Mike Mayock's Final 2018 Draft Position Rankings & Top 100 Prospects - Mock Draft on Wednesday at 8 PM ET on NFLN

26CornerBlitz

It just seems SO weird to me that a team that quickly shipped Cardale Jones out of town, passed on drafting Mahomes, and whose only QB acquisitions so far are guys with average arms but good accuracy...would suddenly become enamored with Josh Allen. It doesn't make any sense.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

It just seems SO weird to me that a team that quickly shipped Cardale Jones out of town, passed on drafting Mahomes, and whose only QB acquisitions so far are guys with average arms but good accuracy...would suddenly become enamored with Josh Allen. It doesn't make any sense.

Very reasonable post coming from someone whose name is logic 

WxWLgmSZ_normal.jpg Graham Barfield (@GrahamBarfield)
Which incoming rookie QB was under pressure most often in 2017? (Data courtesy of @CFBFilmRoom charting): pic.twitter.com/BqVLWjSwOP

Based on that chart Rosen had Best Comp percentage under pressure and faced the most pressure of the top 4. Hmmm

i suggest you all read that thread of his. Kills alot of the Allen myths and excuses for him 

Edited by MAJBobby

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Besides the big arm, Mahomes and Allen aren’t all that similar IMO. Mahomes was somewhat undersized, smallish hands, uber productive and Mayfield-esq in terms of being kinda frenetic in the pocket. I think he’s more similar to Mayfield honestly.

Cardale simply wasn’t a good prospect. 

Its possible that Peterman and McCarron aren’t the preference; they simply were the best remaining options. I admit you might be right about the Peterman/McCarron angle though. Although I don’t think Peterman was an accurate passer in college either; he really wasn’t good at anything in particular. 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:
WxWLgmSZ_normal.jpg Graham Barfield (@GrahamBarfield)
Which incoming rookie QB was under pressure most often in 2017? (Data courtesy of @CFBFilmRoom charting): pic.twitter.com/BqVLWjSwOP

Based on that chart Rosen had Best Comp percentage under pressure and faced the most pressure of the top 4. Hmmm

i suggest you all read that thread of his. Kills alot of the Allen myths and excuses for him 

It's just so painfully, blatently, glaringly obvious to me that Rosen  is leaps and bounds ahead of every qb in this class and I'm down right shocked he isn't already in Cleveland and dear good Lord Jesus if he sounds winds up in Buffalo I will lose it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see Allen as the guy. I really don't. I also, even though he is the guy I want us to draft the most, don't know if Mayfield is a process kind of QB. I think it comes down to Darnold and Rosen for us. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Listen to all of those ifs

Rosen has his ifs too, and he has been dropping on almost every draft site I see. I hope he goes to the NY Jets and they can both be a disaster together. 

15 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Allen had his collarbone shattered and put together from 7 broken pieces. Two years ago. So he’s injury prone too

Yep, and he has eight screws and a plate in there to keep it from breaking again. Kinda like Jim Kelly ...only Allen was never told he wouldn't regain a full throwing motion again.

Tony Romo has broken his collarbone three times and Aaron Rodgers twice. 

Allen suffered that injury in his first game at Wyoming and it derailed his first season. He played a full season the next year throwing for 3203 yards and 28 TDs. Allen considered leaving Wyoming for the 2017 NFL draft but stayed another year knowing that the next season he wouldn't have any of the talented players around him he had in 2016. He played a full two seasons after that injury. 

I don’t understand the thinking behind quotes like this one from Mayock. I think it’s safe to assume people have tried to teach Allen timing and anticipation. That’s not something that suddenly clicks at the NFL level if it’s not there vs the Mountain West.

this is idiotic.

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Listen to all of those ifs

I don't want Allen AT ALL, but...let's be fair here, the ENTIRE NFL DRAFT is based on "ifs". It's a crapshoot. Let's not pretend that any of the other QBs are sure things.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I don't want Allen AT ALL, but...let's be fair here, the ENTIRE NFL DRAFT is based on "ifs". It's a crapshoot. Let's not pretend that any of the other QBs are sure things.

Some prospects have more ifs to overcome. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Some prospects have more ifs to overcome. 

