Trade up or bust

QBorBust2018

8 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

No excuse for passing on Mahomes & Watson last year. It’s always been “next year”, for the last 20 years. Obviously the most important position. Will the incompetent bills fail to get their guy after acquiring an extra first round pick ?

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or bust !

Ill just have to start watching the WNBA after the bills fail to secure one of these guys and miss playoffs next year. 

Please give me a reason to buy tickets this year. 

Go bills !

Word is they wanted Trubinski. After Chicago drafted him, their QB was now now gone. Buffalo let KC take Mahomes and we got a 1st for 2018 and drafted Tre-day.

Mahomes hasn't done anything in the league, so I don't get why people are butt hurt over not drafting him.

Watson looked like the real deal pre injury. Who knows how he returns. Also a lot of teams passed up Watson....

I am happy with Tre and having 2 firsts in what is said to be the best QB class in a long long time.  So it made sense to stock up and draft our QB this year.

Just my opinion!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, snamsnoops said:

Word is they wanted Trubinski. After Chicago drafted him, their QB was now now gone. Buffalo let KC take Mahomes and we got a 1st for 2018 and drafted Tre-day.

Mahomes hasn't done anything in the league, so I don't get why people are butt hurt over not drafting him.

Watson looked like the real deal pre injury. Who knows how he returns. Also a lot of teams passed up Watson....

I am happy with Tre and having 2 firsts in what is said to be the best QB class in a long long time.  So it made sense to stock up and draft our QB this year.

Just my opinion!

I dont follow college football really.  Would you say this is the most talented and deepest class?  I see 5 qbs that will more than likely go in the 1st.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Exactly , everyone is paranoid about the "holes" when those can be filled with free agents and the picks we don't use to trade up. We didn't get all these picks just to fill holes , we got them to get a freaking elite QB, something we haven't had since Kelly.

I'm all for trading up but I don't think we can expect all of our holes to be patched up in FA or with whatever picks are left from moving up.  There will certainly be holes left and I'm okay with that.  The rebuilding continues with a big step of getting the franchise QB.  

14 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I dont follow college football really.  Would you say this is the most talented and deepest class?  I see 5 qbs that will more than likely go in the 1st.

yup!

Who knows though. We need to take a chance. We have the resources.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't think he's saying forget about QB,  instead first fill the other holes, then go out and get the QB

Sure as would just about every Bills fan out there.  But if you look at the past 25 years or so of drafting, shows the odds are much better at getting the next Ryan Leaf. 

So how will you feel after going 0-13, then 2-14, only to figure out in year three that this guy is no good.  So now you still have the same holes to fill and go and get another QB

I won't be devastated either way if they do trade up or they don't but do realize there's alot of risk in doing it, and there's a better than even chance it doesn't work out.

Id feel better with that then going 9-7 or 8-8 for 3 years and still needing to get a qb and having to pick at 15 again to try and get one

7 hours ago, KingRex said:

Trading up makes sense mostly to try to satisfy whining fans, but makes little football sense.

This TEAM desperately needs to reload in order to:

A. Make one of the oldest rosters in the league (this is true even with the Bills scoring heavily in the last draft) younger( This is a huge need not only simply due to age, but older players cause larger cap hits

B.  Fill a # of holes left by injuries such as LCenter and older players like4 Shady being unlikely to last forever.

If the Bills lose their 2 first rounders and one or both of their second rounders to trade up, they not only risk that their pick will be more Ryan Leaf than Peyton Manning, but even if he is as good as Peyton, the simple fact was that this talented rookie elevated his Colts from 3-13 w/o him to 3-13 w/ him his rookie year.

Drafting a talented rookie while not reloading this team would be like putting a Formula 1 engine into a VW bug.

And that's if we're lucky and he turns out not to be Andrew Luck equivalent.

If anything the Bills should trade down.

I absolutely cannot stand this logic. The goal should be to get a franchise QB. If you identify one and need to trade up to get him then do it. You never know when you will have this opportunity again. It’s easier to build around a franchise QB than it is to waste time hoping one magically falls into your lap. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I absolutely cannot stand this logic. The goal should be to get a franchise QB. If you identify one and need to trade up to get him then do it. You never know when you will have this opportunity again. It’s easier to build around a franchise QB than it is to waste time hoping one magically falls into your lap. 

that's the logic the organization has had for the last 20 years and why we had a 17 year drought. Lets take a chance trade up; and get our guy! Trade all our picks if need be I honestly don't care if we get that guy!

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

The goal should be to get a franchise QB. If you identify one and need to trade up to get him then do it. 

The goal should be to get an elite Qb - best of the best if you can - or at least one that will be top 5 perennially.   Not just a franchise guy.   There are franchise guys who are not good enough for your team to be dominant year after year.   TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION should be the goal.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Wsam4031 said:

that's the logic the organization has had for the last 20 years and why we had a 17 year drought. Lets take a chance trade up; and get our guy! Trade all our picks if need be I honestly don't care if we get that guy!

