, but have a nice offensive line and LeSean McCoy in the backfield. Sean McDermott is capable of getting the defense to play above its head, and this team went to the playoffs just last year.

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

As long as it's a contract that you can easily get out of, I don't really see why you wouldn't pursue him. I'm not a big fan of his, but if you give him a contract like Mike Glennon got, that's a great move IMO.

Bills should make him a reasonable offer.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Good for him! It'll be interesting to see what the market is for a QB who's thrown 14 passes in 2 years, and less than 150 passes in his career.

So when I did my QB draft analysis using numeric criteria of completion %, TD/INT, and YPA, as I took it back to the later rounds two names showed up which raised my eyebrows.

One was Cody Kessler with the Browns.

The other was AJ McCarron

I'm not sure that means we'd like him - he was short on one criterion fans here think a lot of, and that's passing yards (with an all-star receiving cast, too)

Does anyone have any good film clips of how he plays?

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Bills should make him a reasonable offer.

Given the QB market, he's likely to want Glennon or Osweiler bucks.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

Signing him to a big contract is very risky.  There's no body of work to look at.  I'd be overly cautious.

Agreed. The one team it isn't risky for is Cleveland, because Hue Jackson knows what he is getting and Ken Zampese is there as well as QB coach. For anyone else, it is a big leap of faith. 

Although he would have won a playoff game vs the Steelers if it weren't for Vontaze Burfict going nuts and Jeremy Hill's fumble.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given the QB market, he's likely to want Glennon or Osweiler bucks.

I'm thinking he isn't getting a good contract offer because he is unproven yet and thought of as a game manager rather than a potential rising star.

But who knows in this QB needy NFL.

13 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I'm thinking he isn't getting a good contract offer because he is unproven yet and thought of as a game manager rather than a potential rising star.

But who knows in this QB needy NFL.

Good assessment.  Teams should take heed from what Houston did with Osweiler by offering him money far in excess of his actual worth. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why would McCarron go to Cleveland?  Unless he's the League MVP next year or happy being a backup, he'll be playing for a new team in a year.  Can see the win-now teams like Denver and maybe Jax going after him if they miss out on Cousins or don't want to pay his price tag.  

Players like familiarity, and he played for Hue Jackson for 2 seasons in Cincinnati.

Cleveland also has a ridiculous amount of cap room, and can afford to give him a front-loaded deal that doesn't hurt them down the road if they cut ties with him.

Plus, he'd have a great opportunity to start.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Players like familiarity, and he played for Hue Jackson for 2 seasons in Cincinnati.

Cleveland also has a ridiculous amount of cap room, and can afford to give him a front-loaded deal that doesn't hurt them down the road if they cut ties with him.

Fair enough but is Jackson the only coach he can play for?  Unless McCarron plays like Brady, Jackson will have a hard time not playing the #1 overall pick next year and will absolutely have to play him in 2019.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Fair enough but is Jackson the only coach he can play for?  Unless McCarron plays like Brady, Jackson will have a hard time not playing the #1 overall pick next year and will absolutely have to play him in 2019.  

Not sure--if I were McCarron, I'm guessing that I'm not going to get the contract this offseason based upon my NFL body of work, so what I'm looking to do is put myself in the best situation to produce.

If I can play for a coach where I know the offense, and put myself in a position where I can potentially be on the UFA market again next offseason, that's pretty much ideal.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Additionally, adding McCarron lets them do something like draft Barkley 1 and Chubb or Nelson at 4. Now you are getting two elite blue chip prospects. They have a really good offensive line as well. They also have Kizer to develop in the background who they seem to like. 

Now that team doesn't look so bad. Sign a receiver like Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry and some defensive players in free agency and they are in business. 

Drafting a young quarterback pretty much guarantees Hue Jackson loses his job in two years. I think he will be banging the table for McCarron and Dorsey will go for it because it allows them to get two top 5 position players in this draft. 

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Conversely, if his offer is low (or non-existent) from Cleveland it says a lot to me. Have to figure Hue has the most familiarity with him of anyone in the league outside of maybe some of Cincy's current staff.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Conversely, if his offer is low (or non-existent) from Cleveland it says a lot to me. Have to figure Hue has the most familiarity with him of anyone in the league outside of maybe some of Cincy's current staff.

That's something to consider as well; IMO, that could easily be passed off by McCarron's camp by pointing to the fact that the Browns have Kizer and two top-5 picks, so they have no need to be aggressive with a QB in FA.