It's February 15. What's going on at OBD?

Shaw66

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They weren't, other than Cowherd who knew nothing. The rest just reported that Cowherd said so. And when Denver Execs were asked they denied it completely, because they would be subject to penalty if it were true.

I see the link now. Yes I was mistaken.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

"I walk away saying, ‘I’m getting better, I’m doing really good things, I’m about the process, and my process was really good today. I can’t control the outcome but the process was really good.’

Straight from the horse's mouth is my Cousins concern. He's a good fundamentally sound QB, but he's not a winner.  

We lost, but I did good, so I'm good.

What's going on at OBD right now?  Not a whole lot.  But that's OK.  Training camp, pre-season, and the regular season is a week to week sprint with almost no down time for the coaching staff and front office. I'm sure right now people are taking some much needed vacations, and doing the same thing all of the fans are....looking at the incoming Rookie Class trying to see who might be a fit for the Bills.  But, it's probably far from frantic at OBD.  Those days are coming.

28 minutes ago, cba fan said:

OK.

Then why was the media reporting a couple weeks back, that Broncos were close to a deal with Cousins.?? https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Colin-Cowherd-reports-Broncos-close-to-deal-with-Kirk-Cousins-114466121

None of this is allowed until new league year starts.

because you can not believe all the **** you read on the internet 

14 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Straight from the horse's mouth is my Cousins concern. He's a good fundamentally sound QB, but he's not a winner.  

Does Tom Brady control every outcome?   

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Does he say he doesn't?

He controls what he can.  Tom readily admits each and every game that he needs to improve even when he wins. 

Does he say he doesn't??   It is very possible that he has.  

do you have proof he hasn't? 

That bit that I posted was also just once after a loss.   He uses the process driven guy thing weekly.  

do you have proof he doesn't? 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If you could know the travel plans, and if you could see the cell phone records, of the scouts, you could figure out who the Bills have some special interest in.  

Only Belichick has that info. 

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Hey Shaw! Do you have sources or are surmising this?

Just surmising. Makes sense.   They what.theyre looking for at QB and thetbknow who's likely to be available.  So they must have already decided which if any of the veterans they'd want.  

I don't see any reason they'd be waiting to decide if they want Cousins, for example.  Once they decide that it changes their thinking about other things. 

I think they want Cousins.  

Edited by Shaw66

27 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He controls what he can.  Tom readily admits each and every game that he needs to improve even when he wins. 

Does he say he doesn't??   It is very possible that he has.  

do you have proof he hasn't? 

That bit that I posted was also just once after a loss.   He uses the process driven guy thing weekly.  

do you have proof he doesn't? 

Trying to improve is one thing.  Saying you're OK after a loss because you played well is a different thing.  If I'm paying a guy highest QB in the league money, I expect to him to elevate his game when needed to win.  His attitude suggests otherwise IMHO. QBs job is to win regardless of  his "process". At the money he'll be hauling in, he needs to make plays to win us games.  High passing yards ain't alone like he did at his last gig ain't gonna cut it.

Edited by reddogblitz

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Trying to improve is one thing.  Saying you're OK after a loss because you played well is a different thing.  If I'm paying a guy highest QB in the league money, I expect to him to elevate his game when needed to win.  His attitude suggests otherwise IMHO. QBs job is to win regardless of  his "process". At the money he'll be hauling in, he needs to make plays to win us games.  High passing yards ain't alone like he did at his last gig ain't gonna cut it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I (and I don't mean this as an attack) can't help but see the irony of this statement coming from someone with a Tyrod profile picture... 

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I (and I don't mean this as an attack) can't help but see the irony of this statement coming from someone with a Tyrod profile picture... 

I want to improve QB play for next year no matter what it takes. 

How exactly is it ironic? Has Hotrod ever said after a loss that he was OK with it because he played well? 

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I want to improve QB play for next year no matter what it takes. 

How exactly is it ironic? Has Hotrod ever said after a loss that he was OK with it because he played well? 

Actually, I meant more about the fact that he never showed any ability to go out and win games. When I think of Tyrod I think of the Cincinnati game and shutter at the complete lack of anything happening on offense. 

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Actually, I meant more about the fact that he never showed any ability to go out and win games. When I think of Tyrod I think of the Cincinnati game and shutter at the complete lack of anything happening on offense. 

I see your point and agree its valid.

In 2017 he had 3 such opportunities. Against Bungles as you have pointed out, he layed an egg. Against Bucs we were down 7 with 3 and change to go and won by 3.  Against Panthers he did hit Jones in the hands on 4th down. I guess we have to count the playoff game as well. (Those pesky playoff games :rolleyes:)  so on 4 opportunities he laid an egg twice. Would have been nice to get a little help on the other loss.

That's 25%. What do other QBs do?  I couldn't find any stats. The all time leaders are in the 50-55% range.

