McCoy for Foles.

Tipster19

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You and I know it will continue.  The latest and greatest hot player in mind draws the most attention without regard to an entire body of work. 

I wish we as fanbase would just stop looking for recycled qbs and debating on how they are better than drafting one. That's the problem with this team the past 17 years. We keep trying to convince ourselves that orton, fitz, tyrod, and others will be good enough if we just give them the best running game and the best d and magical pixie dust and we can win a super bowl. IT DOESNT WORK!!! Get A franchise qb in the draft, trade everything if need be and get the guy you think can be that guy. If it doesn't work then oh well we don't make the playoffs again. We are used to that but at least they tried to win it all 

49 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

That literally means NOTHING to me. 

So im assuming you are in favor of trading for Nick Foles?

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are distorting what has been said in this discussion. He is not an elite player. Few people are making that claim. However, he is a qb who is capable of running a pro offense. He is a decent passer who can make all the throws. Being a capable qb is a dramatic upgrade from what we currently have. You may not find that satisfying but I do. Getting better at the qb position is better than the wretched status quo. 

Firstly, I'm not distorting anything as this thread is no different than the other 4 or 5 that have cropped up since Foles' performance in the NFC Championship game against MIN.  With regard to the other bolded part from your quote,  it is rather obvious but not worth giving up a 2nd round pick or Shady McCoy IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No, no, no, no and just in case it wasn't clear.... No. 

Terrible idea. People need to stop suggesting we give things up for Nick Foles.  

Gunner....I am going to put you down for a "no".  With that said, I disagree with you.  Shady can run up and down the field all day long, but he isn't getting any younger, and the chance of this team returning the playoffs with the same running back/quarterback combo are less than slim.  While I would hate to see Shady go, and while I doubt the Philly would make the trade, I would much rather draft a stud running back and pair him up with Foles, than stick with an aging running back and pair him up with the fifth or sixth quarterback taken in the draft.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

So you would trade your best player for a guy that we don’t know is good. Then we would turn around an package multiple 1sts to get a guy that plays the same position?!?

John, that’s a ridiculous idea. Identify your QB and get him. It isn’t complicated. You have way too many holes. 

You didn't carefully read what I posted. I stated that if you get Foles in a trade for McCoy you can still have your multiple high picks to use on upgrading the roster. I simply made the point that for those who would prefer one of the higher end qb prospects you still have the ability to do it if you want to. 

No doubt McCoy is our best player. However, he is a 30 yr old back who is not going to get the number of carries he has gotten in the past. You can bring in a quality back from the market who will be cheaper to replace him. Of course he will not be better but it will balanced out by getting a qb who can run a pro offense and is a much more proficient passer than what we currently have at qb. If the trade off is between a very good back whose carries are going to be less and a competent qb I will take that trade any time of the day. The era of having a pop warner offense needs to end. With the acquisition of a capable qb it will. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Firstly, I'm not distorting anything as this thread is no different than the other 4 or 5 that have cropped up since Foles' performance in the NFC Championship game against MIN.  With regard to the other bolded part from your quote,  it is rather obvious but not worth giving up a 2nd round pick or Shady McCoy IMO.

Who said giving up a second round pick would be in the deal? 

15 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

if he was on Buffalo for the past 5 years he would've been run out of town the same way Tyrod is. Hes average and afraid to throw the ball downfield (until this year) Tyrod had very close stats as far as Completion % Int % and qbr. He was laking the wins but I think you trade smith for tyrod and tyrod wins as many as Smith did for KC. They are both avg QB's that drive fans and coaches nuts with their refusal to throw anything over 10 yards

This year, Smith 9th in NFL for passes over 20 yards

Last year had more than Dak Prescott.

8 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

I wish we as fanbase would just stop looking for recycled qbs and debating on how they are better than drafting one. That's the problem with this team the past 17 years. We keep trying to convince ourselves that orton, fitz, tyrod, and others will be good enough if we just give them the best running game and the best d and magical pixie dust and we can win a super bowl. IT DOESNT WORK!!! Get A franchise qb in the draft, trade everything if need be and get the guy you think can be that guy. If it doesn't work then oh well we don't make the playoffs again. We are used to that but at least they tried to win it all 

So im assuming you are in favor of trading for Nick Foles?

I could not agree anymore. Before Foles it was Keenum.   Add in the factor of cost control at the QB position that allows fortifications for the rest of the roster for a period of five years. 

