Mike Mayock's Final 2018 Draft Position Rankings & Top 100 Prospects - Mock Draft on Wednesday at 8 PM ET on NFLN

26CornerBlitz

Not sure what thread would be better for this, but anyone familiar with Needham, CB, UTEP? Seems like a good fit based on this scouting report from Walterfootball:

Nik Needham, CB, UTEP 
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.59. 
Projected Round (2018): 4-6. 

1/22/18: As a senior, Needham recorded 59 tackles with eight passes broken up and an interception. He totaled 54 tackles with 11 breakups as a junior after 38 tackles and five breakups as a sophomore. 

Sources tell me that Needham impressed them with his cover skills for UTEP. They say that while he is not a burner, he is an outstanding technician who beats up receivers at the line of scrimmage. Needham doesn't have a lot of interceptions because teams threw away from him, but from watching him in practice, they say that he has good hands and ball skills. While his team struggled, Needham locked down some good receivers over the past few years while being a 3-year starter. They feel Needham would be a good zone corner in the NFL.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

FWIW, I find it interesting Mayock has Josh Allen ranked 2nd behind Darnold....with so many geniuses on this board saying Allen is garbage. If Mayock & NFL scouts have Allen ranked that high, I will trust them....especially this FO, they’ve established faith in getting it right.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

FWIW, I find it interesting Mayock has Josh Allen ranked 2nd behind Darnold....with so many geniuses on this board saying Allen is garbage. If Mayock & NFL scouts have Allen ranked that high, I will trust them....especially this FO, they’ve established faith in getting it right.

I know several pro scouts that don't have Allen ranked above Darnold. Mayock is good, but he's not a scout. He just doesn't have the kind of time and freedom necessary to be where the rubber meets the road from August through January. He's the best at what he does, imo, but he is not a scout. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

You get a lot of people that look at stats and make their decision on who the best QB is. That’s why so many people call Allen garbage and think that Mayfield is football jeebus’s QB gift to earth. In reality, those two are probably much closer to each other from a scouting perspective.

Personally, Allen is 3rd for me out of this class. Unfortunately, it takes a couple years for either side to be vindicated.

• Like (+1) 1

On February 15, 2018 at 5:45 PM, TheTruthHurts said:

I think he bases his rankings mostly on what he hears. I'm willing to bet the top 3 is how most of the real NFL scouts see it. 

He watches film and takes pride in doing his own scouting so to speak.

By his own admission, where his analysis suffers is in not meeting most/all of the players that he is assessing.

He only has the tape to work from.

He has mentioned before that all of the top QB prospects this year have a hole or 2 in their game; no one is perfect and he has also mentioned Josh Allen's accuracy being a problem that he may not be able to overcome at the NFL level.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Mike Mayock's Final 2018 Draft Position Rankings

Mayock's Final 2018 NFL Draft Position Rankings

Quarterback

1. Sam Darnold, USC 
2. Josh Allen, Wyoming 
3. Josh Rosen, UCLA 
4. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma 
5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Fall: Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State (T-5)

Wide receiver

1. DJ Moore, Maryland 
2. Calvin Ridley, Alabama 
3. Courtland Sutton, SMU 
4. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M 
T-5. James Washington, Oklahoma State 
T-5. Anthony Miller, Memphis

Rise: Moore (2), Sutton (4), Washington (NR)
Fall: Ridley (1), Kirk (3), Sutton (3), DJ Chark, LSU (T-5)

Interior DL

1. Vita Vea, Washington 
2. Da'Ron Payne, Alabama 
3. Taven Bryan, Florida 
4. Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays State 
T-5. Harrison Phillips, Stanford 
T-5. Derrick Nnadi, Florida State

Rise: Shepherd (NR), Nnadi (NR)
Fall: Maurice Hurst, Michigan (4)

Linebacker

1. Roquan Smith, Georgia 
2. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech 
3. Rashaan Evans, Alabama 
4. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State 
5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

Rise: Smith (2), Evans (4)
Fall: Edmunds (1), Vander Esch (3)

Cornerback

1. Denzel Ward, Ohio State 
2. Jaire Alexander, Louisville 
3. Mike Hughes, UCF 
4. Isaiah Oliver, Colorado 
T-5. Donte Jackson, LSU 
T-5. Josh Jackson, Iowa

Rise: Hughes (4), Oliver (5), Donte Jackson (NR)
Fall: Josh Jackson (3)

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mayock's Final 2018 NFL Draft Position Rankings

Quarterback

1. Sam Darnold, USC 
2. Josh Allen, Wyoming 
3. Josh Rosen, UCLA 
4. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma 
5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Fall: Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State (T-5)

Wide receiver

1. DJ Moore, Maryland 
2. Calvin Ridley, Alabama 
3. Courtland Sutton, SMU 
4. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M 
T-5. James Washington, Oklahoma State 
T-5. Anthony Miller, Memphis

Rise: Moore (2), Sutton (4), Washington (NR)
Fall: Ridley (1), Kirk (3), Sutton (3), DJ Chark, LSU (T-5)

Interior DL

1. Vita Vea, Washington 
2. Da'Ron Payne, Alabama 
3. Taven Bryan, Florida 
4. Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays State 
T-5. Harrison Phillips, Stanford 
T-5. Derrick Nnadi, Florida State

Rise: Shepherd (NR), Nnadi (NR)
Fall: Maurice Hurst, Michigan (4)

Linebacker

1. Roquan Smith, Georgia 
2. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech 
3. Rashaan Evans, Alabama 
4. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State 
5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

Rise: Smith (2), Evans (4)
Fall: Edmunds (1), Vander Esch (3)

Cornerback

1. Denzel Ward, Ohio State 
2. Jaire Alexander, Louisville 
3. Mike Hughes, UCF 
4. Isaiah Oliver, Colorado 
T-5. Donte Jackson, LSU 
T-5. Josh Jackson, Iowa

Rise: Hughes (4), Oliver (5), Donte Jackson (NR)
Fall: Josh Jackson (3)

The changes to his list usually reflect a lot of the chatter about guys at this time and where they slot in. I think last year he had Kizer as the #1 quarterback, then at like 4-5 a week before the draft. I remember EJ Manuel artificially moving up his list as well. 

On 2/15/2018 at 2:50 PM, Kemp said:

The only thing I care about in a QB is throwing accuracy and Mayfield always looks accurate to me. This doesn't mean I don't like the other top QBs.

Baker Mayfield - far and away the best QB prospect, and second best prospect (Barkley) that this draft will graduate. 

Just imagine ... if the Browns take Barkley first overall and practically goad the Jets into taking Darnold. It will leave them with Barkley AND Mayfield. SMH.