Active shooter at Florida high school

Honest question, and I'm going to ask and then have to run, my apologies, I'll be back to respond.

Question:  Do violent video games play any part in the school shootings?  I really don't know the answer now-adays (kitschy language intended).

I know it didn't matter to me personally, and I don't think games had any negative influence on my generation, short of 20 extra pounds from inactivity.  But I grew up with Mario and Samus and Zelda.  I still play now, but as an 'adult'.  So, do the ultra-realistic, violent video games of today share any blame in teen/young-adult violence?  I don't think so, but what say ya'll?

5 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Honest question, and I'm going to ask and then have to run, my apologies, I'll be back to respond.

Question:  Do violent video games play any part in the school shootings?  I really don't know the answer now-adays (kitschy language intended).

I know it didn't matter to me personally, and I don't think games had any negative influence on my generation, short of 20 extra pounds from inactivity.  But I grew up with Mario and Samus and Zelda.  I still play now, but as an 'adult'.  So, do the ultra-realistic, violent video games of today share any blame in teen/young-adult violence?  I don't think so, but what say ya'll?

No.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/966854507744374784.html

Maybe, just maybe the School Board and the Cops - including the FBI are complicit in allowing this to happen. 

Go to the other thread, people. Good find Greggy! 

edit: had trouble pasting the direct linky thingy. 

It's in the Deep State thread folks.

Edited by Nanker
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

It's not a throwaway at all.  Clearly, it's about shooting up (heroin).

A throwaway is a song that won’t go to a single, the Beatles crafted almost 100 great throwaways

dude looking up women’s skirts with mirrors on his boots and other fun...

i will leave you to tell me what:

“a soap impression of his wife, which he ate, and donated to the National Trust” 

means, NT at the time a slang for toilet

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

I have no idea

It can’t be anything but disgusting, a few critics have stated their views, I won’t bother retelling them....

rhe Mono version of Hapiness is much better, the stereo version cuts out the heavy bass and drums at the Mother Superior part, a travesty i tells ya

——-

The title had to be some offshoot of the Peanuts book Hapiness in a Warm Puppy, and an NRA ad John took the title from

both would have been appealing to Lennon

And his twisted sense of humour

And appalling 

32 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

There could be something here.  Obviously most kids that play video games don't do this.  However, the Columbine guys were heavy into it and even made a custom level of Doom to look like Columbine High School.

According to a statement made to government "investigators" of the Columbine massacre by then-CHS student David Proctor, who occasionally played Doom with Harris and Klebold via modem, Harris told him in 1999 that he'd created a level in Doom that was Columbine High School. Proctor added that another classmate had told him he'd heard the same.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre

2 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Play any part? Certainly they do.  I suggest reading "On Killing" authored by Lt. Col. (Ret.) Dave Grossman.  The vast majority of well adjusted humans have built into our brains safeguards that shield us from the desire to kill another human. Most species have an innate avoidance of killing their own kind. The nation's military understands this,  and it has been documented over and over in wars of bygone eras. To combat this,  the military has become extremely effective at indoctrinating recruits and retraining their brains to widdle down this safeguard.  One of the most effective ways at retraining the brain is to view violent, realistic death... over and over and over.. with no negative consequence.  Violent video games, and to a lesser extent violent movies and tv,  do this to a "T". Players are actually rewarded with higher scores for killing other players, so not only is there no negative consequence for killing,  but there is positive reinforcement.  Video games have evolved so much in graphics and realism, that the human mind begins to be retrained. The line between what is real and what is fake begins to blur.  For an adult,  it isn't so much of a big deal.  But,  for a 12 year old boy that plays these games for 6 hours a day (or more), there is certainly an effect. 

https://www.killology.com/teaching-kids-to-kill

He touches on a lot of stuff in the link above,  but reading "On Killing" is highly recommended. 

BTW, I enjoy my first person shooter games as much as the next guy and play an hour or three a week. 

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Thank you (+1) 1

LnvhR8ED_bigger.pngCNNVerified account @CNN

FollowFollow @CNN
A woman who called an FBI tip line in early January described a young man -- the eventual Florida shooter -- with an arsenal of knives and guns who was "going to explode" and said she feared him "getting into a school and just shooting the place up." http://cnn.it/2ESp7OI 

Damn NRA ..............

7 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Well, hold on here — why should a gun get locked up on a first offense? First time DUI offenders get leniency, and we don't take their cars away. I don't see why we should have to be so harsh on guns if they've only shot people ONCE.

So,  you are saying we should ban cars? I mean,  they are the weapon that a criminal uses to kill and maim innocent people by the tens of thousands every year,  right? Think of the lives that will be saved. 

Just now, Sig1Hunter said:

So,  you are saying we should ban cars? I mean,  they are the weapon that a criminal uses to kill and maim innocent people by the tens of thousands every year,  right? Think of the lives that will be saved. 

Plus, there's a stronger correlation to car ownership and gun crime than their is gun ownership and gun crime.  

On the other hand, a bullet from an AR-15 is almost 30 times faster than a car!!!  [/MSNBC]

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

There was also an armed guard at Columbine.

There was also a good guy with a gun at the Gifford's shooting that didn't act out of fear of being shot by the police or some other good guy with a gun.

Look up Joel Myrick.  A Teacher with a gun.

23 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

You're right! We should de-regulate traffic laws to match gun laws. Any 18 year old with a face who hasn't been to jail should be allowed on the road. And we shouldn't have police patrolling traffic until after there have been accidents. Just like guns, we should take as few preventative measures as possible.

The only thing that can stop a bad driver in a car is a good driver in a car. Right?

You moron.

Edited by LA Grant

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Damn NRA ..............

It's not even about that anymore... It's about grownups at many levels letting these kids down... The 75k a year cop (With a gun) refusing to engage, The FBI (with tons of guns) refusing to even acknowledge a credible threat... These kids got royally SCREWED... No wonder why they don't trust grownups.

41 minutes ago, #34fan said:

It's not even about that anymore... It's about grownups at many levels letting these kids down... The 75k a year cop (With a gun) refusing to engage, The FBI (with tons of guns) refusing to even acknowledge a credible threat... These kids got royally SCREWED... No wonder why they don't trust grownups.

Those two things are beyond infuriating.  !@#$ing coward cop should be in prison.  Or shot.

As for the FBI, they couldn't even be bothered with the pre-9/11 warnings after a decade of escalating global terrorist events, so better temper expectations there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Those two things are beyond infuriating.  !@#$ing coward cop should be in prison.  Or shot.

As for the FBI, they couldn't even be bothered with the pre-9/11 warnings after a decade of escalating global terrorist events, so better temper expectations there.

It's at least dereliction of duty... The other perspective is that he's been a cop for 30 years... In frickin' Broward county!

I lived in that area for about 5 years.... During the mid eighties Broward County was DOPE CENTRAL in So. Fla.

BSO (Broward Sherriff's Office) were kicking in doors of crack-dens left and right... It was a  pretty remarkable, and very dangerous time.

He probably thought "I survived that just to die days from my retirement at the hand of some punk kid?"  -"NOPE!"

This was a "gravy" job for him... He was completely unattached to these kids.

9 hours ago, LA Grant said:

You're right! We should de-regulate traffic laws to match gun laws. Any 18 year old with a face who hasn't been to jail should be allowed on the road. And we shouldn't have police patrolling traffic until after there have been accidents. Just like guns, we should take as few preventative measures as possible.

The only thing that can stop a bad driver in a car is a good driver in a car. Right?

You moron.

Do you even have a point,  or were you born obtuse?