Just now, JohnC said:

You didn't carefully read what I posted. I stated that if you get Foles in a trade for McCoy you can still have your multiple high picks to use on upgrading the roster. I simply made the point that for those who would prefer one of the higher end qb prospects you still have the ability to do it if you want to. 

No doubt McCoy is our best player. However, he is a 30 yr old back who is not going to get the number of carries he has gotten in the past. You can bring in a quality back from the market who will be cheaper to replace him. Of course he will not be better but it will balanced out by getting a qb who can run a pro offense and is a much more proficient passer than what we currently have at qb. If the trade off is between a very good back whose carries are going to be less and a competent qb I will take that trade any time of the day. The era of having a pop warner offense needs to end. With the acquisition of a capable qb it will. 

Not one person has answered my initial question, “is Foles good?” Is he the guy that had a great year a few years ago & the guy of these playoffs or is he the guy that he has been the rest of his career? We are acting like Foles is an established star. We are basing everything off of Foles at his best. Maybe that is fair but he has been a bad player more often than a good one. You are comfortable giving him $100M after this year? If not, you are comfortable giving away your best player for 1 year of Nick Foles? It’s 1 or the other.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I cant argue with you this year but if you think that Alex Smith, before this year, was anything more than an average qb your standards are low. Im over settling for mediocrity I want our next Kelly, Elway, Montana, Brees and I don't think we should stop until we find that guy. I don't think Foles, smith, keenum, or Bradford are anything more than average QB's at best. Im done with those type of players at the qb position. Give me average DT or CB's instead of drafting them high and do what you need to in order to get a legit franchise qb

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

2016 https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-intended-yards

2nd last on aiy ( avg intended air yards) amongst qualified qbs

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not one person has answered my initial question, “is Foles good?” Is he the guy that had a great year a few years ago & the guy of these playoffs or is he the guy that he has been the rest of his career? We are acting like Foles is an established star. We are basing everything off of Foles at his best. Maybe that is fair but he has been a bad player more often than a good one. You are comfortable giving him $100M after this year? If not, you are comfortable giving away your best player for 1 year of Nick Foles? It’s 1 or the other.

No foles has not shown that he can be good consistently. I love your point because if we do trade for him we immediately need to extend him or its just stupid to trade for him in the first place.

Edited by Wsam4031
spelling
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand why the Eagles would want or need McCoy.  They are strong at RB and just brought in their main guy of Ajayi.  The interest in McCoy was prior to that trade.

Foles has substantially more value to the Eagles than McCoy would because Wentz is no lock to be ready by beginning of season, not to mention if he hits any setbacks along the way.  They ave RB's, but no one to play QB if Wentz isnt ready or suffers set backs.

....uh oh....common sense is on the loose.....on a more REALISTIC note, the Pack's running game is weak and Aaron is looking for more money so why not trade.......(COUGH)...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are twisting this argument into a something that is outlandish.  Who is suggesting that he should be given a $100 M contract? I hope you  don't take this in a negative way but you are being zany with your assumption that he is going to be given a gilded contract. Just stop with this foolishness. He currently has a two year contract that if traded will probably be upgraded. If it is at what Taylor is currently making then it would be a very reasonable contract. 

I am absolutely comfortable trading a 30 yr old back who without question is on the downside of his career. The carries he is going to have next year are for sure going to be less than what he had this year. You ask the question if Foles is good. My response is that he is a qb who has demonstrated that he can run a pro offense and can not only make all the throws but do it well. He is not elite. No one stated that. Is he a franchise qb? I won't either make that claim. What I can say is that he is capable and can be a dramatic upgrade at qb. 

Getting Foles doesn't necessarily mean that the Bills still can't draft a high end qb prospect. What having Foles would do is allow time for the prospect to be prepared to take over when he is ready. Would Foles be agreeable to such a situation? Why wouldn't he? He would be getting a raise and an opportunity to start. That is a better situation for him than being the backup in Philly. 

Aren't you tired of the hideous qb play that you have been subjected to over the past few years? If you are not, I am. If you want to make a change then you have to make a change. The status quo is not only acceptable but it is disgusting to watch. Tipster's proposal was not only reasonable but it would be a smart thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Then they will lose him for nothing after next year...dumb move by Philly...when a player has a perceived value so much higher than his actual value at some point in time(ie fresh off winning a super bowl and being MVP), and he has no real future with your team beyond a backup, you trade him...

Edited by matter2003