Darnold will be successful: IF he cuts down on his turnovers, IF his wonky throwing motion doesn't get him into trouble
Rosen will be successful: IF his personality meshes well in an NFL locker room, IF he stays healthy, IF he improves his play on 3rd downs
Mayfield will be successful: IF his size doesn't limit him, IF he learns to play more within the structure of the offense, IF he can adapt to NFL style offense
Jackson will be successful: IF he can improve on his accuracy, IF he learns to go through progressions with more consistency, IF he can stay healthy with that frame

The point is...everyone's got a lot of "IFs", not just Allen. And again, I DON'T WANT ALLEN. Just being realistic and playing devil's advocate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Darnold will be successful: IF he cuts down on his turnovers, IF his wonky throwing motion doesn't get him into trouble
Rosen will be successful: IF his personality meshes well in an NFL locker room, IF he stays healthy, IF he improves his play on 3rd downs
Mayfield will be successful: IF his size doesn't limit him, IF he learns to play more within the structure of the offense, IF he can adapt to NFL style offense
Jackson will be successful: IF he can improve on his accuracy, IF he learns to go through progressions with more consistency, IF he can stay healthy with that frame

The point is...everyone's got a lot of "IFs", not just Allen. And again, I DON'T WANT ALLEN. Just being realistic and playing devil's advocate.

to me it's more of what Beane said.  What problems do you want to bring in and live with?  Sure everyone has if's, but I'd rather not bring in and deal with a guy that lacks anticipation and timing.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Don't act as if all of these QB prospects have the same kind and/or amount of challenges.  There would be no grading system and you could just throw names into a hat if it just some random thing when we know it's part science as well as art that makes nothing certain.  There is a pecking order based on certain factors and Allen has plenty to overcome in spite of his physical prowess and intelligence that don't necessarily translate to NFL success. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Don't act as if all of these QB prospects have the same kind and/or amount of challenges.  There would be no grading system and you could just throw names into a hat if it just some random thing when we know it's part science as well as art that makes nothing certain.  There is a pecking order based on certain factors and Allen has plenty to overcome in spite of his physical prowess and intelligence that don't necessarily translate to NFL success. 

I personally happen to agree with you, which is why I want no part of Allen, and consider him QB5 in this draft. 

HOWEVER...for some reason, many NFL scouts, analysts, and GMs seem to disagree. Even Mike Mayock, who I really like as a draft analyst, has Allen listed as his QB2. He's being talked about as a legitimate possibility to be the #1 overall pick. Why is that? Could it be that the analysis of fans and draftniks (myself included) differs greatly from the analysis of professionals?

Damn it 26! You've got me sitting here defending Josh Allen! This is madness! I want no part of the guy! I think this must be part of my instinctual survival instinct to defend and try to be optimistic about every Bills player and decision. I'm convinced (and depressed) that the Bills will be drafting this kid. :(

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I personally happen to agree with you, which is why I want no part of Allen, and consider him QB5 in this draft. 

HOWEVER...for some reason, many NFL scouts, analysts, and GMs seem to disagree. Even Mike Mayock, who I really like as a draft analyst, has Allen listed as his QB2. He's being talked about as a legitimate possibility to be the #1 overall pick. Why is that? Could it be that the analysis of fans and draftniks (myself included) differs greatly from the analysis of professionals?

Damn it 26! You've got me sitting here defending Josh Allen! This is madness! I want no part of the guy! I think this must be part of my instinctual survival instinct to defend and try to be optimistic about every Bills player and decision. I'm convinced (and depressed) that the Bills will be drafting this kid. :(

These damned GMs and coaches love raw tools.  All too often they want that piece of clay they think they can shape and sculpt into fine art work. 

It all comes from Bills putting it out there thag they like him. Everyone then jumps on that and talks the big arm and big hands and weather (lazy). 

Instead of actually looking into the Earnhadt Perkins Offense (you know our offense) and seeing that Quick Release and Accuracy mean more 

• Like (+1) 1

I think we should keep in mind that even if we don’t end up with the QB each of us prefers, it appears extremely likely that Buffalo will have the most physically talented QB it’s had in a decade or two. Tomorrow should be a very exciting night. 

Just now, DCOrange said:

I think we should keep in mind that even if we don’t end up with the QB each of us prefers, it appears extremely likely that Buffalo will have the most physically talented QB it’s had in a decade or two. Tomorrow should be a very exciting night. 

As much as I am dogging on Allen in this thread it is only because of the circumstance. What I see a better QB on the board and we traded up for a high cieling project. 

To be honest I am fine coming out of Tomorrow with one of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen (least preferred obviously) 

• Like (+1) 1