A valid gripe, but a little overblown IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I think you are misunderstanding this.  He wasn't saying he doesn't care if his team loses and he wasn't saying he didn't care about losing. He said exactly what McD said when the Bills were in their losing streak - it's not the end of the world.  We process information we get better and we move on.  

His comment was more about the difference between how players see a loss and fans see a loss.

It is NOT the case that coaches want there players to think "we are losing.  I have to do more."  That's not what McD wants. McD wants hia players to do their job every play. Focus on your job and do it.  That's what Cousins was talking about and that's why I think McD might like him and why he might like McD.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I see your point and agree its valid.

In 2017 he had 3 such opportunities. Against Bungles as you have pointed out, he layed an egg. Against Bucs we were down 7 with 3 and change to go and won by 3.  Against Panthers he did hit Jones in the hands on 4th down. I guess we have to count the playoff game as well. (Those pesky playoff games :rolleyes:)  so on 4 opportunities he laid an egg twice. Would have been nice to get a little help on the other loss.

That's 25%. What do other QBs do?  I couldn't find any stats. The all time leaders are in the 50-55% range.

A valid gripe, but a little overblown IMHO.

Honest evaluation. 

Obviously Jones needed to catch that, but he did have to adjust quite a bit making it more difficult than it needed to be given how open he was. 

It'd be an interesting stat to track... I do know that Daniel Jeremiah was talking about how that's what he looks for at QB's now because so many of them have all the stats, intangibles, etc, and still can't succeed at the next level. He was saying that he usually looks at all of that but then he goes and looks at fourth quarter throws and game winning drives and see's whose who. That was his reasoning for rating Darnold over Rosen and it made a lot of sense to me. 

Yeah, I probably blew it out of proportion.  I apologize. I think it's harder for me with Taylor because he obviously has all the talent to be great, and he's a brilliant guy, It's like he just seems to freeze up in the face of it. I will easily admit that he's the most gifted QB we've had since (at least) Losman, it just didn't seem to translate which made his lack of success even more difficult. I wish him well and I hope he finds a coach who can draw the best out of him. 

This topic would be an interesting one for a series of fact based articles. I would enjoy reading that. 

Unfortunately that won't happen because The Buffalo News doesn't do work like that. That would take at least a whole solid work week and then another week or two to write the articles. Plus you couldn't have that kind of people around the place. You couldn't trust them. 

That is a big problem to me. A very big one. TBN doesn't have any respected old steady upstanding reputable reporters any more. So who is going to even consider trusting them? I think that costs us readers a lot of quality insight and information.

Anyway I guess the next best thing is to pretend we know and come up with hypotheses about what they are doing in there.

Come to think of it, I think it would be interesting to see what they do at TBN. In a  different way . What do they do there? When I look at the size of their sports staff and compare that with the output, I can't imagine what they do with most of their time. Are they actually part time I wonder? Those guys and it is just that nobody tells us that?

Anyway I do enjoy the board here because some of the posters do that more in depth thoughtful work that I might otherwise never get to see. So that is a lucky thing!

I will say Shaw I hope you are wrong about them already having most of the QB research done etc. QB is what makes me toss and turn at night. The thought that they are going screw up the QB decision. I know people say it is just one aspect, but show me another mistake they can make, that can take  15 years to fix, and I won't worry as much about the QB choice!

5 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I will say Shaw I hope you are wrong about them already having most of the QB research done etc. QB is what makes me toss and turn at night. The thought that they are going screw up the QB decision. I know people say it is just one aspect, but show me another mistake they can make, that can take  15 years to fix, and I won't worry as much about the QB choice!

Just to be clear, I said they've done most of their research on the veterans who might be available.   The research on the QBs in the draft pool is ongoing.   The veterans, they already have formed opinions on.   Anyone in whom they're really interested, they've already studied every bit of film they have access to.   I'm sure if you could talk to them today about who they think is worth pursuing as long-term solution, they can give a pretty definitive thumbs down on everyone they know is OFF their list, and they can give you a pretty good but not yet definitive thumbs up on guys they want.   That is, they can tell you no on Keenum, Cousins, Bridgewater, Bradford, Foles, or yes subject to further investigation on each of the same guys.

Your fifteen years to fix is hyperbole.   Losman was not a mistake that took fifteen years to fix.    Edwards wasn't a fifteen year mistake.   It's true that it's been 15 years since Bledsoe, but that doesn't mean the wrong choice takes fifteen years to fix.  

The  wrong choice generally impacts the team for three to four years.   Either you cough up three first-round picks to move up to pick a rookie, or you write a contract that has three-year salary cap implications.   In either case, if the guy you pick is a bust, you're in position to take another shot at a solution with three to four years, max.     The good thing about signing a veteran to a big deal is that although it has three to four years of salary cap implications, you keep your draft picks, so you can keep drafting potential QBs who might be the solution if the veteran doesn't work out.