Right. For years we’ve been playing it safe and drafting every other position but QB and instead throwing journeymen and backups out there to start. We need to actually take a chance.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Here's the main thing that scares me about moving up so far and giving up so much. You draft a potential franchise QB. Who now gets to be taught by a glorified WR coach. Then we put him behind an oline coached up by Juan Castillo. What could possibly go wrong?

Lets never draft a QB high until we have the perfect coaching staff, great WRs and an elite o-line. Some of you are waiting for the perfect situation to draft one high and it will never happen. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

No excuse for passing on Mahomes & Watson last year. It’s always been “next year”, for the last 20 years. Obviously the most important position. Will the incompetent bills fail to get their guy after acquiring an extra first round pick ?

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or bust !

Ill just have to start watching the WNBA after the bills fail to secure one of these guys and miss playoffs next year. 

Please give me a reason to buy tickets this year. 

Go bills !

Mahomes? Really? KC will be kicking themselves in two years for that trade as well as sending Smith to Washington. Mahomes will be nothing better than average. As for Watson seems to be a great player, but will he come back from his injury? Only time will tell. The Bills seem to be looking for the right QB not just a QB, they made the playoffs finally and are pointed in the right direction and thankfully they didn't listen to some of the people on this board and reach for a joker like Mahomes. 

In this draft many pundits agree every single QB prospect has flaws. There is not one squeaky clean prospect and some are more ready than others. Rosen is most pro ready but looks frail and has injury history. Darnold is a turnover machine with a ton of talent and athleticism. Allen has the most talent and athleticism but he is raw. Mayfield is small and throws out of the pocket. Lamar Jackson is a running type with a big arm and many say is very inaccurate. Rudolph has a great deep ball but comes from a system that inflates stats and doesn't have a great history of producing great starting QBs. 

If we plan on getting a QB via the draft I like Rosen personally unless we go Allen and get a bridge QB until he's ready. I think even Darnold needs time to develop which is why I wouldn't understand why him and Allen would go top 5. Mayfield scares me and so does Jackson, Mayfield because of his pocket presence and Jackson because he seems like a little taller version of Tyrod.

18 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

In this draft many pundits agree every single QB prospect has flaws. There is not one squeaky clean prospect and some are more ready than others. Rosen is most pro ready but looks frail and has injury history. Darnold is a turnover machine with a ton of talent and athleticism. Allen has the most talent and athleticism but he is raw. Mayfield is small and throws out of the pocket. Lamar Jackson is a running type with a big arm and many say is very inaccurate. Rudolph has a great deep ball but comes from a system that inflates stats and doesn't have a great history of producing great starting QBs. 

If we plan on getting a QB via the draft I like Rosen personally unless we go Allen and get a bridge QB until he's ready. I think even Darnold needs time to develop which is why I wouldn't understand why him and Allen would go top 5. Mayfield scares me and so does Jackson, Mayfield because of his pocket presence and Jackson because he seems like a little taller version of Tyrod.

So you are saying Darnold is a more talented, more athletic Nate Peterman?     Get him and kick Nate to the curb.

I see no reason to trade-up.  To me, there are a lot of QB's who could be "the best" in this class.  It's too much of a gamble this year, IMO.  L. Jackson or L. Falk could turn out to be the best QB from the draft, and should be there at 21.  Again, a lot of teams passed on Watson, who looked like the draft's best QB last year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i've already mentioned several times that my first move would be to get foles and i'd use 22 to do it.

i of course would be thrilled to get cousins, but that would probably take divine intervention.

the only qb i would trade up for is mayfield, but we would need to get in front of the jets...unless of course they go fa.

however, i can also see standing pat because i do like rudolph. if we can get him and vita vea, i'd be fine with that. they can also use picks/players to move back up a little to maybe get davenport.  hughes/star/vea/ lawson-davenport would be a pretty formidable front. plus rotating washington/williams/davis and yarborough for depth instantly gives us one of the best dlines in the league.

i also think that no matter where we get a qb in the draft that i am ok with peterman taking the starting role after having a second off season and camp to improve. i think he can give us a geoff type performance. i expect our defense to take a step up. i expect healthy wide receivers with additions and improvement on the oline also. i think nate can give us a 10-6 and i'd put money on it. i would not overspend for a bridge.

Edited by billsredneck1

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I don't think the top end guys are a lot better than the top end guys in the last 3 drafts (I think Watson, Winston, Mariota, Wentz and Goff were all in that same territory as Rosen and Darnold) but there is definitely more 1st round grade QBs in this class than normal.  I also think there is more depth as you look down the board.  A Nate Peterman type would be lucky to get drafted and stick on a roster this year IMO.